Pre match thread

roonst83

8 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

According to some fella on Facebook who attended the U23 match last night, neither Callum O'Hare nor Russian Hepburn Murphy were involved.

So wish his name was spelt like that.

I cant think of a cooler name. Sounds like an Irish gangster with Russian connections.

• Like 1

So Grabban is a maybe now, and Tuanzebe is likely out alongside Grealish, Davis, and Adomah. Assuming all of them are out, I'd go:

159a92c885ad2fe44e72b9e3c51883b9.png

I'd like to see Onomah back in the CM spot where he started the season. This also leaves us with RHM, Lansbury, Jedinak, Whelan, Bree, Taylor, Steer on the bench which isn't too great. 

• Sad 1

Assuming that everyone who’s injured is not going to be back tomorrow, we could go:

Johnstone

Elmo     Terry    Chester    Hutton

Jedinak

Snodgrass   Hourihane   Lansbury

RHM            Hogan

... a bit experimental but could work.

If Grabban can't make it that will be a big blow. I still think we will nick a win oop north. Come on the Villa boys!

I would go Whelan-Hourihane in the middle as Jedinak look knackered on Tuesday and Connor plays much better with Glenda next to him. Possibly even go 4-4-2 if Davis is fit.

Edited by The Fun Factory

If Grealish, Adomah, Davis, Grabban, Tuanzebe, Green and Kodija are all out, I'd be tempted to play

Johnstone

Elmo---------Chester---Terry---------Hutton

Jedinak

Doyle Hayes---------------O'Hare

Snodgrass

Hogan----------------RHM

And have some of Lansbury, Hourihane, Onomah, Whelan and Taylor on the bench (but that is of course very midfield heavy.)

I was close to putting Bjarnasson in instead of Jedinak for his mobility but I'd have him on the bench instead for his utility benefits. I think it would be better to have Jedinak. He reads the game better and has the strength and aerial ability to protect the back four. Those abilities would also help support the two youngsters in front of him who would bring a lot of energy themselves.

I know Doyle-Hayes played for the U23s the other day but he played well (??? he's the captain I think ???) and I'd like to see him get some first team minutes. I really like him and think the first 11 could do with his energy and determination.

There may be some issues coping with physicality and there may be a bit of naivety in the middle with their inclusion, but, I'd hope their enthusiasm and perseverance would help close Wednesday down.

I understand the discussion of easing players in but this for a short time whilst coping with injuries. Plus, and I know there are negatives in the sense players can become disillusioned, but I am of the philosophy of 'the more you experience, the quicker you learn.'   

On the subject of energy and desire, it would be interesting to drop those otherwise regular names to the bench to see if it's a well-needed rest or kick up the bottom to discover if they possess the desire to fight for their place in training or cram their 90 minutes into a substitute opinion. (They'd also be there if the gamble didn't pay off but that's not gonna happen)

I suppose that starting line-up would have an unknown quantity and that could work for us.

I think Snodgrass is close to needing a rest as he's been through the wars recently, but, with the injuries, I'd keep him involved with a bit of freedom behind the forwards with plenty of options available to him in that central role. A similar thing could happen in the DM role, sitting in front of the back line but have 6 or 7 immediate passing options if people show for him. (Which I think those particular players around him would)

RHM, Doyle-Hayes and O'Hare have pace too which would be a nice injection into the team.

Whatever the line-up, I hope we display bravery and intent to make Wednesday worry about us as an attacking force.

I shall say 2-0 Villa :flag:

Image result for i just want to win gif

Edited by 8pints
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Kingman said:

Green out, Tuenzebe out 
Grealish out, Adomah out 
Grabbon struggling 
Davies twisted ankle struggling.

I guess it technically does rhyme, but a little tip: the very best poets achieve this effect while ending each line with different words!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I guess it technically does rhyme, but a little tip: the very best poets achieve this effect while ending each line with different words!

I'm a poet and you know it :D

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KHV said:

I think the wheels are coming off

2-0 Sheff Wed

This is my worry too, it worries me how bang average we look without Grealish, Kodjia and Adomah.

I fear a loss today is imminent boys and girls.