Buy, Sell, Replace

NurembergVillan

I've not really had much chance to get any gaming in lately, although I miss it.  I'm thinking of trading in or selling the consoles I have, and either getting a new one or just spending the cash on something else.

I've got an old Xbox 360 and a few games, which I know isn't worth anything really.  I've also got an Xbox One Day One Edition with a couple of controllers and some, admittedly old, games.

Soooo - where would be the best place to go if I was trading in?  CeX?  Game?  Would I be better trying to sell on Shpock or Ebay?

And if I was looking to get something new, do I stick with Xbox or switch to PS4?  I've got a 4k TV so would like to get the most out of that, and maybe use the console for Blu-Ray too.

I'm totally behind the curve on all of this these days - as evidenced by having an old console.  I tried to use it before Christmas and it just seemed really slow and unresponsive, even scrolling through menus.

HELP!

Ebay is probably your best bet. I like to put things up on there, wait for someone (preferably local) to offer to buy it privately, cancel the auction and save on the fees, and sort it out in person providing they have good feedback. 

I used "musicmagpie" to "sell" my xbox 360 and games.

Ended up getting about £25 for it. They claimed it was broken (it wasn't) and some of the games weren't in the condition I said they were (they were all functioning and in original boxes).

I couldn't be arsed to argue as I really just wanted rid of it. But yeah, avoid them.

eBay are pants now, if things go wrong the buyer always wins. Fees are getting ridiculous between eBay and Paypal plus to sell anything on eBay you pretty much need to do free postage so that’s another hit to your profit once you go to the post office to send it. A 360 plus games say goes for £60, you’ll get to keep about £40 max. With consoles, games and whatnot i’d just go the cex route. There’s no decent prices anywhere tbh anymore. 

Maybe Facebook groups are the way forward?!

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

Ah, yeah I've had so much bad stuff about Music Magpie.

I might have a pop at the Ebay marketplace.  Had a couple of bargains off there myself.

With CeX I can trade in for vouchers and put it towards something else.  Only question then is - One X, PS4 Pro or Switch (I've no idea at all about this one though).

The Switch works best as a companion to one of the others imo. It has a library of good Nintendo titles (2 of which are exceptional) and lots of good indie titles. It has become a bit of a refuge for the best indie titles of the last few years.

As for the other consoles... Pure raw power is the One X. Whether your average person is going to see the difference with that power over the PS4 Pro is very much YMMV. It also has a UHD Blu-ray player.

The PS4 Pro has the benefit of a large install base, and very good back catalogue of exclusives that Microsoft simply can't compete with.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The Switch works best as a companion to one of the others imo. It has a library of good Nintendo titles (2 of which are exceptional) and lots of good indie titles. It has become a bit of a refuge for the best indie titles of the last few years.

As for the other consoles... Pure raw power is the One X. Whether your average person is going to see the difference with that power over the PS4 Pro is very much YMMV. It also has a UHD Blu-ray player.

The PS4 Pro has the benefit of a large install base, and very good back catalogue of exclusives that Microsoft simply can't compete with.

The UHD Blu-ray might swing it in favour of the Xbone.  I want one of those anyway, so I'm effectively getting two bits of kit for one.

25 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

The Xbone is probably quieter too. My PS4 is stupidly loud when playing from disc

Really?

I'd say mine is pretty much silent from where I sit (about 6-8 feet away)

I certainly can't hear it over the TV.

• Like 1

Gumtree is good for selling anything these days, I have sold loads of stuff over the last few months and nearly always receive messages (text or email) back in the first 24 hours of posting. I sold a subwoofer at one point, 10 minutes after posting I received a text, half an hour later it had been picked up and I had the money in my hand... madness. Doesn't cost a penny either.

As for console Xbox One X all the way, its ridiculously good! Although I am tempted by the switch.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Are my Wii and PS3 worth anything?

You might be able to scam someone out of a bit more cash than at an official source like CEX, but they aren't worth much anymore.

Those systems were 7 years old when Xbox One and PS4 launched, they are now pushing 11 - 12 years old and as such they are pretty worthless in today's market.

PS. Just checked CEX as more of a baseline. If you opted for cash CEX would give £30 for the PS3 and £11 for the Wii. So selling both of them there you'd get enough to buy yourself a new game. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2018 at 22:16, wilko154 said:

Gumtree is good for selling anything these days, I have sold loads of stuff over the last few months and nearly always receive messages (text or email) back in the first 24 hours of posting. I sold a subwoofer at one point, 10 minutes after posting I received a text, half an hour later it had been picked up and I had the money in my hand... madness. Doesn't cost a penny either.

As for console Xbox One X all the way, its ridiculously good! Although I am tempted by the switch.

I know someone who had a bad expereince they arranged a  meet up and everything was ok until, another car pulled up with knvies and was mugged.

If you do this do it in a busy car park (preferably one with cameras)  i would get a switch for sure! 

12 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Are my Wii and PS3 worth anything?

Nope peanuts mate. You be lucky if you got £30-£40 for the pair

I kept my PS3 as it plays dvds and blur rays and dont own a ps4 or xbox. in fact i dont think i have evr owned a xbox barring my moddied one

On 2/21/2018 at 16:39, omariqy said:

I am actually thinking of downgrading and buying an N64 to relive my youth. No idea where to start though. Wish I hadn't sold mine.

I still have mine, I would never sell it. one of the greatest consoles ever made 

• 3 weeks later...

I always use CEX, its free postage on all sales, and if you use the voucher offer rather than cash they give you a generous amount on top. Its good if you got your eye on something to buy, the vouchers last for a 100 years too so you are in no rush to buy anything. I sold them loads of old tech lying around from old cameras to a couple of desktops and a laptop, also hundreds of PC games from the 90s, got myself £250 voucher so bought myself an all in one desktop with it, I know its 2nd hand, but the 2 year guarantee on it gives you peace of mind. 

I was actually thinking about getting an XBOX 360 just so I could play some of the exclusive titles that I missed out on as I had a PS3, should be dirt cheap to buy now.

Edited by Junxs

13 hours ago, Junxs said:

I always use CEX, its free postage on all sales, and if you use the voucher offer rather than cash they give you a generous amount on top. Its good if you got your eye on something to buy, the vouchers last for a 100 years too so you are in no rush to buy anything. I sold them loads of old tech lying around from old cameras to a couple of desktops and a laptop, also hundreds of PC games from the 90s, got myself £250 voucher so bought myself an all in one desktop with it, I know its 2nd hand, but the 2 year guarantee on it gives you peace of mind. 

I was actually thinking about getting an XBOX 360 just so I could play some of the exclusive titles that I missed out on as I had a PS3, should be dirt cheap to buy now.

This

cex for me is far better than game fir a bargain

Â