What's your accent?

StefanAVFC

51 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

At Uni I lived in a house of 8. 4 of us were from Birmingham.

One of the non-Birmingham lads said when he went home (to York) his friends teased him for managing to pick up a Brummy accent whilst at university in leeds.

Funnily enough I went to Uni with a shed load of Northern Irish people (in Surrey!). I found myself saying Norn Iron phrases on a regular basis, as a result.

• Haha 1

I find accents in the UK really fascinating, especially when you look at how different they can be in a very short distance.

If you were to go from Liverpool to Manchester via St Helens, Wigan and Bolton, you'd find all the accents quite different in what is about a 30 mile radius.  Similarly in Yorkshire, with say, Huddersfield and Leeds.  I suppose the same would be true for Brum/West Brom/Wolverhampton.  I think most people have an idea of what a Lancashire/Yorkshire/Birmingham accent sounds like, but it's only when you live somewhere that you realise how very different they all can be.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Risso said:

I find accents in the UK really fascinating, especially when you look at how different they can be in a very short distance.

I remember when I was at school we went on rugby tour to Ireland.

One of the games got a bit rowdy and the irish team started taking the piss out of us. but they did it by mocking us in scouse accents.

Which at the time we found really really weird. As none of us were remotely scouse.

But I guess it would be the same as us doing generic irish accents to mock them. We might do Dublin accents and they would be from Cork, and it would sound totally wrong to them (they WERE from Dublin, but you get my point)

Made me think hwo hard it is to recognise regional accents in other countries. It's hard enough in your own.

Edited by Stevo985

I always think of the state's when thinking of that, most of us can probably think of 5 - 10 stereotypical east, west, NYC, Bronx, Brooklyn, deep south, fargo accents thanks to popular culture but you don't seem to have the number and contrast of accents in say California or Texas as we do here 

Foreign language countries it's hard to tell

These are the broad divisions that my ears can distinguish: 

Posh RP

London and SE

West Country

Welsh

West Midlands

East Midlands

East Anglia

Liverpool

Manchester

Lancashire

South Yorkshire

West Yorkshire

North East England

Posh Scots/Edinburgh

Glasgow

Hebrides

Northern Ireland

Dublin

Cork

Obviously, there a lot of variations on those, but I'd examples to demonstrate the differences. 

15 minutes ago, Risso said:

You can surely tell the difference between Brummie and Yam Yam?

Yes, I can, because I'm a Brummie. But to most outsiders would say they're pretty much the same, and they have a point. I sometimes give people examples, e.g. the word "you" - in Brummie it rhymes with "go", but in Black Country it rhymes with "cow". And a lot of the differences are to do with dialect and usage, as much as accent - "yow'm" for "you are", etc. 

It's like with - say - Geordie and the Wearside/North Yorkshire accent. I can hear there's a difference, but I still think of them as generically similar. 

5 hours ago, Risso said:

If you were to go from Liverpool to Manchester via St Helens, Wigan and Bolton, you'd find all the accents quite different in what is about a 30 mile radius.  Similarly in Yorkshire, with say, Huddersfield and Leeds.  I suppose the same would be true for Brum/West Brom/Wolverhampton.  I think most people have an idea of what a Lancashire/Yorkshire/Birmingham accent sounds like, but it's only when you live somewhere that you realise how very different they all can be.

My dad was a plumbers merchant and you could tell the difference between the plumbers accent by even just a few miles.

Lads from Rowley Regis had differences in their speech to the ones from Halesowen; Cradley was different again etc. It always fascinated me and I can't believe there's anywhere else in the country where the dialect ranges so vastly in such a short distance.

9 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

My dad was a plumbers merchant and you could tell the difference between the plumbers accent by even just a few miles.

Lads from Rowley Regis had differences in their speech to the ones from Halesowen; Cradley was different again etc. It always fascinated me and I can't believe there's anywhere else in the country where the dialect ranges so vastly in such a short distance.

There used to be a lecturer at Leeds University who was THE expert on UK accents - it was he who identified the Yorkshire Ripper 'taper' as being from a particular part of Sunderland (of course, that was a hoax, but not his fault). He taught a friend of mine, and his standard trick in the first tutorial was to pinpoint every student's precise origin by listening to them speak. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

That's sort of the point I was making.  When I lived around Wigan and Bolton for 12 years after university, you could really tell the difference in accents between Wigan, Bolton, Chorley, Preston and St Helens, despite them all being only a few miles apart.  If you weren't from there, you'd probably just think "Lancashire accent."  It'd be the same for someone up north with the places you mention, they would just think they were a similar sounding variation on Brummie.

With all this talk of accents, one must spare a thought for @bickster.  If the Scouse and Brummie accents are generally held to be the most unlovely in the UK by the general population, that poor sod has got a weird mashup of both of them! :P

• Haha 1

Â