Transfer Window Summer 2018

VILLAMARV

23 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

Elphick would be right to be upset if he were replaced by Huth!

Why did Adkins at Hull go for Elphick and not Huth?

Let's hope that Huth is just a baseless rumour.

I would guess wages and a signing on fee may have also played a part ? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, romavillan said:

So Elphick is worse than no central defender at all? worse than fresh air? He scored and played all right, that's a contribution that fresh air is not going to give.

But of course we will not play with ten men. We will use another player.

My question is how do Elphick' s Villa performances make it mean that our other options (however poor they maybe!) are worse?

As whenever I have seen him he has been ponderous and flat footed,not especially strong in the air and not a very good reader of the game either.....

Or is it just that his official position is CB and that makes all of the difference? 

20 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

But of course we will not play with ten men. We will use another player.

My question is how do Elphick' s Villa performances make it mean that our other options (however poor they maybe!) are worse?

As whenever I have seen him he has been ponderous and flat footed,not especially strong in the air and not a very good reader of the game either.....

Or is it just that his official position is CB and that makes all of the difference? 

He was one of the best at this level when we got him, Jedinak is not a central defender and the fact he gets some stuff to bounce off his head may look great but given a run of games I'd back Elphick to be less of a liability. Jedinak is our first choice, who do you want to play in there if Chester, Axel and Jedinak get a knock? 

Letting Elphick go out before we had a central defender better than him to take his place is folly. Total lunacy, the work of a mentalist, a crazy **** bonkers shitbag of a mad man's mental musing of a footballing decision.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

He was one of the best at this level when we got him, Jedinak is not a central defender and the fact he gets some stuff to bounce off his head may look great but given a run of games I'd back Elphick to be less of a liability. Jedinak is our first choice, who do you want to play in there if Chester, Axel and Jedinak get a knock? 

Letting Elphick go out before we had a central defender better than him to take his place is folly. Total lunacy, the work of a mentalist, a crazy **** bonkers shitbag of a mad man's mental musing of a footballing decision.

Its difficult to argue with your reasoning . But if I'm honest I would be more worried seeing him ON the team sheet than off it...

There are many reasons why football managers do things and this decision will be played out to its conclusion in the next few weeks no doubt. Either we get results with the team Bruce has decided to stick with or we don't and he loses his job.

But you seem to be a little annoyed by Mr Bruce at present I can see, I hope results don't get worse......

I don't think Elphick is that good, but honestly if we let Elphick go on loan to sign a half fit Huth or Collins, I'd be furious. There is no way that Elphick is a worse option than two guys who haven't played in months, and zero clubs took a chance on so far. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I don't think Elphick is that good, but honestly if we let Elphick go on loan to sign a half fit Huth or Collins, I'd be furious. There is no way that Elphick is a worse option than two guys who haven't played in months, and zero clubs took a chance on so far. 

I hope we don’t sign him too. I’m sick of seeing Huthball down the Villa. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkLillis said:

Its difficult to argue with your reasoning . But if I'm honest I would be more worried seeing him ON the team sheet than off it...

There are many reasons why football managers do things and this decision will be played out to its conclusion in the next few weeks no doubt. Either we get results with the team Bruce has decided to stick with or we don't and he loses his job.

But you seem to be a little annoyed by Mr Bruce at present I can see, I hope results don't get worse......

Ha, the language was about the decision not Mr Bruce himself.

Fair enough that Elphick hasn't done a great deal to show we should be relying on him at the back. Fair enough IF we replace him with better, we didn't do that we replaced him with nothing at all. Replacing him with nothing at all is suicide as it stands.

15 hours ago, Czechlad said:

im willing to give either Huth or Collins a chance before calling it a worse option. 

Regardless, loaning Elphick out smells of a fractured relationship but credit to Elphick as he hasnt spoken out at all where others might have

20 minutes ago, Skills said:

Regardless, loaning Elphick out smells of a fractured relationship but credit to Elphick as he hasnt spoken out at all where others might have

Strictly speaking not entirely true.

“The manager gave his blessing for me to go out on loan without many centre-halves in the building so that says all you need to know."

“The last two league games I played for Steve, we beat Bristol City 5-1 and he took me out, then we beat Hull 3-1, I scored and he took me out again. The writing was on the wall after that.”

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/villa-hull-tommy-elphick-transfer-15120827

But then again he could have said much worse stuff I suspect. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

But then again he could have said much worse stuff I suspect. 

Indeed but he doesn't really have any credibility given that he was absolutely terrible throughout his time here and Bruce was right to get rid of him. The problem was that we missed out on that CB we were planning to sign from Le Harve. 

De Laet now set to join Melbourne...

Never given a chance at Villa, despite being the best player in pre-season and the team having a centre back at right back.

A failing from Bruce yet again.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/steve-bruce-set-sanction-loan-15145511

Ritchie De Laet is reportedly set to be offered an Aston Villa exit route by Melbourne City.

Reports in Australia say that De Laet, who has featured twice for Villa in the Carabao Cup this season, is poised to join Melbourne in a move which would see him reunite with former coach Warren Joyce.

De Laet came through at Royal Antwerp when Joyce was head coach there - and the defender joined Manchester United from Stoke City in 2009 on the recommendation of then United under-21 coach Joyce.

It is said that De Laet, who has a year left to run on his contract, will move to Melbourne on loan.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/steve-bruce-set-sanction-loan-15145511?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Steve Bruce set to sanction loan move for Aston Villa defender - report

Full back reportedly set to depart in latest Aston Villa transfer news

Ritchie De Laet is reportedly set to be offered an Aston Villa exit route by Melbourne City.

Reports in Australia say that De Laet, who has featured twice for Villa in the Carabao Cup this season, is poised to join Melbourne in a move which would see him reunite with former coach Warren Joyce.

De Laet came through at Royal Antwerp when Joyce was head coach there - and the defender joined Manchester United from Stoke City in 2009 on the recommendation of then United under-21 coach Joyce.

It is said that De Laet, who has a year left to run on his contract, will move to Melbourne on loan.

Villa sent striker Ross McCormack on loan to the A-League side last season.

De Laet has made 14 appearances for Villa since arriving in 2016.

Earlier this year, De Laet was suspended by the Royal Belgian Football Association and fined €1,200 for making ‘obscene gestures towards a referee'.

The 29-year-old right-back had departed Villa temporarily in January and made 14 appearances for Antwerp in the Belgian Pro League.

The incident involving the former Leicester City defender, who signed for Villa in a £2.5million transfer two years ago, occurred during a match against St. Truiden.

Chuba Akpom, who was on loan at Truiden from Arsenal, challenged Antwerp goalkeeper Sinan Bolat and De Laet reacted angrily.

The Belgian defender can be seen clearly making offensive signs and gestures in the direction of referee Christof Dierick.

Dierick booked De Laet but the Disputes Committee then reviewed the footage.

Initially, federal prosecutor Gilles Blondeau demanded De Laet be given a one-match ban and a €400 fine – but commission president Hubert Poncelet handed the De Laet a bigger penalty.

De Laet apologised for his ‘highly inappropriate gestures’ at the hearing and his lawyer, Thomas Machtelinckx, requested for the one-match suspension not to be increased.

De Laet also claimed the gestures were not aimed towards the official.

Non sensical.

Someone suggested maybe to free up wages for Terry.

Could think of alot of others players I would rather let go.

FFS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

On the face of it this is a ridiculous decision!

Easily good enough for this level and probably our best option on the right!

Love to know the reason.

I imagine the reason is he's come back from a long injury and is behind Elmohamady, Bree, Axel and Hutton in the pecking order.

We might not agree with that (I'd certainly have him ahead of Axel and Bree), but I imagine that is the reason.

We have too many rightbacks so he's getting rid of some.

Edited by Stevo985

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I imagine the reason is he's come back from a long injury and is behind Elmohamady, Bree, Axel and Tuanzebe in the pecking order.

We might not agree with that (I'd certainly have him ahead of Axel and Bree), but I imagine that is the reason.

We have too many rightbacks so he's getting rid of some.

I don't know what else he can do other than prove it on the pitch as he did in pre season. Bree is the one who needs the loan....right age to benefit too.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I don't know what else he can do other than prove it on the pitch as he did in pre season. Bree is the one who needs the loan....right age to benefit too.

Yeah I agree.

But I imagine that is the reasoning.

• Like 1

Â