Current team vs Relegation team

Michael118

3 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

How is it a 'litany of excuses'? Whichever way you look at it, those 6 players played a combined total of 6217 mins, which on average is 11.5 games each. Take 6 of the best 11 out of any team for 70% of a season and see where they end up.

It's excuses because you can't just say that if we'd played these players for the rest of the season, then we'd have been okay. If 'not being in the team' is all that matters, then why can't I make the same case for Tiago Illori, Jed Steer, Jorge Crespo, Gabby Agbonlahor or any of our other fringe players from that season? And Bacuna played more than half the season, as your own stats show. 

At the end of the day, we don't watch training. The people who did, thought they weren't good enough. We can disagree with those assessments if we want, and we can criticise those doing the watching, but in the end we didn't just leave out six brilliant players for no good reason, and their careers subsequent to leaving this club by and large vindicate the decisions of those managers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Michael, a few of those players are OK (generally the ones that are are not suited to English football like Amavi and Gil), Gueye is a good player. Even Ciaran Clark is one of the better ones and he wouldn't get in our team at the moment ahead of Terry or Chester

But most of these names, my god that team A would be where Sunderland are now, I can never tell if you're on the wind up or not so I'm going to dip out of this thread now but please don't become a scout, if you must become one, may I suggest Birmingham City as a potential job 

• Like 1

how about Team C

Ghent

Ghrayib Unsworth Drobny Stas

Salifou Curcic Ferraresi

Boulding De Bilde Balaban

Manager: Tim Sherwood

Sub: Luc Nillis (post-leg break)

Just imagine if these guys had been given the game time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't understand the point of this thread, other than to say you perhaps think, under better guidance, the team that was relegated could have performed better under different guidance.

I put it to you that under better backing, Paul Lambert might've done a better job than Sherwood, or Garde. That's irrelevant now though isn't it.

For what it's worth, I don't agree with your judgement on the comparison of players.

I think, from Team A, Gueye, Gil, Amavi and perhaps Traore (I might put him ahead of Adomah, but not Snodgrass) could be better options than those in Team B.

32 minutes ago, a m ole said:

how about Team C

Ghent

Ghrayib Unsworth Drobny Stas

Salifou Curcic Ferraresi

Boulding De Bilde Balaban

Manager: Tim Sherwood

Sub: Luc Nillis (post-leg break)

Just imagine if these guys had been given the game time.

Who were Drobny and Stas?

Just now, turvontour said:

Who were Drobny and Stas?

Ivo Stas - I don't think he ever played. Played against Villa for Banik Ostrava is 1990 UEFA Cup (scored an own goal) then Venglos purchased him. Got injured and never played

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

Ivo Stas - I don't think he ever played. Played against Villa for Banik Ostrava is 1990 UEFA Cup (scored an own goal) then Venglos purchased him. Got injured and never played

And Vaclav Drobny - signed under David O’Leary. No opposition player ever scored against him at Villa. Quite the record.

41 minutes ago, a m ole said:

And Vaclav Drobny - signed under David O’Leary. No opposition player ever scored against him at Villa. Quite the record.

I think Team C are the better side, to be honest.

As you say, Drobny - 100% clean sheet record.

Ivo Stas - scored over a goal per game for us from CB.

Luc Nilis - scored 1 in 3, and he was decapitated early on in the third match.

• Like 1

Since OP likes stats.

Team A's 3 attacking players have 6 premier league goals between them in their whole careers. 

The whole team A have about 20 premier league goals between them. 

John Terry has twice as many premier league goals as all players from team A.

Edited by BG_Villa_Fan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's excuses because you can't just say that if we'd played these players for the rest of the season, then we'd have been okay. If 'not being in the team' is all that matters, then why can't I make the same case for Tiago Illori, Jed Steer, Jorge Crespo, Gabby Agbonlahor or any of our other fringe players from that season? And Bacuna played more than half the season, as your own stats show. 

At the end of the day, we don't watch training. The people who did, thought they weren't good enough. We can disagree with those assessments if we want, and we can criticise those doing the watching, but in the end we didn't just leave out six brilliant players for no good reason, and their careers subsequent to leaving this club by and large vindicate the decisions of those managers. 

Have Illori, Steer, Crespo or Gabby been named man of the match for Middlesbrough in 4 of their last 7 appearances? Did any of them debut for Barcelona as a 17 year old or were they wanted by Chelsea for £20m last season? Do any of them have a scoring record of 0.48 goals per game in the Premier League, Serie A & Europa League combined? Have any of them just been named French internationals? Did any of them finish 3rd in the Premier League for average assists per game in 2014/15? Did any of them turn down Chelsea to sign for us in 2013?  Were any of them leading La Liga for average assists per game half way through last season?

5 hours ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Since OP likes stats.

Team A's 3 attacking players have 6 premier league goals between them in their whole careers. 

The whole team A have about 20 premier league goals between them. 

John Terry has twice as many premier league goals as all players from team A.

Actually, 'team A' has 30 goals between them and if you exclude Terry, 'team B' has 21 goals.

Kozak's Premier League scoring record is 0.34 goals per game, which is more than double that of any player from 'team B'.

3 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Actually, 'team A' has 30 goals between them and if you exclude Terry, 'team B' has 21 goals.

Kozak's Premier League scoring record is 0.34 goals per game, which is more than double that of any player from 'team B'.

I exaggerated on purpose, of course, because I knew you'd jump at it - it only shows how pitiful both teams A and B are, and why neither has a chance to survive in the premier league. 

You've really showed me up with team A's massive 30 goals tally and excluding Terry though :D

20 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Have Illori, Steer, Crespo or Gabby been named man of the match for Middlesbrough in 4 of their last 7 appearances? Did any of them debut for Barcelona as a 17 year old or were they wanted by Chelsea for £20m last season? Do any of them have a scoring record of 0.48 goals per game in the Premier League, Serie A & Europa League combined? Have any of them just been named French internationals? Did any of them finish 3rd in the Premier League for average assists per game in 2014/15? Did any of them turn down Chelsea to sign for us in 2013?  Were any of them leading La Liga for average assists per game half way through last season?

And again, 'a litany of excuses'. What do those cherry-picked facts and statistics have to do with anything? 

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

And again, 'a litany of excuses'. What do those cherry-picked facts and statistics have to do with anything? 

Can you 'cherry pick' similar facts and statistics for Illori, Steer, Crespo and an overweight Gabby?

Â