Iron - EYE'n 

Naturally - NATCH'r'lee

Aluminium - aller-MIN-yum

GIF - (huh?) GIF!

New Orleans - nyoo or LEENZ

Crackerjack - CRACK-a-jack

Doorknob - DOR-nob

Alabama - alla-BAMMER

2. What is it called when someone throw’s toilet paper on the house?

WTF? 

3. What is that bubbly carbonated drink called?

Eh? Which one? Coke? Seven-Up? Schweppes' Tonic Water? Vimto? (EDIT: Oh I see. Pop). 

4. What term do you use for gym shoes?

Pumps.

5. What do you call your grandparents?

I don't have any. 

6. What do you call the thing with wheels used to carry groceries in the supermarket?

A trolley. 

7. What do you use to change channels on TV?

The remote. 

EDIT: Of course, all the above is about pronunciation (and culture) - it merely indicates that I'm British, rather than (North) American. It gives no clue as to which regional accent I have. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Agree with all the pronunciations with @mjmooney. Although I say “JIF”, not “GIF”. How else would one pronounce “door knob”?

In the US, kids have been known to throw toliet paper on people’s houses at Halloween. The house was “TP’d” (tee peed). The result looks like kind of how you might decorate a Christmas tree with tinsel, just with a house and toilet paper.

• Thanks 1

Just now, tonyh29 said:

According to Rob , mine is a cockney accent ... But to me it’s just an accent that speaks proper English not like those weird people North of Watford 

If yo are gunna be a Villa fan, it's about toime yo lerned to speak proper Brummie. 

In the past I’ve found that I occasionally (and unintentionally) mimic accents when I’m talking to someone with a strong accent. **** knows what that’s about, thankfully I haven’t done it in a while.

I don’t think I have a particularly strong West Midlands accent, but when I meet someone from outside the area I get told I have. The flip side of that, is as my old man’s a Londoner, I occasionally get asked (by locals) if I’m from the south. The odd “larf” instead of “laff” slips out for instance.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

In the past I’ve found that I occasionally (and unintentionally) mimic accents when I’m talking to someone with a strong accent. **** knows what that’s about, thankfully I haven’t done it in a while.

I don’t think I have a particularly strong West Midlands accent, but when I meet someone from outside the area I get told I have. The flip side of that, is as my old man’s a Londoner, I occasionally get asked (by locals) if I’m from the south. The odd “larf” instead of “laff” slips out for instance.

I think most people do that to some extent. 

• Like 1

There's an Android app called 'English Dialects'. I've just downloaded it, but haven't tried it yet. 

Although, of course, dialects are not quite the same thing as accents. 

1. Accent challenge word list: Aunt, Envelope, Route, Theater, Caught, Salmon, Caramel, Fire, Coupon, Tumblr, Pecan, Both, Again, Probably, GPOY, Lawyer, Water, Mayonnaise, Pajamas, Iron, Naturally, Aluminium, GIF, New Orleans, Crackerjack, Doorknob, Alabama.

2. What is it called when someone throw’s toilet paper on the house?

3. What is that bubbly carbonated drink called?

4. What term do you use for gym shoes?

5. What do you call your grandparents?

6. What do you call the thing with wheels used to carry groceries in the supermarket?

7. What do you use to change channels on TV?

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1cZcasqDnnS

I think mine is a generic home counties non entity accent with a bit of oop north chucked in. 25 years of being around the NW has led to me saying bath and grass rather than barth and grarse.

I hate hearing my own voice being played back too. I'll give it a bash tomorrow. Whenever I've worked away, or been out of the region on a night out, I've always been told I sound like a brummie. Far from it though. I didn't think Rugeley folk had a brummie twang, until I heard several people on a tv show from Rugeley, and they all sounded proper West Midlands. It's weird, because I never hear it normally. 

I can’t be bothered to record mine, but if I did I suspect it would sound laughably RP. I’ve had to do a couple of recordings while doing my English course in Uni and I sounded like I was reading the news for BBC in a decade long gone. 

My «natural» English accent is less posh, but doing most my English speaking trying to teach it as a second language, it’s become very polished. In the past, I’ve been told I have a hint of Irish in my accent but I suspect I tend to slightly adapt my accent to whatever native accent I’m talking to. Except for when I go to the US, where I try my hardest to sound as British as possible - they tend to find that quite exotic, especially away from NYC and I can’t truthfully do an American accent without sounding like I’m parodying it. 

If I’m in London, it’ll probably be fairly close to RP, but it tends to change if I’m further north. Never did master a Brummy accent, though, even if I’ve been there far more times than any other place outside Norway. I suspect it’s because you hardly ever hear it in international media. 

Edited by Michelsen

My accent will be quite similar to whoever I've been talking to for the last 10 minutes.

I'm working in Cardiff, Bromsgrove and London and sound roundly south walian, brummy and cockerney on various days.

I was in Gloucester all weekend drinking heavily with the locals, by Sunday lunchtime it was like the wurzles had **** the cast of the Archers.

But give me half a day with me old school mates at the local football and I've got the coarsest strongest local accent going. You'd do well to understand what the merry **** I was talking about. Not unlike my written stylings.

• Like 1

Lost my Walsall twang years ago. Whenever I'm chatting to anyone from the midlands it comes straight back though.My Mrs thinks it's hilarious, on the phone, face to face it don't matter it's still in there! Worked with a woman from Walsall for a few years a while back. We may as well have been talking martian some of the time as far as our Welsh colleagues were concerned.

Suppose after a decade or so in Cardiff I'm a bit more South Walian these days than I probably realise. When I lived in Sheffield I picked up the accent in a few months. Pretty much everyhere I've lived I've picked up the accent with the notable exception of my Devon years. That one never took root.

Everyone's voice sounds different when you record it and hear it back. Apparently we're missing the resonance around our skulls so our voices generally sound more bass-y to ourselves than they are. I'm sure @Xann will be the one to tell me if that's an urban myth though!

Edited by VILLAMARV
  • Like 1

What do you call your grandparents?

5 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Lost my Walsall twang years ago. Whenever I'm chatting to anyone from the midlands it comes straight back though.My Mrs thinks it's hilarious, on the phone, face to face it don't matter it's still in there! Worked with a woman from Walsall for a few years a while back. We may as well have been talking martian some of the time as far as our Welsh colleagues were concerned.

Suppose after a decade or so in Cardiff I'm a bit more South Walian these days than I probably realise. When I lived in Sheffield I picked up the accent in a few months. Pretty much everyhere I've lived I've picked up the accent with the notable exception of my Devon years. That one never took root.

Everyone's voice sounds different when you record it and hear it back. Apparently we're missing the resonance around our skulls so our voices generally sound more bass-y to ourselves than they are. I'm sure @Xann will be the one to tell me if that's an urban myth though!

That would be hilarious for me. Midlands accent and I'd instantly switch to mine too but here's the thing...

Welsh accent - I'd do that as well

They'd think I was taking the piss except I genuinely can't help it. Mixed Brummy / Scouse / Welsh company and my brain just fries

I don't have a Scouse accent btw but I do use many of the colloquialisms.

My normal accent is a complete hybrid

Â