Monzo

Tayls

Just signed up for a Monzo account. Going to use it to transfer a few quid into which I can use for spending freely. Anyone else with these guys? What are your experiences etc etc.... 

I have been using them for a while.

I use it for things like Uber where I don't trust them with anything but a PAYG card. They also have really good forex rates.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tayls said:

Just signed up for a Monzo account. Going to use it to transfer a few quid into which I can use for spending freely. Anyone else with these guys? What are your experiences etc etc.... 

What made you choose it over an account from a main UK clearing bank?

1 hour ago, Xela said:

What made you choose it over an account from a main UK clearing bank?

My boss became a member a few months ago, and told me about it. He showed me the app and the various things that you can do - such as splitting bill payments and sending it out to others who are with Monzo or have Apple Pay etc. He then got a golden ticket and passed it onto me. 

It just seemed like the sort of interaction that I, as a ‘tech minded’ person, like to have - looking at the site and their general approach, it’s just more fitting. Free to spend abroad, fairly decent withdrawal limit before fees. 

My wages still go into one of the main banks, I then pay x amount into another one which is where I pay my mortgage. Having this Monzo account as well means I can put a bit of cash in to spend on whatever whilst I save the rest! 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

Signed up today, a friend shared a Golden ticket. It took 5 minutes to sign up and become verified. My card should arrive mid-week. The coin jar feature sounds like a good idea, I'm planning on using this account for incidentals so it should get a fair amount of use. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been with Monzo since early beta, I use it for my leisure money or unplanned spending. It's been great for tracking casual spending on nights out etc, although I'm quite prudent with money so it hasn't really changed my spending habits hugely. 

Spending abroad has changed a few months back, but it's still pretty cheap. 

I like it, bit it'll never be one of my main accounts because I always switch for sign up rewards high street banks offer. 

Â