Formula One - 2018

BOF

7 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

They should just get rid of blue flags completely. If you're fast enough to be a lap in front you should be fast enough to overtake the slowpoke in front of you

?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

They should just get rid of blue flags completely. If you're fast enough to be a lap in front you should be fast enough to overtake the slowpoke in front of you

That discussion does come up from time to time.  The argument being that overtaking backmarkers has always been part of a racer's skillset.  The problem is on tracks like Monaco, Hungary and to a lesser extent Singapore.  If the backmarker does not want to let you pass - by which I mean he has deliberately decided to make your life difficult - then there is simply no way past.  I remember back in the day, Olivier Grouillard doing that very thing and intentionally being a mobile chicane.  So while there is always an argument for both sides, I think the way it's done at the moment is fairer.  Particularly in an era where it is acknowledged to be very difficult to follow closely in someone's dirty air.  Maybe they can re-visit the discussion once they sort out the aerodynamic problem.  But right now, no thank you.

• Like 1

Perez IG commment.

It was a very hard day in which I found myself in a very hard position from the start. As I went out of the first corner I saw Grosjean very close to me on my left and didn’t realize that Esteban was coming in on my right side and we ended up touching. Unfortunately it was my teammate but it could have been any other car. Then we payed off for the extraordinary qualifying we had yesterday and my strategy was compromised by having the softest compound. We stopped very early in the race and then we went out into a lot of traffic in a track where is very hard to overtake. In the incident with Sirotkin I closed the line a bit earlier and I got a well-deserved penalty. Definitely this was the worst day of the year. It’s time to move forward and I’m really looking forward to Russia. Thank you everyone for your support in the bad ones!

As for the race itself.  I think we're witnessing the best Hamilton we've ever seen.  He's almost unbeatable at the moment.  He never makes mistakes (well none of note anyway).  He is getting everything and more out of that car.  He is in imperious form.  He won that race at an absolute canter.  A race he wasn't favourite to win, never mind get pole position.  I think he's in Vettel's head now.  Vettel knows he has to beat the best version of Lewis he's ever been up against, and I think he's under even more pressure knowing he [Vettel] is in the faster car, so the expectation is almost on him to win, and he's cracking. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BOF said:

As for the race itself.  I think we're witnessing the best Hamilton we've ever seen.  He's almost unbeatable at the moment.  He never makes mistakes (well none of note anyway).  He is getting everything and more out of that car.  He is in imperious form.  He won that race at an absolute canter.  A race he wasn't favourite to win, never mind get pole position.  I think he's in Vettel's head now.  Vettel knows he has to beat the best version of Lewis he's ever been up against, and I think he's under even more pressure knowing he [Vettel] is in the faster car, so the expectation is almost on him to win, and he's cracking. 

Yeah I'd agree with all of this.

He's out of this world at the moment.

I hate the little word removed, but he's driving like a god.

And I hate Vettel more so bring it on.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I'd agree with all of this.

He's out of this world at the moment.

I hate the little word removed, but he's driving like a god.

And I hate Vettel more so bring it on.

And credit to Max for not trying the opportunistic move on Lewis when Grosjean was doing a Grosjean, admitting it 'wouldn't have been fair'.  Hope springs eternal :) 

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

And credit to Max for not trying the opportunistic move on Lewis when Grosjean was doing a Grosjean, admitting it 'wouldn't have been fair'.  Hope springs eternal :) 

Haha yeah there was another point as well where Max could have gone for a move (wasn't Hamilton but can't remember who, it was earlier in the race) and I thought "They're gonna crash here" but he didn't. 

Maybe he is learning?

(cue massive crash at the next race)

Double comeback at Toro Rosso?  With Daniil Kvyat's return for 2019 expected to be announced during the Russian GP next weekend, it's rumoured that Pascal Wehrlein may be joining him at STR.  Wehrlein has recently broken ties with Merc, meaning he's free to find his own path.

This in addition to the rumoured return of Giovinazzi at Sauber.

A conspicuous name at the top of the Formula 3 Championship this season, and look at his recent form.  He's pretty much guaranteed a slot in F2 next season, and then you can bet every F1 team will be knocking on his sponsor-friendly door.

d768430342a8d744ddbba430b15b0756.png

And on the above (from RaceFans.net) ...

Ticktum’s insinuations after F3 blow: ‘I’m fighting a losing battle as my name isn’t Schumacher’

| Written by Keith Collantine

Red Bull junior driver Dan Ticktum made insinuations about the “interesting” performance of two of his Formula Three rivals after losing the championship lead to Mick Schumacher with one round to go.

A sudden reversal in fortunes has seen Ticktum go from a 26-point lead over Schumacher in the championship 18 days ago to a 49-point deficit. There are 75 points still available in the season finale at the Hockenheimring.

The son of seven-times Formula 1 world champion Michael Schumacher has hit a strong run of form in the second half of the championship. Having taken just 64 points from the opening 12 races, he has more than doubled his scoring rate since, adding a further 265 points in the 15 races since.

One of Schumacher’s team mates in the five-strong Prema squad, Ferrari Driver Academy member Robert Shwarzman, has also performed much more strongly in the last two race weekends. The pair appear to be the subject of a social media post by Ticktum yesterday after Schumacher and Shwarzman finished in the top two places for the fifth time in the last six races.

“Not ideal is the best way I can describe the weekend here in Austria,” wrote Ticktum. “I don’t like pointing fingers at anyone but to be honest, this weekend the pace in the car was not there. Set-up mainly, as in the last race when we got the car better, we were pretty quick climbing from 7th to 4th.”

“However compared to the top two no one on this grid had a chance. Even their other team mates [Guan Yu Zhou, Ralf Aron and Marcus Armstrong] who are good drivers were nowhere compared to them. Interesting is how I would describe their pace and I am confident many people in the F3 paddock will agree.”

In a series of replies to his followers Ticktum denied he was making “insinuations” and did not indicate what he believes is behind the sudden upswing in form about the two Prema cars. “They may just have a special engine map or something,” he said in one reply. “I never said it was illegal.”

In a broad respond to the many comments his post received, Ticktum indicated the data he had seen from race weekends provoked his suspicions about his rivals’ performance.

“To all people who have left negative comments on here… this is the one and only response you will get from me, so enjoy it,” Ticktum wrote. “I’m not a sore loser. Neither am I salty. I have a huge respect for Mick who had dealt with a lot in the past few years.

Robert Shwarzman, Mick Schumacher, Red Bull Ring, European Formula Three, 2018
Shwarzman and Schumacher achieved six podiums in a row
“I am simply suggesting that it seems to have come from nowhere? I never said it was illegal. I appreciate I have lessons to learn still! I’m not denying that.

“You don’t know the real story because you are not at the track looking at everyone’s data. So I’m afraid I have to tell you that your opinion is invalid under these circumstances.

“I’ll say it only once more, unless you have something constructive to say, leave your useless, ill-thought comments off my page as they have no evidence to ratify the truth. If you want to talk to me [direct message] me as I can answer your questions if you may have some!

“Unfortunately however I am fighting a losing battle as my last name is not Schumacher.”

2 hours ago, BOF said:

As expected, Antonio Giovinazzi confirmed at Sauber for 2019 in Ericsson's place.

23 years between Stefan Johansson and Marcus Ericsson. It's tough getting in that business, even with backers.

34 minutes ago, Tegis said:

23 years between Stefan Johansson and Marcus Ericsson. It's tough getting in that business, even with backers.

It is, and at 28 years of age Ericsson has pretty much shown what he can and can't do.  Being soundly beaten by a 20 year old rookie certainly didn't help, but there is a seriously strong set of youngsters around at the moment so the landscape is even more treacherous than usual.

No sign of another Irishman following Tim O'Glock into F1 yet either.

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Mercedes move? Personally I think it was the right move, they have to ensure they get the championship 

Seemed like standard team orders. Everyone hates team orders but it's always going to happen, especially at this stage of the season.