What's your accent?

StefanAVFC

19 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

People in the UK can tell I'm a Brummie, but I've never really had it emphasised in the way I have on VT.  It's usually described as a "twang".

I never thought I had an accent either until my friends picked me up on it. The other day a little shit of a kid pulled me up on my pronunciation of Monday. According to him he thought it was hilarious I was saying "muhn-die"

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

I must say, I've been quite surprised by the response to my accent in that video.

Even accounting for the "lad banter" amplifier, on a messageboard that's predominantly Brummies I'd have thought people would think I just sounded "normal".

Living in Canada, people typically thought I was Australian.  I'm guessing it would be due to the A and I sounds.  I don't have the inflection at the end of my sentences that you'd get in Australia or on the west coast.  It's either that or they just didn't recognise me as sounding particularly English or American so took the other option.

People in the UK can tell I'm a Brummie, but I've never really had it emphasised in the way I have on VT.  It's usually described as a "twang".

You sound really brummie.  

I've been told I sound South African and Australian loads of times.  Must be the "A" sound. 

36 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

You sound really brummie.  

I've been told I sound South African and Australian loads of times.  Must be the "A" sound. 

I don't understand this. I got it when I first moved to Leeds - "Are you Australian?" But to my ears, Australian vowel sounds are much more like cockney than brummie. 

If I asked for a pint of mild in a pub, I used to get given lager. How the hell does the brummie "moild" sound like the Leeds "laaaager"? (In the end I decided that it was because few people drank mild, so if I wasn't asking for bitter, I must have wanted the most common alternative). 

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I don't understand this. I got it when I first moved to Leeds - "Are you Australian?" But to my ears, Australian vowel sounds are much more like cockney than brummie. 

If I asked for a pint of mild in a pub, I used to get given lager. How the hell does the brummie "moild" sound like the Leeds "laaaager"? (In the end I decided that it was because few people drank mild, so if I wasn't asking for bitter, I must have wanted the most common alternative). 

It's because we enlongate our vowels.  Brummies tend to speak quite slowly compared to other accents, people parody "alroight maaaate" all the time.  So whilst you're probably right on the southern sounding vowels, it must be the enlongation of them which makes "out of towners" struggle to pin point where it's from. 

Americans and people from Portsmouth have gotten my accent wrong mostly.. 

6 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

It's because we enlongate our vowels.  Brummies tend to speak quite slowly compared to other accents, people parody "alroight maaaate" all the time.  So whilst you're probably right on the southern sounding vowels, it must be the enlongation of them which makes "out of towners" struggle to pin point where it's from. 

That makes sense. Except that in my case, I most definitely do not speak slowly. Even now I get picked up for gabbling really fast. 

On 26/02/2018 at 20:00, mjmooney said:

There's an Android app called 'English Dialects'. I've just downloaded it, but haven't tried it yet. 

Although, of course, dialects are not quite the same thing as accents. 

Not a bad guess. 

Screenshot_20180304-105607.png

Â