Pre Match Thread

TheAuthority

On 06/03/2018 at 20:29, TheAuthority said:

Well this is a big one for many reasons. Automatic promotion, local pride and we should also have have fit squad (bar Hutton & Kodjia) for the 1st time since the end of our 7 match winning run.

I hope we go back to mostly the team that was part of that run which includes Thor to give us energy in midfield. Who to plays up top is probably the biggest question but I would go for Davis.

Johnstone

Elmo           Chester         Terry          Taylor

Thor            Hourihane

Snodgrass          Grealish             Albert

Hogan/Davis

Good side, but with Grabben up front for me. He has been very impressive. 

• Like 1

We can beat them if we play to our best, offensive and in their face.

If we try to hold them for the first half hour, which may be what Bruce will go with, I would worry that we would not even get a draw.

Show no fear - to me that's the way to go. ALA Fulham. Wolves are a good side, but have shown they are beatable.

And Grabben up front, not Davis or Hogan (both of which I like) but we will need goals, and to me Grabben is the guy for this game. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

After watching Wolves tonight I think it's imperative that we have Thor in there to track their runners from midfield. He has the engine to keep up with them and support the attack. Wolves are going to play it on the deck so we don't need Jedi's heading prowess in the middle.

Also I would go with Davis up top. I know the majority want to see Grabban there but I think the ball will stick more with Keinan. He gives us an out ball with his ability to hold up play and lay it off to our wingers. Leeds didn't have that tonight and the ball just kept coming back at them. 

Johnstone

Elmo            Chester         Terry          Taylor

Thor     Hourihane                        
Snodgrass             Gresford           Albert

Davis

ps we saw Wolves score twice from corners tonight. I hope they've been drilling Johnstone all week on corners because he has been so weak on them all season.           

Wolves are a big side we need jedinak for his height and power.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

TBH im just glad Whelan is out of the picture, he would be last of the 3 for me but would have played IMO.

My worry is that we tend to get closed down too easy and Wolves are proficient at that.

If we can impose our game on them like we did against Bristol, we will be ok.

that is my only concern.

• Like 1

Got to be Grabban and Thor, not Jedi And Hogan.

Hogans not been great, but his best asset has been his movement. Grabban has been at least equal to it, plus he holds the ball up better, is better in the air, appears more confident, is more robust, and is scoring.

Jedi ? In my humble opinion that’d be a huge mistake. He is a terrific screener but I’d sacrifice that for Birkirs mobility.

Then Jedi, Hogan, Davis, Lansbury, OHare, Josh on the bench.

Thats considerably better than what we put out at their place and, if we play to our potential, good enough to beat any team in the League.

• Like 4

Johnstone

Elmo        Chester        Terry     Taylor

Jedi

Snodgrass Hourihane  Grealish  Adomah

Grabban 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, supermon said:

I just dont see Bruce setting us up to attack and for that reason I think we will lose. 

did John Terry play in the away fixture against Wolves?

yep. Elmo - Chester - Terry - Hutton at the back that day. Snodders and Adomah out wide. Whelan and Hourihane in the middle and Kodjia and Davis up top.

We can win, but I am fearful.

We tend to have lapses during games, and Wolves are good at taking advantage. 

But, I agree with those saying we cannot stand back and wait. We need to go after them.

In a game as big as this, infront of a sellout under the lights, it will be unforgivable if we set out to contain rather than take the game to Wolves. If we leave nothing out there and still lose, I can accept that. But with Cardiff nailed on to beat Small Heath we have to go all out to win this. Bruce: - Deliver unto us.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

This is a really tricky one. Wolves battered Leeds on set pieces yesterday, and are a real threat from them with great delivery from Douglas and a lot of height (three CBs plus a tall striker in Bonatini/Afobe). However, if we played Jedi I fear he would get overrun in open play as wolves play it low and quick, and personally I think that seeing as wolves are likely to have a lot of the ball that this is a bigger threat.

Only way I can think around this is by playing Tuanzebe right back (if fit) to get a bit of extra height in the team, and then Thor CDM, and hope that Terry/Chester/Tuanzebe can hold the fort at set pieces. Gonna be a tough game though whichever way - Wolves were terrible against Fulham but they seemed back to their best against Leeds, and obviously Ruben Neves is due to come back which will only make things a lot harder. However, we are on a good run and back to near full strength so should be a tricky proposition ourselves! That is, as long as we don’t play 4-4-2 like we did at Molineux - that was an absolute shambles, we got completely overran and barely touched the ball all game. I’d go same team as at Sunderland, with Bjarnasson for Whelan and Grealish for Hogan, and Grabban up top by himself in either a 4-1-4-1 or a 4-3-3.

Weirdly, I think picking BB over Jed would be a bit of a negative move.

Got to play to our strengths. As others have said there are some big boys in the Wolves team and I think his aerial prowess is a strength of ours either at set pieces or open play. Like Carlos said above playing 442 at molineux we got our arses handed to us. However it took a slip from Elmo and a lucky break off a last ditch tackle from Hutton for them to score that day (they 100% deserved the win - not sour grapes or anything).

If Gresford's fit the only question is who plays up top for me - and on current form it's got to be Grabban imo.

what is the general thoughts of how Wolves setup.....I would imagine Neves will be back, but the team against Leeds was :

Ruddy

Boly - Coady--Batth

Douglas - Saiss- N'Diaye-Doherty

Jota-Bonatini- Cavaleiro

3-4-3

My concern is will Douglas and Doherty......negate our threat from Albert and Snoddy high up the pitch?

We need to find a way of exposing their back 3 on the floor as they are well equipped in the air.

I think it will be a battle of the flanks?

Interested to see your comments.

ps I think our full backs could be a weak link.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, Carlos_the_third said:

This is a really tricky one. Wolves battered Leeds on set pieces yesterday, and are a real threat from them with great delivery from Douglas and a lot of height (three CBs plus a tall striker in Bonatini/Afobe). However, if we played Jedi I fear he would get overrun in open play as wolves play it low and quick, and personally I think that seeing as wolves are likely to have a lot of the ball that this is a bigger threat.

Only way I can think around this is by playing Tuanzebe right back (if fit) to get a bit of extra height in the team, and then Thor CDM, and hope that Terry/Chester/Tuanzebe can hold the fort at set pieces. Gonna be a tough game though whichever way - Wolves were terrible against Fulham but they seemed back to their best against Leeds, and obviously Ruben Neves is due to come back which will only make things a lot harder. However, we are on a good run and back to near full strength so should be a tricky proposition ourselves! That is, as long as we don’t play 4-4-2 like we did at Molineux - that was an absolute shambles, we got completely overran and barely touched the ball all game. I’d go same team as at Sunderland, with Bjarnasson for Whelan and Grealish for Hogan, and Grabban up top by himself in either a 4-1-4-1 or a 4-3-3.

Fulham were on the front foot the whole game, Leeds sat back against them.

It was not really down to Wolves, both games were dictated by their opposition. That is why I would like us to get into them from the start.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Carlos_the_third said:

Can't play 3 in midifield, we simply don't have dominant enough midfielders for that. However,What we do on the flanks will determine our outcome.

Edited by TRO