Far Cry 5

Designer1

had a quick look, there are 3 shops that already have 4+ copies in

nothing ropey about that at all

CEX arent daft though, it'll be £50 for a couple of weeks, they trade it for £40, as much as i think i'll enjoy it God of War is out on the 20th if it holds its trade value i think i'll have smashed my way through it by then

• Like 1

Well quite a few peope have had it for 4/5 days now too. A couple of people on my friends list have the full 1000 gamerscore/achievements already. I know quite a few who will get through single player games in the weekend they are out then just sell them back on ebay/amazon/cex etc the next week and they pretty much get the full amount they paid back and basically a free rental.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Slightly disappointed to see slightly more average reviews from other sites apart from Gamespot and IGN but im sure I will love it, I skipped Primal which should help freshen it up.

I haven't read the reviews but I'm willing to guess the main bugbear would be a lack of innovation and not enough new elements to separate it from 3 4 and Primal.

Which is probably fair enough tbh. Like I said, if you liked previous versions you will enjoy this one. Just don't expect it to break massively away from the formula.

As it's a formula that I love anyway, I'm not complaining.

3 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I haven't read the reviews but I'm willing to guess the main bugbear would be a lack of innovation and not enough new elements to separate it from 3 4 and Primal.

Which is probably fair enough tbh. Like I said, if you liked previous versions you will enjoy this one. Just don't expect it to break massively away from the formula.

Perhaps a silly question, but how are you finding the setting?

For some reason I think modern day America must feel more out there for the series than Primal did...if that makes sense.

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

the reviews i've read seem to imply that its got away with it because its better than those games

just picked it up from Game (traded monster hunter in) do i want this edition "no" do i want the even more expensive edition "no" but it comes with the game pass "no i'll be trading it for GoW in 3 weeks" do i want to preorder GoW "no" do i have a card "no" do i want a card "no" do i have something else which i cant remember "no" do i want to insure my disc for £1 "no"

reminded me why i hate that shop

3 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Perhaps a silly question, but how are you finding the setting?

For some reason I think modern day America must feel more out there for the series than Primal did...if that makes sense.

It's an interesting setting and concept, and one that has caused much discussion. Of course as this is a Far Cry game and therefore needs to appeal to the masses, they have tried to tap into the underbelly of darkness by using a rocket launcher (basically, there are very strong themes, but they are executed with little to no subtlety).

On the plus side, I get to murder lot's of brainwashed, religious idiots - so every cloud eh? :D

• Like 2

Game's fun. Story/Narrative can do one though. It's trying to look at real world issues but doing it in a very Ubisoft way with no tact or balls about it.  I can't be the only one thinking they struck gold with Blood Dragon can I? Nothing has come close since

Put 3 hours in, its got problems imo, it does feel too familiar, its set itself up with a world that actually seems ok to me but the openess of it means that im too detached from it to care half the time especially the side quests, then the biggest problem for me is the gunplay starting assualt rifle feels garbage, the shotgun is good but the answer same as previous games is the bow which is fun buts its way too easy, gameplay is stay off the roads travel on an atv up and over stealth everyone in whatever location it is complete whatever task it was, this game desperately needs MGS5's tactic learning curve, ive had a look at the crafting side of it and the skill set side of it and theres nothing screaming out at me either that i cant wait to unlock

Its got the feel of a typical ubisoft 7/10 solid but unspectacular game which is disappointing because far cry for me was always the series that rose above ubisofts mundaness 

Some of the main story quests really need to grab me by the bollocks

It’s my day off today and I’ve been refreshing the CEX website to see if any local stores have any copies coming in. There wasn’t any near but then ‘pop!’, Halesowen popped up, the closest store to me. 

Jumped in my car and raced down there. I think the guy who had traded it in was still the shop.

All chores have been cancelled today, let’s get stuck in to this :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Have done about 14 hours so far and think i have only actually done 3 of the main story missions and one of those was forced. Same old farcry in a different setting but that is exactly what i wanted, the only real annoyance is the take weapon & loot button is the same so every time i go to loot a body i end up grabbing their crappy weapon too. Have mostly been hunting, fishing & finding some of the prepper stashes as these al have 3 perk points and $1000+ As ever all the perks have gone on bags to carry more crap/ammo & 4 weapons rather than 2. Always handy to have a rocket launcher/flamethrower as a backup for when you run out of arrows.

18 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Have done about 14 hours so far and think i have only actually done 3 of the main story missions and one of those was forced. Same old farcry in a different setting but that is exactly what i wanted, the only real annoyance is the take weapon & loot button is the same so every time i go to loot a body i end up grabbing their crappy weapon too. Have mostly been hunting, fishing & finding some of the prepper stashes as these al have 3 perk points and $1000+ As ever all the perks have gone on bags to carry more crap/ammo & 4 weapons rather than 2. Always handy to have a rocket launcher/flamethrower as a backup for when you run out of arrows.

Yeah, that's doing my nut in.

I'm enjoying it so far but the controls do seem a bit fiddly for some reason. Have the controls changed for driving? I'm struggling with that too.

put another 3/4 hours in last night, think ive got my head around what it is and the grievances i had are ebbing away, the mission with the big rig was fun, still dont think im fully engaged with the story or some of the "depth" like the buddy system and the simplification of the crafting system (where its now making drugs and bombs rather than say 3 rabbit skins and 2 feathers meaning you can hold more shotgun shells)

i think after this weekend o'll be well over the 20 hour mark

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

I'm enjoying it so far but the controls do seem a bit fiddly for some reason. Have the controls changed for driving? I'm struggling with that too.

Flying/Driving has always been a little wonky, It doesn't help that the controls are different for every vehicle. You can always take the easy way out i guess and set a waypoint and get it to auto-drive you there. Failing that get the airdrop perk, a parachute and just fast travel everywhere and use the parachute to land wherever you want to go

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I'm only a few hours in and the controls just seem a bit off and fiddly for some reason.

I have no idea if its for the better or not but I'm sure I had no issues at all with previous games.

Haven't had any major issues with the controls, I find them very intuitive.

The only bugbear with them is Loot/Take issue that was mentioned above.

I've put about 20 or so hours in now and it's just a massive slice of destructive fun. The only things I haven't enjoyed so far are the story missions that hit as soon as you get to a certain threat level with the 3 main siblings (they are a ball ache as they take you out of the game for a while) and the bloody planes that seem to constantly track you down, again as soon as a certain threat level is reached.

Apart from that it's an absolute hoot and a game that goes out of it's way to make sure you have fun.

Â