Pre match thread

roonst83

A lot rests on whether we have Grealish and Adomah back. He latter is certainly unlikely to return this soon but it’s all a tad quiet about Jack. Either way we’re just proven to be a much better team with both of those starting. 

We cant afford to be defensive in our set up if we have aspirations of automatic promotion. Wednesday will be tough but we need to press the opposition and play with intensity. If there’s no Grealish then Hogan, for all his running, becomes redundant, sadly. Hourihane will be lucky to start as he’s been invisible for a while now. I’d be tempted to start Grabben and perhaps Davis but worry that shout Jack we appear disjointed have no shape or game plan and zero creativity to cause teams problems. 

We need to pick ourselves up for Wednesday away.

There is no doubt we need to make changes. Hogan looks like the Hogan we first signed again,  Davis for me adds very little either. Onomah to his credit was better second half. 

I think Hutton and Bjarnason should never play on the same side again either they were terrible trying to work together 

If you think we have injury problems....

From a few weeks ago but still very relevant if you look at the team they put out at Millwall:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-boss-luhukay-gives-update-on-lengthy-injury-list-1-8966720

Jos Luhukay has revealed none of Sheffield Wednesday’s injured stars will return for Saturday’s visit of Cardiff City. The owls are missing 10 first-team regulars with long-term injuries, including strikers Gary Hooper, Steven Fletcher and Fernando Forestieri, defenders Tom Lees and Joost van Aken, plus midfielders Sam Hutchinson, Kieran Lee and Barry Bannan. Midfielder Almen Abdi faces a fortnight on the sidelines after picking up a muscle injury in training, while goalkeeper Keiren Westwood has been ordered to rest for “two or three weeks”. New Owls manager Luhukay inherited a squad full of crocked players, and says the club’s overworked medical team are putting in up to 12-hour shifts to treat the injured players.

0-0 it is.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

If you think we have injury problems....

From a few weeks ago but still very relevant if you look at the team they put out at Millwall:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-boss-luhukay-gives-update-on-lengthy-injury-list-1-8966720

0-0 it is.

They also rested their strikers because of knocks last night. Joao is the danger man for me. Unpredictable player. 

Just now, omariqy said:

They also rested their strikers because of knocks last night. Joao is the danger man for me. Unpredictable player. 

Which strikers? Fletcher and Hooper are first choice for them, Rhodes is ill. Joao and Nuhiu were 4th/5th choice at start of the season and neither score much.

We should be keeping a clean sheet in this one, problem will be at the other end.

I would start with this,

Johnstone

Elmo  Chester  Terry  Hutton

Tuanzebe

Bjarnason

Snodgrass   Lansbury   O'Hare/Green

Grabban

A solid 5 defensive wise whilst still allowing Elmo & Hutton to bomb forward and provide counter assitance to Snoddy and O'Hare/Green outwide, while being tight through the middle.

Tuanzebe in a natural position that should allow him to boss the game from there and we take a controlled approach to the game blocking out any attacking threat with Bjarnason whilst equally having the ability to create something ourselves moving forward.

Given Grabban a start will also provide us with a bit of a fresh imputus upfront and a different approach attacking wise.

We go again..

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

Johnstone

Elmo    Chester    Terry    Hutton

Bjarnasson

Snodgrass O'Hare  Lansbury/Hourihane  Grabban

Hogan

How O'Hare is not getting a game is beyond me, if Grealish isn't fit he needs to be playing instead of him

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Which strikers? Fletcher and Hooper are first choice for them, Rhodes is ill. Joao and Nuhiu were 4th/5th choice at start of the season and neither score much.

We should be keeping a clean sheet in this one, problem will be at the other end.

They have both scored pretty much 1 a game in their last few games tbf.

I would go for

---------------------------johnstone----------------------

tuanzebe------terry--------chester-------hutton

snodgrass-----lansbury-------bjarnason----onomah

-----------------grabban------------------hogan--------------------

subs

Bunn

taylor

elmo

jedinak

hourihane

davis

RHM (dont expect grealish or adomah to be fit)

I'm for changing it up, but we shouldn't be almost fielding a whole new front 5-6. We lost Grealish and Adomah who were integral in our unbeaten streak, so we have to figure out how to replace them to get the players around them going again.

I think this could do it. O'hare needs to be given a chance. Grabban proved he is more than a target man and can hopefully play similar to Adomah. Elmo needs to come back to right back because Snodgrass was lost without him. Jedinak had a poor match on Tuesday, and we are away from home, so I'd give Tuanzebe a chance there over Birkir. 

38d1580b83559f010860873f961f1269.png

Its a good job the 7 wins baught us that bit of credit to afford to try things in the last 2 games because without those wins we'd have no chance of automatic. Just got to hope Bruce and the management team can see where the tweaks are needed and can remedy the last 2 performances. They were 2 tricky games even if we were at full strength, but these next few are vitally important. All must win; This is it; Sink or swim.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I'm for changing it up, but we shouldn't be almost fielding a whole new front 5-6. We lost Grealish and Adomah who were integral in our unbeaten streak, so we have to figure out how to replace them to get the players around them going again.

I think this could do it. O'hare needs to be given a chance. Grabban proved he is more than a target man and can hopefully play similar to Adomah. Elmo needs to come back to right back because Snodgrass was lost without him. Jedinak had a poor match on Tuesday, and we are away from home, so I'd give Tuanzebe a chance there over Birkir. 

38d1580b83559f010860873f961f1269.png

This is what I want with Tuanzebe position whoever is fittest between him, Jedi and Bjarnasson.

I'd go:

--------------------------Johnstone--------------------

Tuanzebe-----Chester----Terry--------Hutton

-------------------------Bjarnason----------------------

-----Hourihane----Lansbury---Onomah------

--------------Grabban---------Davis-----------------

It's not our strongest line up admittedly.

------------------Johnstone----------------

Elmo, Chester, Terry, Hutton

-------------------Jedinak---------

Snodgass, Hourihane, Onomah, Grabban

----------------------Davis------------------

Subs: Bunn, Tunzebe, Taylor, Bjarnason, Landsbury, o'Hare and Gabby. 

Ask Hogan to come back when Grealish is back.