• Grealish
    • Grabban
    • Hepburn-Murphy (Hourihane 54)
    • Adomah (Hogen 72)
    • Davis (Snodgrass 82)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/03/18 at 17:30

Really for me this defeat was down to Bruce again. The last Fifteen minutes of the first half saw Villa looking very dangerous and I couldn't for the life of me see Villa failing to score.

However as soon as he changed it to a two up top after half time Villa lost their shape and potency. That was totally the wrong move and stank of panic.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Keith Andrews made a good point on sky when asked whats gone wrong with Villa.

He said "they have to rely too much on individual brilliance" not enough game plan.

We struggle against teams who have less talent but more team ethic.....and willing to scrap and fight more.

We get knocked out our stride/ game.....far too easily.

Nail meet head. We also rely very heavily on having a clean sheet. Early, silly goals tend to smash apart the game plan. Plan B tends to get made up as we go along. 

• Like 2

Thought we would get back in it in the first half, but we fell apart in the second. Completely lost the battle in the midfield, what was up with throwing all the strikers on?! Very disappointed with that. Playoffs seem to be where we can hope to be at. Might end in heartbreak since we seem to get outfought way too easily. Very worried.

Special shoutout to the ref for putting in one of the worse performances I've witnessed.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TRO said:

Keith Andrews made a good point on sky when asked whats gone wrong with Villa.

He said "they have to rely too much on individual brilliance" not enough game plan.

We struggle against teams who have less talent but more team ethic.....and willing to scrap and fight more.

We get knocked out our stride/ game.....far too easily.

I fully agree, we shouldn't make ourselves any illusions, this is the Villa we are. We don't have any real attacking game plan and no plan b. We are set up to be hard to beat and we rely on some individuals moments of brilliance or normal grit or luck to score goals. It works more times than not, but now and again we will get results like this.

It wasn't a particular bad performance from us, nor any shocking tactical faults this time, it was just the way it is. Had we had a bit of luck and gotten the first goal we probably would have won. BUt this is the Villa we are and that's why we probably wont get into the top two. We have a good chance of play offs though, which in itself it a bit of a roulette, but I'm still optimistic!!

• Like 1

Disappointed to wake up to this result. Can't comment on the game as I didn't see it. 

I know some have more optimism than me but I feel very uncertain about winning our way through the playoffs.

As much as I warmed to Bruce lately, I still think his fundamental flaw is he relies on the players make the difference with their individual play rather than a system if attack the players fit into.

18 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I fully agree, we shouldn't make ourselves any illusions, this is the Villa we are. We don't have any real attacking game plan and no plan b. We are set up to be hard to beat and we rely on some individuals moments of brilliance or normal grit or luck to score goals. It works more times than not, but now and again we will get results like this.

It wasn't a particular bad performance from us, nor any shocking tactical faults this time, it was just the way it is. Had we had a bit of luck and gotten the first goal we probably would have won. BUt this is the Villa we are and that's why we probably wont get into the top two. We have a good chance of play offs though, which in itself it a bit of a roulette, but I'm still optimistic!!

I think we lack a few players who can mix it a times like this,  a vinnie Jones if you like someone who can rattle a few cages and get our game back on the rails.

We are not good enough to rely on talent alone.

This league shows up an ability to lose your duels frequently.

Edited by TRO

19 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Throwing in 3 strikers and playing 4 of them at the same time was a bit of a deja vu from the Di Matteo school of desperation, have we done that this season?

Its when all is lost and nothing makes sense.

We do tend to create situations for other players where, you could say where have they been all season.

Adam Le Fondre today.......Eze and Luongo on Tuesday.

very dissappointed in our team.

Edited by TRO

Bolton reminded me at times of Jack Chartlon's Rep of Ireland (apt on St Patrick's Day) in that they knew they were up against more skillful players so they grafted harder and had a better TEAM ethic and it paid off. Furthermore, how many of their players could you name ? I bet Bolton fans know more of our's but reputation counts for eff all in this league.

We were too "fancy Dan" and didnt muck in.

Gonna have a lie down now...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Throwing in 3 strikers and playing 4 of them at the same time was a bit of a deja vu from the Di Matteo school of desperation, have we done that this season?

Phil Parkinson must be used to that by now.Was Bradford panic all over again.

Just got back, didn't see that coming, really thought we'd bounce back from Tuesday. Totally piss poor performance and we deserved to lose despite Bolton's thuggish tactics. The shape fell to bits later on, pointless having 4 strikers on the pitch and taking off the players who provide the ammunition... shit subs from Bruce, playoffs it is then. Have to concentrate on winning as many of these next 8 games as we can in order to take momentum into the playoffs now. 

44 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its when all is lost and nothing makes sense.

We do tend to create situations for other players where, you could say where have they been all season.

Adam Le Fondre today.......Eze and Luongo on Tuesday.

very dissappointed in our team.

Not the manager though ? Just asking.

58 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Disappointed to wake up to this result. Can't comment on the game as I didn't see it. 

I know some have more optimism than me but I feel very uncertain about winning our way through the playoffs.

As much as I warmed to Bruce lately, I still think his fundamental flaw is he relies on the players make the difference with their individual play rather than a system if attack the players fit into.

Trust me, no comment would be apt.

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

Yes. Automatic promotion is highly unlikely now but I'm not going to overreact.

It happens when we win. They'll be some choking on their words if we don't go up, that's no dig at you, but I think the bunting may have been taken out a little prematurely. Let's hope not though.

Â