Weekends Football 25/27 Febuary/29 Febaury/1 March

andykeenan

8 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Almost as bad as when Arsenal spanked us in the FA Cup Final. It is bizarre that Wenger has won 7 FA Cups, yet no League Cups.

Sure he somehow managed to lose to blues and Alex McLeish

There is one Arsenal fan on the live text on the BBC saying the rot has well and truly set in, and that he thinks Arsenal will be relegated in the next three years if Wenger stays. :D

I know things haven’t been great for them recently, but that is a big statement!. I can’t say I watch them a lot other than MOTD highlights, so is he correct to be worried, or a spoilt brat who is throwing his toys because his team have gone a couple of seasons without winning something?

1 hour ago, NeilS said:

I can’t say I watch them a lot other than MOTD highlights, so is he correct to be worried, or a spoilt brat who is throwing his toys because his team have gone a couple of seasons without winning something?

Obviously they won't be relegated. They do however need to get rid of Wenger as soon as possible and get him as far away from the club as possible. Once they get a proper manager in they have the money to compete again. 

Sevilla punished by comically playing out from the back and Costa gets an easy goal.

Surely this bullshit trend has to end soon, its one of the worst things in modern football unless your Manuel Neuer.  The best keepers Buffon, De Gea just kick it anywhere if needs be and keep the ball away from the goal

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

Sevilla punished by comically playing out from the back and Costa gets an easy goal.

Surely this bullshit trend has to end soon, its one of the worst things in modern football unless your Manuel Neuer.  The best keepers Buffon, De Gea just kick it anywhere if needs be and keep the ball away from the goal

It's all down to decision making and awareness. 

The better goalkeepers know when to play out and when to hoof.  The best goalkeepers are great at kicking.  There are loads of keepers who try and be this Neuer, but they aren't capable of it.  They should stick to safety first - but they don't. 

Just turned on the Swansea vs Sheffield Weds game on the BBC.

What a terrible atmosphere and the stadium looks 2/3's empty - for a 5th round FA Cup tie. Without sounding like an old fart I can remember the 5th round of the FA Cup being a prestigious exciting thing. Criminal that it's so undervalued.

not sure what the foul for the first is for. edit; now I am. Llorente is pulling the arm off the defender to get in front as the ball is played in.

the penalty decision is correct. rules state that if foul contact continues into the area a penalty must be given.

again, the taking of the penalty was correctly punished to the letter of the law. I’m unsure why it wasn’t a retake, but i’m not sure what the law on that says or if it has been changed.

Edited by a m ole

11 minutes ago, a m ole said:

again, the taking of the penalty was correctly punished to the letter of the law. I’m unsure why it wasn’t a retake, but i’m not sure what the law on that says or if it has been changed.

was a game recently with Newcastle I think when ref did similar and was said that he was wrong. Think Matt Ritchie took it

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

was a game recently with Newcastle I think when ref did similar and was said that he was wrong. Think Matt Ritchie took it

just had a throrough look at it seems if he deemed son’s stopped run up an attempt to trick the goalkeeper the correct outcome is a caution and indirect free kick. Good decision for me.

as far as I can see all three decisions made are well within acceptable interpretations of the law. I find the constant uproar mental.

What I would change, on balance, is the automatic use of it for goals. I think it would remove some controversy if it was only used if the pitch referee requests to as he wasn’t sure, or if the VAR referee believes the pitch referee missed something.

16 minutes ago, a m ole said:

as far as I can see all three decisions made are well within acceptable interpretations of the law. I find the constant uproar mental.

What I would change, on balance, is the automatic use of it for goals. I think it would remove some controversy if it was only used if the pitch referee requests to as he wasn’t sure, or if the VAR referee believes the pitch referee missed something.

I think I mostly agree with you but I think the automatic use for a goal is pretty reasonable as goals are the defining moments of games. I can see why people may have an issue with the pull back by Llorente being given as a foul as that is the only debatable use of VAR I've really seen.

Out of interest, the Times has the longest of the delays for VAR decisions in the Spurs game clocked at 1 minute 32 seconds (the penalty decision on Trippier). Too long some may say but not the 5 or 6 minutes that people are claiming. I think the main issue in the Spurs game was that it was used a lot more than in your average game.

Â