• Grealish
    • Grabban
    • Davis (Taylor 54)
    • Hogan (Grabban 66)
    • Bjarnason (Hourihane 80)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/03/18 at 17:30

automatics have gone, manager should have tweaked the team following 2 games in quick succession, players need to have a good long hard look at themselves because that just wasn't good enough tonight.

no one is above blame tonight.

• Like 1

Just now, osmark86 said:

what about all the games we did win as expected?

I only started to expect us to win Saturday night. :)

We want gloom osmark, let us have it. Without it, it's not a real Villa experience.

1 minute ago, TheStagMan said:

I just think it is highly amusing that Bruce is never to blame when we lose but is a messiah when we win. Its a point that many people like to make when we win, so I will bring it up here thanks.

Just like he did well and should be congratulated for the performance at the weekend, he is absolutely responsible for tonight's shambles. A loss is not the end of the world but this was a capitulation. He needs to get the next game absolutely right. 

What would be amazing would be the absolute supporters of Bruce (you know the ones that like to make the sarcastic digs at people when Villa win) acknowledging that he screwed up tonight. That's all. No Bruce out campaign, no banners, no venom - just an acknowledgement that he got it wrong.  

Otherwise, as TRO said in another thread, we may as well put a pot plant in charge for the rest of the season if Bruce is not responsible for the losses. 

I blame Bruce for messing with the formation tonight in the second half and not telling the players (or getting his point across) to stop endless crossing when it clearly wasn't working. he should bare some of the blame tonight for sure. 

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

We looked sluggish in getting the ball back, we were all over the **** place at the back and we gave them 10 times as much space and time as we gave Wolves. Johnstone should save their first goal, and how there is not one claret and blue shirt near the cross for the second that went past 2 of their players INSIDE our box before jammily finding the dickhead who scored is beyond me.

Again I don't think you can blame Bruce or the coaches too much, they will have worked for one day with the same players that were excellent on Saturday. Why those players couldn't remember the basics of a formation they've been usign to win 10 of the last 12 before today is hard to swallow but for once I'll defend Bruce and say not his fault tonight.

I think that’s fair. It’s hard to question the starting XI, although Thor for Jedi and Lansbury for Hourihane would have made sense. The players looked sluggish and never won the ball in dangerous positions, allowing QPR to keep their defensive feet for 90 mins. 

However, the in-game management was terrible. We never really changed our approach, and the formation change must have been an idea born out of a lack of ideas. If we had any shape at all before that, we certainly lost it after. Just throwing strikers at a problem rarely solves anything, just ask Paul Lambert. At half time, Brucey might as well have played the boys a recording of last week’s radio wheather forecast, as they came out looking every bit as unaware there was a game being played as they did before the break. 

The players had a bad day, the manager had a bad day. I’m furious with all of them right now. But, I also trust them to bounce back and fight for every last available point. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AVTuco said:

I only started to expect us to win Saturday night. :)

We want gloom osmark, let us have it. Without it, it's not a real Villa experience.

hahaha, ok I'll let you have some gloom. but put on a smiley face if you go to the next game and scream your heart out in support willya? :)

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

I think he fielded the right team, they didn't perform, he dabbled with the formation and it didn't work out. he did get it wrong tonight in that sense. unbending defence? please...

No one, read this, no one who's a fan of Villa likes seeing shite performances like this. but not all villa fans and hungry as a starving dingo to go looking for all sorts of things to blame a botched performance on. we have been on an amazing run and in football sometimes you lose even when it's unexpected. do I think Bruce can fix this? yes. do the players need to have a look at themselves after tonight's performance? yes. are we doomed? hardly yet.

All sorts of things to blame a botched performance on..... like perhaps not having the team mentally prepared and getting the team selection wrong? he probably can fix this and I hope he does, but boy did he get it wrong today. 

Just now, TheStagMan said:

All sorts of things to blame a botched performance on..... like perhaps not having the team mentally prepared and getting the team selection wrong? he probably can fix this and I hope he does, but boy did he get it wrong today. 

like I said, it wasn't a faultless performance tonight neither by the players or by Bruce. he got it wrong. I just hope he gets it right next time and I have confidence that he will.

1 minute ago, osmark86 said:

like I said, it wasn't a faultless performance tonight neither by the players or by Bruce. he got it wrong. I just hope he gets it right next time and I have confidence that he will.

Agreed.

I hope you are right. 

What a come down after saturday! Time to consign that turgid performance to the past and focus on getting 3pts next Saturday. Let’s keep the faith and hope Cardiff can be as flakey as us in the future! If not then wembley beckons...

It felt strangely inevitable that the one day... possibly in the last 7-10 years I felt incredibly proud to be a Villa fan and believed we were couldn't lose on this form, would instantly mean that pride would be shat down the bog in less than a week.

As the first goal went in and our defence stood like statues you immediately felt everything would go QPRs way no matter what we did, i've never seen so many corners and crosses have zero impact and we never learnt we just kept doing the same thing. Grabban was nearly always the only man in the box and he didn't win anything, not blaming him but the QPR defence were well drilled and didn't have to really do much other than stand their ground as every cross was barely contested.

Can't blame Bruce, or any individuals, this was just a bad day at the office from a team who were over confident and underestimated their opposition.

Edited by VillanousOne

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Best not to ever expect a win.  At least won't be disappointed that way.

Exactly. Why do I do this to myself. I know this will always happen, and yet... 

I will never believe in our win before a game again. Never.

How very Aston Villa!

Both players and manager are culpable. I was happy that Bruce went with the same team, but he should have sent them out firing on all cylinders. That is what a manager does.

It is the sort of performance that we have become familiar with over the last couple of seasons, but I had thought we had got past that, especially after Saturday.

Automatic is gone now - forget it.

All is not lost - we will be in the play offs, but I think, unfortunately, Fulham would be favourites to go through.

5 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

It felt strangely inevitable that the one day... possibly in the last 7-10 years I felt incredibly proud to be a Villa fan and believed we were couldn't lose on this form, would instantly mean that pride would be shat down the bog in less than a week.

As the first goal went in and our defence stood like statues you immediately felt everything would go QPRs way no matter what we did, i've never seen so many corners and crosses have zero impact and we never learnt we just kept doing the same thing. Grabban was nearly always the only man in the box and he didn't win anything, not blaming him but the QPR defence were well drilled and didn't have to really do much other than stand their ground as every cross was barely contested.

Can't blame Bruce, or any individuals, this was just a bad day at the office from a team who were over confident and underestimated their opposition.

Bruce and the players are absolutely to blame. They showed on Saturday what they are capable of, and they should have hammered QPR tonight.

Â