Formula One - 2018

BOF

16 hours ago, villakram said:

So weird, doesn't feel like an open cockpit anymore. The drivers are all being very diplomatic about it so far, but I wonder what they really think.

I imagine they'll be overwhelmingly in favour of it.

Unless it seriously hampers their field of vision, which given the feedback so far, it doesn't.

The final 5

Ferrari SF71H

Screenshot_6.jpg

Mercedes F1 W09 EQ Power+

f1-mercedes-amg-f1-w09-launch-2018-lewis

McLaren Renault MCL33

MCL33_Website1.jpg

Force India Mercedes VJM11

racefansdotnet-00003-1.jpg

Toro Rosso Honda STR13

f1-toro-rosso-str13-launch-2018-toro-ros

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I imagine they'll be overwhelmingly in favour of it.

Unless it seriously hampers their field of vision, which given the feedback so far, it doesn't.

Sainz has suggested Halo in the rain could be a visibility issue :lol: I assume when the rain hits it at speed it becomes a finer spray and a fog-effect windscreen.  We'll see.

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

Sainz has suggested Halo in the rain could be a visibility issue :lol: I assume when the rain hits it at speed it becomes a finer spray and a fog-effect windscreen.  We'll see.

Yeah I'd not really thought about the rain. Interesting.

But outside of that the feedback I've seen has been positive. I'd expect drivers to be in favour of things that stop them getting their head caved in.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I'd not really thought about the rain. Interesting.

But outside of that the feedback I've seen has been positive. I'd expect drivers to be in favour of things that stop them getting their head caved in.

Drivers of open cockpit racing tend to be madder than the norm as we know.  Hulkenberg for example is not in favour of Halo.  And while we're espousing the importance of safety measures, rain is when F1 is at its most dangerous, so if Halo is indeed dangerous when it's raining then frankly that's a **** hilarious own goal on the part of the organisers/rule makers :crylaugh: 

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

Drivers of open cockpit racing tend to be madder than the norm as we know.  Hulkenberg for example is not in favour of Halo.  And while we're espousing the importance of safety measures, rain is when F1 is at its most dangerous, so if Halo is indeed dangerous when it's raining then frankly that's a **** hilarious own goal on the part of the organisers/rule makers :crylaugh: 

I've read the Sainz comments just. i think you've got it slightly wrong (unless he's made other comments too)

He said it was a concern because it stops the raindrops from landing on the visor, so drivers can't tell if it's raining or not. So probably an issue in light rain conditions.

If anything it sounds like it improves visibility in the rain.

Edited by Stevo985

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I've read the Sainz comments just. i think you've got it slightly wrong (unless he's made other comments too)

He said it was a concern because it stops the raindrops from landing on the visor, so drivers can't tell if it's raining or not. So probably an issue in light rain conditions.

If anything it sounds like it improves visibility

Damn it, the below line popped my balloon! :rant: 

"However Sainz said visibility was “not an issue” on the whole with the Halo"

I wonder if the the lip on the Ferrari halo is legit or just for the snazzy press release material as everyone else has overlooked any modifications. Pretty much every team has significantly complained about how it effects the aerodynamic performance of the car and the effort required to integrate it correctly over the winter.

Sainz' comments make me want rain every race :ph34r:

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, villakram said:

I wonder if the the lip on the Ferrari halo is legit or just for the snazzy press release material as everyone else has overlooked any modifications. Pretty much every team has significantly complained about how it effects the aerodynamic performance of the car and the effort required to integrate it correctly over the winter.

Good spot.  You'd imagine it's something that'll be tweaked so long as it doesn't affect the safety element.

1 hour ago, villakram said:

It is on the car today, Not just a lip either. Seems to be a proper air vent of some sort

x6C8Zcr.jpg

rtm5vdF.jpg

• Like 2

Encouraging to see Toro Rosso right at the top of the mileage charts.  They'll need reliability first and foremost with the Honda setup.  Ferrari have 178 laps from the first 2 days, Mercedes have 177  & STR are 3rd with 175.  Over all of its constructors the Merc engine has 451 laps, Renault 424, Ferrari 413 & STR are the only Honda on 175.

Just now, LakotaDakota said:

It is on the car today, Not just a lip either. Seems to be a proper air vent of some sort

If Stevo is right then perhaps they'll argue they've not modified the halo itself but just added something extra to it.

• Like 1

Hmm looks like there is some leeway allowed on the top section with some sort of fairing/winglet allowed upto 20mm

Toro Rosso were trying them at the end of last season too

bXupNU8.jpg

This is from Charlie Whiting :

"I think teams haven't explored the full range of possibilities to make them look a little more pleasing to the eye. We've only seen the bare designs and even when Williams ran with a white one it looked a great deal better - I think you'll agree.

"The possibilities the teams have, we will allow a 20 mm distance from around the main tubes at the top in order for them to fit fairings. I think they will come up with some different designs. I don't think it will be quite as bad as you think.

"They have to use the standard Halo which will be made by a single supplier and we will allow them to use non-structural fairings around the upper part which can be no more than 20 mm from the main structure and I think there is an overall width restriction and a restriction on how far they can encroach on the cockpit opening.

"20 mm is quite a lot all the way around and they can do what they like with that. The main reason the first place was to give them scope to overcome any aero changes they have got to make, for example on the air box or things like that, if they want to redirect the flow."

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/283338/1/teams-able-to-make-aero-tweaks-around-halo-whiting

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

x6C8Zcr.jpg

rtm5vdF.jpg

It's a wing on the halo, possibly ingenious... we'll know it's useful if any of the other teams try it out. 

McLaren still seem to be struggling so far in pre-season testing. Only decent time they set was on the hyper soft tyre.

Toro Rosso Honda seem to be ticking along quite nicely.

You couldn't make it up :D

• Like 1

I sure hope Force India are sand-bagging.  Either that or they're in trouble.  They haven't finished higher than 8th in any of the 6 days testing so far (28/02 was a snow-out), haven't done a lap of note and it's not like they're using slower tyres either.