Transfer Window Summer 2018

VILLAMARV

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Mentioned him when he was released at West Brom and was shot down on here

Now I’m not an NI supporter but he’s a solid CB. No doubt about it. One season as I said and he’d be fine considering he’d be dropping down a division from the Premier League where he played last season. He’s definitely an option. Dominant in the air too.

This place would go into meltdown if we signed Mcauley, Even though he is still a decent player he is 39 in a couple of months and as he only started 5 games last year & came on a sub in another 4 you have no real idea how he would hold up playing regularly now after nearly an entire year off.  The 2/3 years before last season he was pretty much an every minute of every game player bar the odd match here and there so he could still do it at 36/37 but the legs will go at some point.

Given that we are pretty desperate for a CB and a striker, and the fact we can only have 1 more loan in the match day squad, i think we need to be looking to sign Terry for 12 months. Not only because of his experience but it also allows for that extra body. 

I know we are allowed 8 in total, but i don't see Bruce leaving any of the new lads out of the match day squad. 

3 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

This place would go into meltdown if we signed Mcauley, 

I can only speak for myself, but I'll go into meltdown if we have to go untill January with Jedinak as first choice CB 

9 minutes ago, av1 said:

I can only speak for myself, but I'll go into meltdown if we have to go untill January with Jedinak as first choice CB 

If we do, Steve Bruce has royally screwed up and should be given his P45 together with a letter explaining the reason for his gross misconduct!

It would be football suicide to only have one good centre back on the books. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, villarocker said:

If we do, Steve Bruce has royally screwed up and should be given his P45 together with a letter explaining the reason for his gross misconduct!

It would be football suicide to only have one good centre back on the books. 

There’s a still a week to go. No way are the club not doing everything in their power to sign at least one centre half. 

It wouldn’t just be down to Bruce surely. Everyone involved with the club including the owners must be questioning our defence.  

Maybe Bruce fancies a healthy payoff and a nice break from the game. Because that’s what will happen if this remains our back 4.

We, along with Derby, Middlesbrough,  Stoke, West Brom, Leeds and Celtic are trying to sign Nick Powell from Wigan.

Loan with a permanent £5m deal in January.

It's the internet so must be true.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sne said:

We, along with Derby, Middlesbrough,  Stoke, West Brom, Leeds and Celtic are trying to sign Nick Powell from Wigan.

Loan with a permanent £5m deal in January.

It's the internet so must be true.

Good player but not needed at Villa now. 

Need defenders!

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

Good player but not needed at Villa now. 

Need defenders!

Agreed. Don't even know where he'd fit in? Very good player who'd have to rotate with Grealish and McGinn.

31 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Agreed. Don't even know where he'd fit in? Very good player who'd have to rotate with Grealish and McGinn.

RB?

When in doubt the answer is always RB

Edited by sne
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Worried by the lack of CB links, tbh. The lack of which will ruin what has been an excellent transfer window in most other respects (in terms of incoming players). 

Bruce’s comments in the pre-game conference before Reading suggest he sees Jedi eventually fitting into the CB role. As much as I hope this is the case, I don’t think it’ll happen. Jedi’s aerial prowess is excellent but, as other posters have suggested, there’s more to defensive work in 2018/19 than having a slab for a forehead. 

I’m sorry to keep harping on about this issue but it’s a failing in the team that has the potential to be terminal. I’d certainly be targeting it if I was an opposition manager.

Unless Powell is pushing for a move I have no idea why Wigan would agree to such a deal. As others have mentioned, I also have no idea where Powell would play. Unless Bruce will drop McGinn back in to the Whelan role and let Powell and Grealish go crazy. Hmmmm.

28 minutes ago, villanmac said:

Still clinging onto the hope that two 46 game campaigns in a row is too much for  Terry so we've told him to have a proper rest over the summer and we'll pick you up in September/October...

Me too. 

I still think it’s unlikely though as surely the management structure would prefer to have his influence at the club while he’s resting.

I just don’t understand how anybody could have opposition to him coming back, if it was financially sensible. Owners included!

A new strategy of having young and hungry talent but (a) relying on Jedi and (b) developing youth we have no chance of keeping.

If we bring in a new CB that is up and coming, fine. But in the abscence of that just get JT back

Edited by VERB27
  • Like 1

Â