Far Cry 5

Designer1

On 02/04/2018 at 16:01, villa4europe said:

I dont know if ive made this comparison before but i think the MGS comparison is wrong, this game and many like it screams out for the MGS5 enemy AI mechanic, there is no learning curve at all, very little reward system, you get a high powered silenced sniper rifle with a decent scope and youve done this game in terms of difficulty, no more throwing stones hiding bodies etc just get on a hill shoot the alarms in case you miss someone and then pick everyone off

MGS5 was absolute genius in terms of reacting to how you played it, you attack in the dark and headshot everyone then they started wearing night vision goggles and helmets, you did a side mission attacking the helmet shipping container and they stopped wearing helmets...i dont know why no one has taken that idea and ran with it, far cry needs it

Agreed completely, Would love to see something like this so you need to vary your attacks a bit more.

Also Why not have the clothing actually make a difference, The enemy attacks are rather too frequent if you are travelling around the map, Every single person you encounter instantly knows who you are even a solo pilot in a plane can spot you in seconds. I know clothing is kinda pointless in FPS games anyway but seeing as they have included a bunch of clothes why not use them. If they know that you are wearing the same outfit on each mission sure you're easy to spot but change to something completely different and it could buy you a little time to go exploring without constant firefights

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, really enjoyed the gameplay, but the story was a bit odd. And..

Spoiler

not really a spoiler I guess, but killing each leader or whatever they're called was so easy and underwhelming.

• Like 1

I think they botched it somewhat, the story is really weak, and by the end, you sort of forget what the hell is actually going on. They could have explored more political themes and/or made it more compelling with the missions, 95% of it is just liberating outposts and that's really easy with the right guns. Another bizarre device is the way you routinely get captured as a way to progress the story. Why wouldn't they just do this to you all the time, given the ease at which it is accomplished within the game. Overall it's a fun game, looks great, lots to do outside of the story, but it's a 6/10 of game at the end of the day.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

On ‎07‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 18:21, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think they botched it somewhat, the story is really weak, and by the end, you sort of forget what the hell is actually going on. They could have explored more political themes and/or made it more compelling with the missions, 95% of it is just liberating outposts and that's really easy with the right guns. Another bizarre device is the way you routinely get captured as a way to progress the story. Why wouldn't they just do this to you all the time, given the ease at which it is accomplished within the game. Overall it's a fun game, looks great, lots to do outside of the story, but it's a 6/10 of game at the end of the day.

They're too corporate to make a game that has something to say. The trailers almost lead you to believe you're going to be fighting some variation of the KKK, but that would undoubtedly piss some people (racists) off. That's a loss in sales and Ubisoft can't allow that, so they make it as a vague and non assuming as they possibly could.

Compare this to the build to Wolfenstein 2 when neo-Nazis were complaining to Machine Games via Twitter and they just sort of laughed at them because you know, why wouldn't you.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I still havent got around to buying it as I have so many games I need to get through right now, thought it made sense to buy it a bit later when the price drops. I will buy it though as I loved 3&4

While we are on the subject, whats Primal like? is it like Blood Dragon where its a short mini game or is it a full on Far Cry experience? 

Far Cry Primal is a full Far Cry game, it clocks in at about 2 hours shorter than Far Cry 5 if you don't get side tracked and just plough through the story.

Whether you like it or not is another story, it's the most divisive game in the series which is why they swiftly went back to more traditional settings. If you can get it on the cheap though it's likely worth trying. 

• 1 month later...

Been playing this for a few weeks and really enjoying it. I've liberated John's area but it's a bit boring after liberating an area because there's no more enemies left to shoot at. Do they repopulate the area after a while? 

I quite like the story and setting although the population is suspiciously lacking in MAGA paraphernalia. 

• 3 years later...
On 02/04/2018 at 16:01, villa4europe said:

you get a high powered silenced sniper rifle with a decent scope and youve done this game in terms of difficulty

(4 years later, but) that's been the case with every Far Cry, ever, I think.

Anywho, I picked this up on the cheapy-cheap a couple weeks back and have been cracking on.  Have to say, it's possibly the most fun Far Cry entry since Blood Dragon.  Echoing what others have already said years back but the revamped reveal-the-overworld-objective mechanics are a long overdue and most welcome change, though all my frustrations have come from chatting to someone to get a quest/location and them immediately dipping out into combat and dying at the hands of a nearby enemy so I lose that location, or they steal the vehicle I exited to talk to them in the first place (though that did at least make me chuckle the first few times it happened).

Feels like the goal was to take what makes the Just Cause series fun and transpose it onto Far Cry's framework, and I have to say it's worked because this game is just pure fun.  I accidentally threw bait at an enemy instead of a knife as I forgot to switch my throwables, but then a cougar came out of nowhere and ate him.  Sniped a pilot out of a fighter plane cockpit, the plane then crashed into the exploding barrels of a nearby base and took out half the occupants.  Sending a dog into a location to scout out all the enemies, then sending in a bear to eat them all will never not be hilarious.

Some of the companion AI can be **** stupid at times ("oooh, look fire! I wonder what will happen if I run into it?") but still glorious when it all comes together.  Also not a big fan of being forced into story missions ahead of time, think I've missed out on at least two side missions as a result of unexpected story progression.

That being said, for anyone like me who runs a couple of years behind on getting games and hasn't played this yet, it's totally worth your time and relative pennies.

Â