Pre Match Chitty Chatty Bang Bang

TheAuthority

18 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

A team with aspirations of automatic promotion should not be bothered by PNE at home just because 2 players are missing. Good teams just get on with it.

They've only lost one game since we beat them. 18 games ago.

In that run they've beaten Cardiff, beaten Sheffield Utd and Drawn with Wolves.

They also drew with Fulham earlier in the season.

So it seems quite a few teams with aspirations of automatic promotion are struggling against them.

Don't get me wrong, we SHOULD be winning. We've already beaten them once this season after all.

But it's clearly not an easy game, and I think you're probably pitching it as such to give you some ammo if we don't get the 3 points.

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

So it seems quite a few teams with aspirations of automatic promotion are struggling against them.

Don't get me wrong, we SHOULD be winning. We've already beaten them once this season after all.

But it's clearly not an easy game, and I think you're probably pitching it as such to give you some ammo if we don't get the 3 points.

They have also had some poor results drawing at home against teams around the bottom. They will sit back and let us play. Luckily they don't have lots of pace to attack us on the counter, especially if Axel is playing at the back. We just need to find a way through. I'd take a goal of Chester's back right now.

3 minutes ago, omariqy said:

They have also had some poor results drawing at home against teams around the bottom. They will sit back and let us play. Luckily they don't have lots of pace to attack us on the counter, especially if Axel is playing at the back. We just need to find a way through. I'd take a goal of Chester's back right now.

Yep, I don't think it will be pretty but I'm hopeful we can grind out the right result. They seem like a team who raise themselves for games against the bigger teams.

But I don't think we have to be as cautious as we were against Fulham so hopefully we're able to play a bit more tonight.

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep, I don't think it will be pretty but I'm hopeful we can grind out the right result. They seem like a team who raise themselves for games against the bigger teams.

But I don't think we have to be as cautious as we were against Fulham so hopefully we're able to play a bit more tonight.

Issue is we rely on our best players to produce something rather than having any sort of attacking style. We play a different way every game. I just feel we will be too disjointed to attack and it will take a scrappy goal to win it or maybe even draw it. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I'm not sure how much they will sit back. They are pushing for playoffs so will be looking for 3 points. Hopefully could work in our favour. 

56 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Issue is we rely on our best players to produce something rather than having any sort of attacking style. We play a different way every game. 

I don't agree with this whatsoever.

6 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Fair enough. At best you can say we have a counter attacking style away from home and a more direct MON approach at home. 

I'm not sure I see an issue with that.

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Issue is we rely on our best players to produce something rather than having any sort of attacking style. We play a different way every game. I just feel we will be too disjointed to attack and it will take a scrappy goal to win it or maybe even draw it. 

For the most part injuries are the reason we are playing differently in games.

The games we won with Grealish back in the side were all pretty similar in style and performance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep the draws are killing them.  As you say, one defeat in 16, but 8 draws.  In fact they're 2nd in the away league since that run.  Only Wolves are better away from home than PNE since gameweek 17.  Played 8, won 4, drew 4.  Thankfully we're 2nd in the home league over the same period, with better PPG :) 

8 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

For the most part injuries are the reason we are playing differently in games.

The games we won with Grealish back in the side were all pretty similar in style and performance.

Sheff Utd and Boro games were quite a different in style compared to the home games for example. I am not saying it is a bad thing but what I am saying is that for us to play the style we play at home relies heavily on players like Adomah and Grealish. If they are out then I don't know how well we adapt. Other teams can miss players i.e. Cardiff and still play an effective way to win games. Not sure if we can do that. I suppose today and maybe Saturday will either prove or disprove that. 

Just now, omariqy said:

Sheff Utd and Boro games were quite a different in style compared to the home games for example. I am not saying it is a bad thing but what I am saying is that for us to play the style we play at home relies heavily on players like Adomah and Grealish. If they are out then I don't know how well we adapt. Other teams can miss players i.e. Cardiff and still play an effective way to win games. Not sure if we can do that. I suppose today and maybe Saturday will either prove or disprove that. 

But name me a team in this league that don't rely on their three best players (including Kodjia)

Anyone bar maybe Wolves would need to adapt if they were missing their three best players.