Twitter How to Guide

blandy

Question

How to post a tweet in VillaTalk

VillaTalk guidelines ask that posters please post a link to tweets, rather than screenshots. This is because if a tweet is deleted due to legal issues, it also disappears from VT and we don't get into legal trouble. Here's how to post a link to a tweet.

If viewing twitter in a browser, do this: Click the little arrow next to the tweet (see picture) and a drop down appears - select "</> Embed tweet"

twit.jpg

then go to VT and in your posting/reply box simply paste the copied link (ctrl + v or cmd +v, or right click + paste). Next, see what happens. Most browsers will automatically embed the tweet. If it doesn't embed, you may need to click the "paste as plain text" link as shown below (or you can paste via ctrl + shift + v in a windows browser which also has the same effect as the "paste as plain text instead"):

Screen Shot 2.JPG

If you are using tweetdeck to view twitter, then at the bottom of each tweet are 3 little dots. Click the dots and then select "copy link to this tweet"

Screen Shot 1.JPG

Then as per the above, paste the link into VT in your browser

If you're using twitter for iPhone or iPad, then next to the tweet is a "forwarding" icon (an up arrow in a tray). Select that and choose “share tweet via”

9AEE93B5-965C-4BCB-9C3A-B59C605863C5.png

and then select the link icon for "copy link to tweet"

IMG_E0568.jpg

And paste the link into VT as above.

On Android, like on the browser, look for the little down arrow in the top right of the tweet. "Copy link to Tweet" (or "Embed Tweet" if there's no "copy link" option) and then paste it into VillaTalk.

Screen Shot.JPG

Screenshot_20180311-201542.jpgScreenshot_20180311-201621.jpg

Please allow 2-3 seconds for the site to format your post and make the tweet visible before clicking on "Submit Reply".

And a video (thanks to @Dick😞

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Risso said:

On the legal point, wouldn't the site be possibly compromised if there's a link to a libellous tweet that isn't deleted?  I'd have thought that would be far easier to trace than a screenshot.

Who knows? It's the tweet that's libellous, not the link to it. They'd need to make a case that by linking to the tweet we are also publishers. If someone makes that claim, I'd remove the post at my earliest opportunity.

A screenshot of the libel would definitely be libellous. Image searching is built in to good browsers and Google's spider is almost certainly OCRing all the images it finds, even if that data isn't visible (yet).

• Like 1

Yes, difficult area.  But take a tweet like that one about Jeremy Corbyn from that idiot Tory MP.  If someone on VT links to it, and it's up for a few days, presumably it can be tracked.  If after a week say, the person being libelled decides to take action, presumably they could track all of the websites it's been "published" on.  They'd be more likely to use this as ammo for the harm done to the individual's reputation than actually take action against the website itself I'd have thought, but the possibility is there.  If instead, someone has posted a screenshot, as it stands I don't believe there's any direct way of tracking that.  But then again, I suppose it automatically doesn't get deleted when the original one does, and you'd have to remember to delete anything libellous manually.

Difficult one, personally I just wouldn't allow links to Twitter at all, seeing as 99% of it is absolute moronic drivel anyway! 

3 minutes ago, Risso said:

Yes, difficult area.  But take a tweet like that one about Jeremy Corbyn from that idiot Tory MP.  If someone on VT links to it, and it's up for a few days, presumably it can be tracked.  If after a week say, the person being libelled decides to take action, presumably they could track all of the websites it's been "published" on.  They'd be more likely to use this as ammo for the harm done to the individual's reputation than actually take action against the website itself I'd have thought, but the possibility is there.  If instead, someone has posted a screenshot, as it stands I don't believe there's any direct way of tracking that.  But then again, I suppose it automatically doesn't get deleted when the original one does, and you'd have to remember to delete anything libellous manually.

Difficult one, personally I just wouldn't allow links to Twitter at all, seeing as 99% of it is absolute moronic drivel anyway! 

We're allowed a reasonable time to act when we're informed that something (might be) libellous.

Most twitter links on VT are to official news / sports sources. You spend to much time in bolitics threads :) 

I fully understand the reasons (explained above) for insisting that we post links to Twitter threads, rather than screenshots. 

The reason I sometimes fall foul of it is that I don't use Twitter, but I see tweets in Facebook posts that are not links, but are already screenshots. I guess I'll just have to not use them, but it's a bit frustrating. 

• Like 1

1163326554916737024?s=201163326554916737024?s=201163326554916737024?s=20

1163326554916737024?s=20

After a slapped wrist I'm testing this by slowly following the instructions step by step.

Using Brave on Android Tablet.

Chose random tweet to attach. Clicked 'Copy link to tweet'

Pasted in this box. Waited. 'Pasted as rich text' appears. Pressed enter. 'Your link has been automatically embedded' appears. Nothing shows.

Exactly as my original attempt (which is why I selected 'Display as link instead')

So where am I going wrong?!

1 hour ago, jackbauer24 said:

Your link has been automatically embedded' appears. Nothing shows.

When this happens, it HAS worked. Some browsers seem to struggle with immediately displaying the tweet, but it’s likely to have succeeded.

5 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Pasted in this box. Waited. 'Pasted as rich text' appears. Pressed enter. 'Your link has been automatically embedded' appears. Nothing shows.

Don't paste the link as rich text. I don't know which browser you are using, but it will have an option to "paste as plain text" or "paste without formatting".

5 hours ago, limpid said:

Works first time for me.

I've left it five minutes after 'automatically embedded' and still nothing.

So must not be able to quote tweets for some reason with this browser. I can see other people's quoted tweets but nothing I attempt to put up. Ah well, can't be bothered to work it out, just won't use it!

2 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

I've left it five minutes after 'automatically embedded' and still nothing.

So must not be able to quote tweets for some reason with this browser. I can see other people's quoted tweets but nothing I attempt to put up. Ah well, can't be bothered to work it out, just won't use it!

Clear your cookies and cache in case something has got stuck.

Think this guide needs updating as the opening post instructions are no longer valid

image.png.b41e331d697a335cf1ece0da01404b81.png

Clearly no option to copy link to tweet anymore as opening post suggests

another post to follow this (as cant upload more than 200k odd in one go).

I actually did this but my tweet didn't embed:

I clicked on the tray icon at the bottom of the tweet and selected copy link to tweet as highlighted in red in the image, so I'm not sure what I did wrong?

is there another way I was supposed to do this? 

image.png

15 hours ago, Junxs said:

Think this guide needs updating as the opening post instructions are no longer valid

Clearly no option to copy link to tweet anymore as opening post suggests

It looks like you now click on "embed tweet" and the link is at the top of the next page. I can't take screenshots at the moment if someone else can provide one, I'll update the first post.

15 hours ago, Junxs said:

I actually did this but my tweet didn't embed:

I clicked on the tray icon at the bottom of the tweet and selected copy link to tweet as highlighted in red in the image, so I'm not sure what I did wrong?

is there another way I was supposed to do this? Feel harshly done by getting a warning point for this when I've tried my best to follow a guide on the forum

I copied the link from the "embed tweet" page and "paste as plain text".

• Thanks 1

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"><a href="https://t.co/aDkrg5TSJE">pic.twitter.com/aDkrg5TSJE</a></p>&mdash; Jack Grealish (@JackGrealish) <a href="https://twitter.com/JackGrealish/status/1288781326800355331?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 30, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Any idea guys? I followed the advice in the OP

Edited by av1
Â