Transfer Window Summer 2018

VILLAMARV

2 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Out of interest, what score would people give our transfer business (signings only) out of 10 if we failed to sign a CB and / or ST today?

Difficult one as individual signings have been good. McGinn a particular gem. But overall 6/10; largely imbalanced, not covering pertinent areas. IMO defence is severely lacking. 

Slightly OT but unlikely to gain promotion with current first choice back 4: Axel-Chester-Jed-Hutton (3 players out of preferred position; bonkers selection). Would rather see a little more balance back there, even if players are individually less talented. An arguement for the sum of parts. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Out of interest, what score would people give our transfer business (signings only) out of 10 if we failed to sign a CB and / or ST today?

I think it's difficulty to put a number on it without context. 

Firstly i think we've only signed 2 players on permanent deals with the rest being loans. 

Now without turning another thread into another Bruce bashing exercise, i never like to see so many loans in the first 11 because like last season with the guys on loan, its highly probably that next season will see yet another rebuild.

That said, and here is where i defend Bruce. If the new owners came in straight after the play-off final the amount of loans would have been a stick to beat him with, but they didn't. He hasn't had much time at all to build after the mayhem of the last few months, so whilst i don't like loans, he's possibly made the best of a difficult situation. 

All that said, going into the season with Jedinak at CB would be suicide, the next few hours has a massive impact on the ultimate outcome of the window.

7/10 - If we go as we are.

8.5/10 - If we can Wrap up Steptoe and Abraham.

1 minute ago, av1 said:

7/10 - If we go as we are.

8.5/10 - If we can Wrap up Steptoe and Abraham.

Harold not happening - staying in France according to Bruce. Elphick will leave. Ridiculous gamble if no other CB brought in.

2 minutes ago, eholm said:

Harold not happening - staying in France according to Bruce. Elphick will leave. Ridiculous gamble if no other CB brought in.

Where have you seen that mate?

5 minutes ago, John said:

Linked with Pape Souare a left back at Palace by the Birmingham Mail. He is a 28 year old Senegal international who they signed from Lille for £3.5m in 2015. He has made 60 appearances for them.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-been-linked-premier-15093778

Although he has made 60 appearances for Palace, they must have been when he firsts signed for them. It looks like he has had a lengthy absence from the game, making only 5 substitute appearances in the last two years after a bad car accident. I would be wary of this, but it is not my decision. If he has fully recovered physically and mentally then he might be worth a gamble.

4 minutes ago, eholm said:

Being reported by local written press (Mail, ES etc) following Bruce chat with them this morning. ?

Just watched his press conference. He starts talking about the window at about 8mins. Says we are close to 1, and hopes for 2. No mention of Harold being off.

For anyone interested:

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It's not I watched the press conference a while ago not once has he said that.!

Agreed, i watched it the press conference aswell. To be fair to the poster, a few journos like Tom Ross and others on twitter are reporting on quotes from Bruce saying it's unlikely. 

Nothing was said in the press conference so I'm not sure if he talks to rags afterwards?  

6 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Bruce said he was pleased with how Bree done the other night so I’m guessing he’ll be used as a CB cover if we don’t get anyone in. 

There have been a few baffling decisions by the club and manager over the years but this would be right up there if it works out that way. 

9 minutes ago, sne said:

If we move Chester to DCM

have Hutton at LB

Tuanzebe at RB

and Jedi and Bree at CB we could field a defensive line with everyone playing out of position :hooray:

Throw De Laet in goal

26 minutes ago, sne said:

If we move Chester to DCM

have Hutton at LB

Tuanzebe at RB

and Jedi and Bree at CB we could field a defensive line with everyone playing out of position :hooray:

Still not as bad as O'Neill playing Reo-Coker at right back!

• Like 1

Â