Transfer Window Summer 2018

VILLAMARV

On 19/06/2018 at 17:48, ferguson1 said:

If it's free transfers and loans, then we can still pick one or two decent players:

Gk - Krul, Caballero, Robles or Green

Def - Delaney, Huth, Collins

Mid - Adam, McCarther, Morrison

For - Hernandez

Loans -  Axel, Onomah, any kids from Man City or Chelsea and finally Snodders (ok, perhaps very unrealistic at this point). 

3 hours ago, Jareth said:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat!!!!!

Get Barry back and things look a lot different.

Not sure it would be  a good move. He isn't going to play Saturday, Tuesday in the Championship and he certainly hasn't got the legs for midfield. Maybe he could play in a back 3 (where he started his career at Villa.)

He isn't also much of a leader IMO. Those seasons when we were chasing 4th with O'neil, we drew so many games towards the end of the season and Barry never stepped up and banged one in the top corner like a Gerrard or Lampard would.

Nice guy, good pro, lovely player at times but not a real leader of men.

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

He isn't going to play Saturday, Tuesday in the Championship and he certainly hasn't got the legs for midfield. Maybe he could play in a back 3 (where he started his career at Villa.

A great shout. I'm sure he could do a job in the centre of our defence and he looked very comfortable playing there all those years ago. The only question is would be accept such a big cut in his wages to return home? If so, it's a taxi back to Villa Park for Mr Barry for me!

Edited by John
  • Like 1

It's a romantic notion, but haven't we got into a mess buying old players on too much cash? Not  a chance he'd come for that sort of wage imo. If he would and it was a one year deal then I'd love to see him back, was truly gutted when he left. 

1 minute ago, TheEgo said:

It's a romantic notion, but haven't we got into a mess buying old players on too much cash? Not  a chance he'd come for that sort of wage imo. If he would and it was a one year deal then I'd love to see him back, was truly gutted when he left. 

Pretty much where I am on this apart from bringing him back to Villa. Villa need to move on from seeking previous players way past their best unless it’s in a non playing role.

Great opportunity to promote the U23s and build for the future rather than keep going back to the tried and failed policy of buying players in the twilight of their careers.

• Like 2

I'd have Barry back if he was willing to accept an absolute pittance. I'm talking £2k p/w, or a similar amount that we would be otherwise paying to an academy graduate. For anything totalling £20k per month upwards, it's just not worth it. We can have the same level of quality and experience from keeping Jedinak or Whelan. But if he wants to come here to simply do his old club a favour then his experience would be welcome, but only if he comes for peanuts.

Can’t  believe people want Barry. He was shocking last season for Albion. He was part of the “taxi gate” situation which isn’t the type of characters we need. Let’s not forget when he came through he was known to like a party, and it was only by getting rid of hendrie did he stop that. Never been the quickest, but his legs have well and truly gone. 

Yes he was good in the past for us, but let’s not tarnish those memories. I have a feeling it would be another Lescott signing. 

• Like 2

I'd like Barry back because he loves this club, and he would show more commitment than most. He'd also be a shrewd signing and if it can be done then that is down to Bruce, not major wages. Get it done Steve!

What would signing barry achieve? Another old player with no chance of making money on and not really good enough to make a big impact on the team. 

Would be wasting more money and spending another year down here. Which is basically what i expect from bruce and xia for the upcoming year. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

What would signing barry achieve? Another old player with no chance of making money on and not really good enough to make a big impact on the team. 

Would be wasting more money and spending another year down here. Which is basically what i expect from bruce and xia for the upcoming year. 

A- would love it if he signs, B - if he signs, looking forward to flagging this post in about 6 months time.

6 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I'd have Barry back if he was willing to accept an absolute pittance. I'm talking £2k p/w, or a similar amount that we would be otherwise paying to an academy graduate. For anything totalling £20k per month upwards, it's just not worth it. We can have the same level of quality and experience from keeping Jedinak or Whelan. But if he wants to come here to simply do his old club a favour then his experience would be welcome, but only if he comes for peanuts.

6 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Getting rid of Jedi and Whelan and getting Barry in would save 50k a week and in my opinion improve that position. He also loves the club and you can get him involved with the youth. We need a stronger Villa presence running through the club. I’d even get Tony Daley back to do the fitness. 

• Like 1

Â