Transfer Window Summer 2018

VILLAMARV

2 minutes ago, sne said:

The flip side would be if the sale of Grealish is funding it.

Agreed, really don’t want him to leave.

But...if the whole team is enhanced by using funds from his sale, that would soften the blow. Worst case would be if we were just selling him for the sake of FFP and were unable to strengthen at all.

I don’t want him to leave though and we would be much stronger with him in the side, surround him with quality and we would really be a force to be reckoned with.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NIVillan said:

Selling Andy Gray funded the 1981/82 Sides

Selling David Platt funded Big Rons Team building

Selling Dwight Yorke brought in Merson, Dublin etc

Not always the end of the world if you use the funds right

agreed. it hedges your bet a little bit to bring in strength in depth rather than purely relying on one player and hoping that he avoids injury, loss of form, suspensions etc.

Just now, NIVillan said:

Certainly.

That's how almost all clubs have to operate, and how we should operate.

We've been terrible at it and that is a very big part in why we are where we are. 

It's just that it will be sad to see one of our own who is actually talented go. 

FWIW I think that if we get £40m or so for him it would be a triffic piece of business and us for once being on the right side of the silly English transfer market.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NIVillan said:

True, and don't forget selling Boateng funded Allback, De La Cruz, Postma and Mark Kinsella. Good times. Good times.

Seriously though, the club isn't going to spend this money on the back of selling Grealish, or the possibility of selling Grealish should Spurs match our valuation. Furthermore, they are new owners, they aren't going to bend over and sell our best asset at a sub-standard price.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NIVillan said:

Selling Yorke bought in Merson and Dublin?! Did it actually? 

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

but based on earlier info posted in this thread, £10K/week would probably blow Celtic's offer away. 

I hope we aren't offering stupid money to players again. One thing we have to do is build sustainably - not offer £30K/£40K a week deals. 

Yep wouldn't have to pay much to blow celtic away. Think Sinclair/Brown are on 25k but the rest including Griffiths are on well under 20 with most of them getting less than 10.

Doubt he is even on 5 grand a week at the moment ( Hibs average salary is about 1600 p/w ) so even if he was offered 8-10 i imagine he would be snapping hands off

Edited by LakotaDakota

Anyone think re-signing James Collins on a free might be decent business? I know he's a bit on the slow side but would be a decent option off the bench - at least better at CB than Jedinak.

1 minute ago, Folski said:

Celtic probably happy enough to let him go when he's not going to another Scottish team. Can't really hurt them playing in Championship.

And Celtic looking like signing Daniel Arzani on loan too so that's a fair bit of competition for places.

Looking at our squad, if it stays the same as it is we won't go up imo. 

If selling Jack means we can bring in 3/4 guys that go straight into the first 11 and improve it, and gives us a better chance of promotion, I'm all for it. 

The squad is desperately in need of quality additions, if the only way we can do that is by selling Jack then so be it. 

10 minutes ago, NIVillan said:

SO .....

How Many Seats we going to need at the Press Announcement :)     (For those old enough to remember older VT discussions)

I am going for 0 seats, just multiple twittery instagrammy thingymebobs.

40 minutes ago, NIVillan said:

We can't use the funds though if the FFP stuff is correct. We're selling Grealish to bring us in line with those regulations.

We'll be able to use very little of it.

Â