Pre Match Chitty Chatty Bang Bang

TheAuthority

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But name me a team in this league that don't rely on their three best players (including Kodjia)

Anyone bar maybe Wolves would need to adapt if they were missing their three best players.

I agree but if Wolves can do it and the likes of Cardiff then so should we. Other teams are not in our league in terms of how much we have spent on this squad. I am not trying to sound too negative considering the run we have been on but I just think that if you have an identity it can definitely help at times like this. 

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

I agree but if Wolves can do it and the likes of Cardiff then so should we. Other teams are not in our league in terms of how much we have spent on this squad. I am not trying to sound too negative considering the run we have been on but I just think that if you have an identity it can definitely help at times like this. 

Do Cardiff do it? I don't watch them enough to say whether their style is the same with major players missing.

Just seems a really weird complaint.
You seem to acknowledge that we do play a consistent style with our best players fit. But you're complaining that when our best players are injured we play differently.

I just don't see that as a negative. I see that as how most football teams operate. 

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Do Cardiff do it? I don't watch them enough to say whether their style is the same with major players missing.

Just seems a really weird complaint.
You seem to acknowledge that we do play a consistent style with our best players fit. But you're complaining that when our best players are injured we play differently.

I just don't see that as a negative. I see that as how most football teams operate. 

Yes they did and Wolves do.

I don't think we play a consistent style when our best players are fit. We played a different style against Bristol City then we did against Sheff Utd then we did against Barnsley then we did against Boro etc. My complaint is that there is no consistency. Even Alex Neil has come out and said as much about our style of play today. I am not trying to complain too much but just saying that if you build a team that doesn't' have an identity and relies heavily on individual performances when those individuals don't play well or are injured then you will suffer. Whereas if you do have a way of playing (any style really) then you can still get good results. 

• Like 1

I would go with:

---------------------Johnstone----------------

--Tuanzebe---Chester--Terry--Huton--

-----------------------Jedinak-------------------

--Snodgrass--Lansbury--Hourihane--Grabban--

-----------------------Hogan---------------------

I think we will go with that, except with Onomah instead of Angela. I hope Bjarnason doesn't play, because he's crap on the left and this is the sort of game - against a dirty, physical team - that Jedinak excels at. 

16 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I would go with:

I think we will go with that, except with Onomah instead of Angela. I hope Bjarnason doesn't play, because he's crap on the left and this is the sort of game - against a dirty, physical team - that Jedinak excels at. 

Thor for Jedinak 

2 hours ago, omariqy said:

I understand what you mean, I think it is just that we have had more key players out injured at once, or for longer periods of time than both Cardiff and Wolves. They have barely had any injuries this season whilst we have been very unlucky.

An injury to Grealish, Adomah, Kodjia or Snodgrass kills us everytime as they are the only players in our side capable of picking the ball up and carrying it forward. This is where we struggled against Fulham, and (unless Grealish is back) where we will struggle tonight.

38 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I would go with:

22 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Thor for Jedinak 

Agreed, we need legs in the midfield tonight if Grealish isn't available and Bjarnasson will offer that more than Jedinak can. Apart from that the team looks fairly solid, although I imagine Lansbury will be on the bench with Onomah starting.

I hope we see Grabban down the left as Bjarnasson and Onomah are not wingers, and Snodgrass is more effective down the right.

23 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I understand what you mean, I think it is just that we have had more key players out injured at once, or for longer periods of time than both Cardiff and Wolves. They have barely had any injuries this season whilst we have been very unlucky.

An injury to Grealish, Adomah, Kodjia or Snodgrass kills us everytime as they are the only players in our side capable of picking the ball up and carrying it forward. This is where we struggled against Fulham, and (unless Grealish is back) where we will struggle tonight.

Cardiff have had similar injuries to us tbf.  This is what I am saying that we rely on individual players doing something special far too much. We did it under MON too. Longer term it doesn't work. I fully accepted under Bruce when we hired him that it was going to be this way. If it gets us the results I don't really care. 

Alex Neil on Villa in Brum Mail is echoing Omar's point... "They are patient behind the ball, I think they are joint second in the league for the number of counter-attack goals they have scored. Aston Villa set traps, nick the ball and try and hurt you that way.”

www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-wolves-alex-neil-14311849

And Grealish is central to all that. He links up the play provides the movement, sees the pass. We are much diminished without him. He is our 'style'.

Edited by Lerner's Driver