Pre Match Thread

TheAuthority

13 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

There is no snow forecast on Saturday  in Birmingham up to 8 in the evening and it will be above freezing during the day. Relax it will be on.

Heavy snow  forecast on  Friday  afternoon  if that happens it will make no difference whether the pitch is playable or not  - safety regulations will be first and foremost and rightly so .

A forecast high of 1 deg by noon on Saturday would hardly melt several inches of snow - we wait and see if the forecast is correct . 

‘However it’s a changing picture and we may just miss it .

Edited by Eastie

12 hours ago, Eastie said:

Heavy snow  forecast on  Friday  afternoon  if that happens it will make no difference whether the pitch is playable or not  - safety regulations will be first and foremost and rightly so .

A forecast high of 1 deg by noon on Saturday would hardly melt several inches of snow - we wait and see if the forecast is correct . 

‘However it’s a changing picture and we may just miss it .

uKcPjm.jpg

Thanks for the update Eastie :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

There is no snow forecast on Saturday  in Birmingham up to 8 in the evening and it will be above freezing during the day. Relax it will be on.

I think you are wrong,  a red warning has been issued for midlands and southern england.

i would say there is a high probability this game as well as many others will be called off this weekend  

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Any idea when the decision will be made whether to cancel the game? Traveling up from the South so would need to know early-ish on the morning of the game at the latest.

I couldn’t tell you for definite mate, but I think these decisions are made around noon on the day itself.

I would guess that they only way we would know sooner is if the snow gets much worse on Friday to the point when it’s obviously going to be called off.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I couldn’t tell you for definite mate, but I think these decisions are made around noon on the day itself.

I would guess that they only way we would know sooner is if the snow gets much worse on Friday to the point when it’s obviously going to be called off.

They would definitely have to make a decision like 9am Saturday latest. it would be ridiculous to leave it any later . if it is going to as bad as they say it would be on beyond stupid to let the game going ahead 

33 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Any idea when the decision will be made whether to cancel the game? Traveling up from the South so would need to know early-ish on the morning of the game at the latest.

Ext few hours are going to be pretty bad apparently - depends how bad or gets , I think the pitch will be fine but it’s going to freeze the snow tomorrow so unlikely to thaw much if at all .

if the game is in doubt id expect an inspection early Saturday morning unless the snow is such that it’s clearly not going to be on . 

‘I think you will know by 9 am on Saturday at the latest .

the problem is safety of fans as well and with temperature on Saturday it’s not going to thaw 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

They would definitely have to make a decision like 9am Saturday latest. it would be ridiculous to leave it any later . if it is going to as bad as they say it would be on beyond stupid to let the game going ahead 

Agreed  , risks of injury to players or fans will be a main factor - at the moment we’ve not really been hit by snow but it’s imminent - old easties weather cock  senses it ;)

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I've been to games which were called off by the ref when he arrived. I think the only way it happens sooner if it is cancelled for safety reasons.

2 minutes ago, limpid said:

I've been to games which were called off by the ref when he arrived. I think the only way it happens sooner if it is cancelled for safety reasons.

Safety reasons would be the main concern - I think the pitch will not be the problem but the surrounding area - if it’s as bad as they forecast - they are  often wrong 

A few games already being called off for Saturday including sheff utd . 

‘Seems a lot of pitch inspections tomorrow , as yet the weather in west mids not really seen that much snow but a changeable outlook so we wait and see   

The only reason it will be called off is due to safety reasons as Villa has under soil heating. A bit of snow and everyone starts to flap. Couldn't we all just agree to delay it 24 hours to the Sunday? If this called off then that is almost certainly the last 3pm home game this season with 2 months to go, as the  Derby game will be moved as well. 

18 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

The only reason it will be called off is due to safety reasons as Villa has under soil heating. A bit of snow and everyone starts to flap. Couldn't we all just agree to delay it 24 hours to the Sunday? If this called off then that is almost certainly the last 3pm home game this season with 2 months to go, as the  Derby game will be moved as well. 

No chance of delaying till sunday . There has to be sufficient police notice - the weather doesn’t seem as bad as forecasters said but it will turn it ice which could pose a big risk to safety , Only time will tell .  

It's horrible right now - driving through Birmingham is treacherous - if it keeps on through to tomorrow morning (as it's forecast to do) then I'd think the game would be a serious doubt.

A pity, because ticket sales were looking good and it'd be nice to keep everything on schedule, but if the game was tonight I'd definitely think twice about it and I'm only about eight miles away.

30 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's horrible right now - driving through Birmingham is treacherous - if it keeps on through to tomorrow morning (as it's forecast to do) then I'd think the game would be a serious doubt.

A pity, because ticket sales were looking good and it'd be nice to keep everything on schedule, but if the game was tonight I'd definitely think twice about it and I'm only about eight miles away.

Yes it’s certainly arrived with a vengeance now and forecast for more snow tonight and tomorrow - I think there will be few games escape postponement this weekend - most of the country seems to be hit bad .

the met office have now updated out[r snow warning to Amber as it seems storm emma has a mind of its own and is a forecasters nightmare - now heading further north and east than expected .

Edited by Eastie