Your Best 11

Dave J

Bosnich

L Young   McGrath  Laursen  Barry

Milner            Delph         A Young

Angel        Benteke      Bent

Edited by alreadyexists

I have just given my head a wobble - I clean forgot about Merse:( I think I am taking out Ray Graydon from the starting 11 slotting in Merse and replacing Gareth with Ray on the bench 

34 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Rimmer

Gidman

Mcgrath

Laursen

Swain

Rioch

Mortimer

Cowans

Little 

Gray

Saunders

I like this team - loved Kenny Swain's attitude- my only quibble Saunders over Shaw ? I loved Deano and when his name got chanted it was awesome but Shaw for me is the most naturally  gifted striker I have seen in a Villa shirt - but nevertheless a really great pick 

1 hour ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

And in the upsidedown it would be:

Postma

Bacuna        Richards         Tiler       Bennett

Dawkins  Djemba-Djemba  Sylla     Tonev

Helenius       Bowery    

How some of the players ever made it to the PL let alone the same team!

Can’t speak for before the late 90s - but I always find the sheer lack of quality we’ve had at right back always comes to light when this topic crops up.

Teams with Luke Young and Delaney, both solid pros and wouldn’t let you down, sure. But compared to the players we’ve had at centre back (McGrath, Laursen, Mellberg, Southgate) or up front (Yorke, Benteke, etc), it just strikes me as a little odd.

I actually think Kyle Walker is the best I’ve seen at VP at RB. No longevity obviously (which will count against him for this) and was still raw, but was excellent for that season and cropped up with a couple of goals too.

Edited by Cizzler
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Dave J said:

I'm a bit bored with not much going on so thought I'd ask the question- no doubts it been done numerous times but here is mine :-

1. Bosnich

2. Gidman

3. Gibson

4. Laursen

5. McGrath

6. Cropley.

7. Graydon.

8. Shaw.

9. Gray.

10. Sid

11. Morley

subs= Withe. Saunders. Yorke. Little. Southgate.

this was hard so many top players I had to overlook 

Cropley was an interesting choice for me......I loved to watch him .....a technician with a tackling bite of a cobra.

what a player.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cizzler said:

Can’t speak for before the late 90s - but I always find the sheer lack of quality we’ve had at right back always comes to light when this topic crops up.

Teams with Luke Young and Delaney, both solid pros and wouldn’t let you down, sure. But compared to the players we’ve had at centre back (McGrath, Laursen, Mellberg, Southgate) or up front (Yorke, Benteke, etc), it just strikes me as a little odd.

I actually think Kyle Walker is the best I’ve seen at VP at RB. No longevity obviously (which will count against him for this) and was still raw, but was excellent for that season and cropped up with a couple of goals too.

I agree, I made the same reflection, it was hard coming up with a RB. I totally forgott about Walker, he was really good the half a season he was here!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, meregreen said:

Rimmer

Gidman

Mcgrath

Laursen

Swain

Rioch

Mortimer

Cowans

Little 

Gray

Saunders

Swain played right back mainly as did gidman - are you playing 2 right backs ?

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

No Pongo Waring. Shame on us all.

Another surprise exclusion, so far, Tony Dorigo, incidentally, was he a left or right back ? Without doubt, a good player.

Left back 

• Like 1

Jimmy Rimmer

John Gidman

Allan Evans

Paul McGrath

Colin Gibson

Dennis Mortimer

David Platt

Gordon Cowans

Brian Little

Peter Withe

Juan Pablo Angel.

Subs: Bosnich, McNaught, Williams, Morley, Deehan, Shaw, Dublin

Mark Bosnich

Kenny Swain

Martin Laursen

Paul McGrath

Colin Gibson

Stan Petrov

Gordon Cowans

Brian Little

Gary Shaw

Dwight Yorke

Tony Morley

Bench - Withe, Carew, Mortimer, Barry, Platt, Spink, Evans

• Like 1

Well, although I liked Villa for about 14 years now, I wasnt really following up well since then. So from where I begin following up regulary I'd say:

For the last couple of years im really not sure who was the best keeper but i'd say

Friedel

Walker         Vlaar         Dunne        Barry

Downing       Milner        Delph     Young

Gabby        Benteke

Dunne, Gabby, Friedel are replacable. And Im talking about them at their best seasons.

Â