What's your accent?

StefanAVFC

1 hour ago, Risso said:

That's sort of the point I was making.  When I lived around Wigan and Bolton for 12 years after university, you could really tell the difference in accents between Wigan, Bolton, Chorley, Preston and St Helens, despite them all being only a few miles apart.  If you weren't from there, you'd probably just think "Lancashire accent."  It'd be the same for someone up north with the places you mention, they would just think they were a similar sounding variation on Brummie.

With all this talk of accents, one must spare a thought for @bickster.  If the Scouse and Brummie accents are generally held to be the most unlovely in the UK by the general population, that poor sod has got a weird mashup of both of them! :P

And South Walian

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ikantcpell said:

Scouse and geordie are the only two english accents i have trouble understanding, sounds like chinese to me.

There were some scaffolders on site where I worked. I could hear them, but couldn’t for the life of me work out what language they were speaking. It wasn’t till I was walking a bit closer that I realised they were actually Geordies.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My mum is a geordie, I don't hear it but my wife says that my mum has still got a strong accent, she moved from Newcastle in the mid sixties.

Yep, Geordie tends not to shift. My late mother-in-law moved to Devon from Newcastle immediately after the war. She still sounded Geordie to her dying day. 

One of the pubs I worked in had a few bedrooms. We had this guy stay once - kept asking if we still had the Hungarian Chef? Me and the other guy who'd been there a few years were racking our brains. We got him to describe him to us and the sort of time he was talking about and we both clicked at the same time and said "No mate, that was Davey, He's from Wolverhampton" :)

• Haha 3

I remember being at an away game many years ago with @blandy and @LancsVillan (probably Blackburn).  There was a bloke they seemed to know who had the strongest Yam Yam accent I've ever heard.  I don't remember his name, only that he had funny teeth and I literally couldn't understand a single word he said.  I resorted to saying 'no' and 'yes' at random times and hoped that it basically tallied with what he was saying. 

20 minutes ago, Risso said:

I remember being at an away game many years ago with @blandy and @LancsVillan (probably Blackburn).  There was a bloke they seemed to know who had the strongest Yam Yam accent I've ever heard.  I don't remember his name, only that he had funny teeth and I literally couldn't understand a single word he said.  I resorted to saying 'no' and 'yes' at random times and hoped that it basically tallied with what he was saying. 

Was he called Geoff Lunn? 

People in Scotland think I sound Brummie, people in Birmingham think I'm Welsh, people in Wales think I'm Scottish. My accent is a mess.

I shared an office with a woman for 4 years and one day she started asking me all about Newcastle. Turns out she'd spent all those years thinking I was a Geordie.

34 minutes ago, Risso said:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Risso said:

Jeff the Yam Yam, from Pelsall. Very nice bloke.

5 minutes ago, Risso said:

Dunno, 40 or 50 odd maybe? Was a long time ago as I say.

So, he could be my age? I mentioned upthread about my Wolves mates at uni, and they were always on about a mate of theirs called Geoff/Jeff, who was a legend for being the most broad yamyam they'd ever known. I've got a vague feeling I may have met him once myself - and the 'dodgy teeth' thing seems to ring a bell. His favourite term of endearment was "Yo yowseless kuntraption" (trying to avoid the swear filter, while indicating the distinctive pronunciation). 

30 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So, he could be my age? I mentioned upthread about my Wolves mates at uni, and they were always on about a mate of theirs called Geoff/Jeff, who was a legend for being the most broad yamyam they'd ever known. I've got a vague feeling I may have met him once myself - and the 'dodgy teeth' thing seems to ring a bell. His favourite term of endearment was "Yo yowseless kuntraption" (trying to avoid the swear filter, while indicating the distinctive pronunciation). 

Unless I'm mistaken (and am talking about a different bloke) Risso is mistaken about the gentleman's age. I reckon he's now maybe 50+ something, so perhaps (he says politely) Jeff/Geoff is a little younger than yourself, Mike, oh and also his teeth, not Shane McGowan by a long way, just a few a bit crooked. But the rest is eerily reminiscent. #YamYam

• Thanks 1

I must say, I've been quite surprised by the response to my accent in that video.

Even accounting for the "lad banter" amplifier, on a messageboard that's predominantly Brummies I'd have thought people would think I just sounded "normal".

Living in Canada, people typically thought I was Australian.  I'm guessing it would be due to the A and I sounds.  I don't have the inflection at the end of my sentences that you'd get in Australia or on the west coast.  It's either that or they just didn't recognise me as sounding particularly English or American so took the other option.

People in the UK can tell I'm a Brummie, but I've never really had it emphasised in the way I have on VT.  It's usually described as a "twang".

Â