Current team vs Relegation team

Michael118

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

You do understand the 'level' of Danish football right?

I can't claim to be an expert and for the sake of transparency I will admit to not having ever watched a Danish league match but I'll take a wild stab at it and suggest that it's somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd tiers of English football. Blackburn for example, would probably do very well and be challenging for the title were they to be parachuted into it - this has to form the basis of the opinion. We're not talking about an unknown kid here who's just broken into the first team, we're talking an established player with PL experience so if he had anything about him he would be playing at a higher level.

I don't even understand the relevance of any of what you've posted above.

I also don't know what a stopperpar is, assume it's when your mate thinks it's funny to block your golf ball from going into the hole on the only occasion that you hit GiR.

I agree with you, which is possibly more scary than the thread itself. 

• Haha 1

A very good article (for the most part) on Clark and Okore's partership written by a Villa fan.

VILLA CENTRE-BACKED THEIR WAY INTO RELEGATION WITH THEIR BIGGEST MISTAKE

After thinking to myself, "Have Jores Okore and Ciaran Clark even played together this season?" I'm mad at Villa

By Alexander Carson

April 15, 2016

You know what was neat about the 2014-15 season for Aston Villa?

Aside from Christian Benteke still being Christian Benteke at the end of last season, the brightest spot from that campaign came in defence, where Jores Okore and Ciaran Clark started to develop what looked like it could move into a great partnership at centre back.

In 17 matches the duo started together, they surrendered just 22 goals — five of which came in one swoop against Arsenal. That worked out to an average of 1.29 conceded per game, and 1.06 when you remove that outlier against the Gunners. Hell, when the duo started, Villa conceded more than one goal just four times — a defensive record that was better than any centre back pairing in B6 in quite some time. They only kept three clean sheets, but by and large, Clark and Okore weren’t making a living out of throwing games away for the Claret and Blues, and it would’ve been interesting to see how the season ended with the then-injured Clark in the XI alongside Okore.

With Benteke, Fabian Delph and Tom Cleverly leaving, a lot the things that worked well for Villa walked out the door, desperately needing replaced. But both Okore and Clark were back this term, and while Okore missed the start of the season through injury, it shouldn’t have necessitated buying a season-long replacement.

But that’s where Tim Sherwood and Villa went wrong. Rather than bringing in a free transfer and an experienced player to help in the final third, the Claret and Blues decided an overhaul of the centre back position was needed, importing a fullback, Micah Richards and a guy West Bromwich Albion didn't want any more, Joleon Lescott, to lead the defense.

Is it any wonder Villa have conceded 66 goals in 34 matches — an average of 1.94 per game — after such a ridiculous move?

Richards and Lescott from pretty early on have proven detrimental to the club’s success this season, and even when one of them has been paired with Clark or Okore, things haven’t particularly gone that great.

But before discounting Clark or Okore for subpar seasons, consider how many times Villa have given up goals through miscommunication — I’ve seen enough goals scored by guys going unmarked or poorly marked — and how important it is for centre backs to have good chemistry between the two of them.

And you’d have thought someone would’ve been smart enough to, I don’t know, at least give the two a chance to play together in the Premier League once this season, right?

Nah. The only two times the duo have seen the pitch together where when Clark made 90th-minute substitutions in wins over Crystal Palace and Norwich City. Aside from that? They haven’t played together.

So riddle me this: You have something good, productive and strong going for you, and in a summer where so many things actually needed to be replaced, you wasted your time and wage money on a couple players at the only position you were actually strong.

Consider actually, you know, signing a real right back, so we wouldn’t have had to witness the aberration that is a platoon of Alan Hutton and Leandro Bacuna. Or remember how Emmanuel Adebayor wouldn’t come to Villa? Maybe the cash spend unnecessarily on Lescott could’ve been funneled there?*

* Disclaimer: I don’t actually think Adebayor would have kept Villa up, but I’ll be damned if I didn’t wish now we’d have gotten the chance to see that.

And regardless of the actual players coming in, you get the point. Villa lost a lot last season from a squad that, quite frankly, wasn’t that good.

But they opted to channel resources and energy into trying to fix the one thing that wasn’t broken.

And at the end of the day, I fear they‘ve ruined the chances of Clark and Okore working together as a solid partnership at Villa Park once more. Okore could move on at the end of the season, and even if he does, there’s the distinct possibility that one or both of them have been broken by this trainwreck of a season.

If Villa were smart, they’d go into next year willing to let these two re-develop that strong chemistry and defensive prowess that helped Villa, you know, actually look competent in defence. Get rid of Lescott and Richards however you must, and don’t worry too much about bringing in a new starter to compete at centre back. Let Okore and Clark run the show, bring Nathan Baker back as the first choice off the bench and maybe bolster things with a depth signing who can push — but not usurp — Okore and Clark.

But Villa aren’t smart. So they’ll probably blow whatever money the club has this summer on more dumb things — like hindering the development of the defensive future of this club.

To never — not once — start that duo in the Premier League this season is nothing short of gross incompetence from both Tim Sherwood, who "upgraded" a position that didn’t need it, and Rémi Garde, who sat on a fit Clark and fit Okore for the majority of his time, only playing them together for more than a couple minutes at Wycombe Wanderers.

When you’re this dumb, you deserve everything that’s coming to you, Villa.

https://7500toholte.sbnation.com/2016/4/15/11434472/aston-villa-jores-okore-ciaran-clark-partnership-tim-sherwood-remi-garde

Edited by Michael118

A fan hypothesising that a change in personnel in one of the worst performing Premier League sides ever might have proved to be not quite as **** abysmal is not evidence that they would have been a good partnership to build the side around to stay up, or win the championship - or that they would be in any way a patch on Chester/Terry.

It’s absolutely irrelevant.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, a m ole said:

A fan hypothesising that a change in personnell in one of the worst performing Premier League sides ever might have proved to be not quite as **** abysmal is not evidence that they would have been a good partnership to build the side around to stay up, or win the championship - or that they would be in any way a patch on Chester/Terry.

It’s absolutely irrelevant.

No, it's an article apparently..............................

Bacuna 4 The usual error strewn performance and pen was saved

Bacuna's penalty was oxf*rd garbage, when I saw him do that slow, lazy run up it felt like he was going to miss

Bacuna has sand wedges for feet.

Bacuna for one seems to take a lot of poor quality long shots.

Some of the other players efforts (Bacuna and Richards spring to mind) were hit with far less conviction or control.

but Bacuna flatters to deceive in midfield. I think some are realizing why he's been played at FB a bit.

Bacuna blew hot and cold.

Bacuna once again made some really silly mistakes.

Ilori and Bacuna having nightmares and Reading have finally been sussed by Derby

Bacuna had a great chance to make it 2-0.....but his decision to shoot rather than square it to Martin did cost us in the end.

Bacuna erratic as always and Joey was Joey.

What the **** is Bacuna doing? He doesn't even go for 75-25 challenges and his tracking back is abysmal.

Desperate last ditch stuff. We look so slow. Bacuna shocking. When we had a throw in there was no movement at all. Bacuna just standing there pointing.

Forest hit the bar - Bacuna at fault.

http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=Bacuna&start=20

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"but Bacuna flatters to deceive in midfield. I think some are realizing why he's been played at FB a bit."

The story of his Villa career.

Absolute garbage in midfield. Eventually gets used as a utility player at fullback and does ok. So gets another chance at midfield.

Absolute garbage.

Rinse and repeat.

• Like 2

Talk about being selective. Nearly all their players were given negative reviews in their last game and Bacuna's free kick actually lead to their only goal.

Just for some balance...

"I actually thought it was a good pen, right in the corner, keeper made a very good save".

"Since that play-off final we have strengthened the side with Barrow, Bacuna, Edwards, Aluko (Yeah - I know some will disagree) and, recently, Martin and Elphick. There is no way we should be in any danger of relegation".

"Issues are with Stam not BT imo. I think he got some handy players for reasonable amounts - ie Barrow, Vito and Bacuna. Stam has misused them basically".

"Gourlay stated that of the seven players that were brought to the club in the summer five of those have been our best players. Tim could have asked him to name the five as I am struggling somewhat". Reply: "Bacuna and Barrow yes, but that says nothing if the whole team is playing like a pile of crap".

"Bacuna and Barrow were very good signings".

"It has been painfully clear to everyone that we needed two proven strikers but we got none. Instead we spent millions on ******** we didn't need (except for Mannone and Bacuna)".

"Aluko is not proving to be value for money and the jury is out on Ilori but Moore, Bacuna, Barrow and Mannone have proven to be decent value, not to mention Swift. Van den Berg has done a decent enough job for a freebie and the rest have been cheap punts".

"Surprised by the criticism of Bacuna by some. Against Birmingham he looked like the player who cared the most and really gave it a go".

"Bacuna - 7 Was all over the park, and once we took the lead and went to 3 CB's, was a solid LWB. The man seems to be the ultimate utility player".

"Bacuna - 7 OK defensively, got involved in a number of attacks. That pass for the second goal was wonderful".

"That touch from Bacuna for the 1st goal, lovely stuff".

"Encouraged by the great through ball from Bacuna and Edwards run though. That's exactly how we haven't been playing".

"Bacuna has been our best right back this season".

"Bacuna wasted at FB".

"Push Bacuna forward. He's fast and creative".

"Not really fair to keep shoving Bacuna all over the place tbh".

"I personally prefer to watch technically gifted players - I think Bacuna is an absolute joy to watch and I think one of Stam's worst decisions at Reading so far has been to play him right back. Think it was a cup game against Millwall where Bacuna practically drove the whole team from the middle playing really well like Williams would do but better, then shifted to right back???  Reply: "Now I can agree with you on Bacuna. I went to Derby away where Bacuna played in front of the back four and totally ran the game. It's hard to believe now but Reading were superb in that game, quick passing, one touch, running into space, closing down Derby etc etc."

"Think Bacuna could fill Williams' role quite well but our tactical genius of a manager continually sticks him in as a full/wing back :rolleyes:".

"Bacuna must start, and preferably in central midfield".

"I've said it before but anyone who went to Derby away must be mystified by a number of things.... Why hasn't Bacuna played in front of defense again? He dominated the game and we played sublime football (really) with first time passes played to our team and people running into space and going for and getting return passes".

"Where has Bacuna got to this time? About the third time he has disappeared unexpectedly". Reply: "Bacuna probably had a good game last time so Stam shoved him in the reserves... He wants none of that malarkey. Playing well is not allowed".

"Can't be arsed to read all that about Gunter but say he's been in our top 3 players this season with Barrow and Moore. Prob only 3 who can hold their heads up really". Reply: "I would add Bacuna to those three, especially when played in midfied". Reply: "yeah agree on Bacuna. Forgot him, but he has been hampered by these weird one week injuries he keeps getting".

"I think Bacuna could be as effecive as Williams but keeps getting injured".

"So missing Bacuna's drive today".

"Bacuna was arguably our best summer signing and, yet again, was having a decent game..."

"What I think we need more than anything is a controlling midfield player. Doesn't need to be quick, dynamic or even young but someone who is an obvious go to player, comfortable on the ball and indeed will demand the ball and stop going ****** backwards all the time, someone like Caskey springs to mind. Better goalies, wingers or strikers are irrelevant if the ball spends most of the times passing around the back". Reply: "Bacuna".

"You want to give your club access to your money and your shopping habits in return for prize draw entries?" Reply: "Yes, I want Leandro Bacuna's signed shirt".

http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/search.php?keywords=bacuna&fid[0]=1

Edited by Michael118

1 hour ago, Michael118 said:

Fwiw, I could have 'selected' posts from October & November, which were Bacuna's best months and would have painted an even more favourable picture for him, but I limited it to posts no older than January 2018.

It's actually admirable now, my new favourite poster :)

Â