Pre Match Chitty Chatty Bang Bang

TheAuthority

On 18/02/2018 at 00:06, VillaChris said:

It was a good time to play them in November, they barely had a back 4 out at the time as all their main defenders were injured.

I do get the feeling it's probably time to throw Grabban in, two sub appearences now so he should be ready to start and last for an hour. Think that will be the big change for Tuesday, two upfront.

I can see it being a frustrating draw tbh, PNE don't lose many at all and are a tough team to play against as they have lots of energy in midfield and pace upfront.

Yes, Hogan not scored in the past 2 matches so he can't grumble that he's dropped in the middle of a scoring spree. I fear it might knock his confidence but we need whats best for the team.

Tough game tomorrow, must admit I don't fancy our chances if Jack/Adomah are out. Having said that, PNE played most the second half on Saturday with 10 men, so in theory we should be fresher. Echo what others have said - a big NO to Onomah. He is total dogshit and a waste of a shirt

3 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Birmingham Mail expecting Grealish to start... personally can't see it based on Bruce's quotes the other day and, to be honest, I'd prefer to have him on the bench at best if there is any element of risk whatsoever.

But then again, what do I know.

Was that the guess the lineup thing? I wouldn't take too much notice of that.

52 minutes ago, MikeAVFC said:

Tough game tomorrow, must admit I don't fancy our chances if Jack/Adomah are out. Having said that, PNE played most the second half on Saturday with 10 men, so in theory we should be fresher. Echo what others have said - a big NO to Onomah. He is total dogshit and a waste of a shirt

A team with aspirations of automatic promotion should not be bothered by PNE at home just because 2 players are missing. Good teams just get on with it.

• Like 1

A difficult match lies ahead and Preston should not be underestimated. Interesting stat that they have only lost one league game in 16 matches, that was a 3-2 home defeat to Middlesborough on the 1st of Jan.

Stating the obvious i know, but Its critical we bounce back with a win. Bruce needs to get this one right.

Click here for the match summary and head to head to head stats

• Just three days since the last round of matches, the Championship rolls on. For Aston Villa, it’s the second game against a rival in the promotion/playoff race in three days - while Preston go head to head with another top side after meeting the league leaders in their last match.
  • Before the loss away to Fulham at the weekend, Villa had seven wins on the bounce and were second in the league. A 2-0 loss and zero points however, meant that Cardiff sneaked past them and the Villains now find themselves in third place entering this round.
  • One and one: Preston drew 1-1 against league leaders Wolves in the last round, and remarkably this was the fourth time in the last six Championship matches they have recorded this very result. Entering this round in seventh place and just outside the playoff spots, the Lancashire side need to turn draws into wins to catch up with the teams ahead of them.
  • Manager Alex Neil is pleased with how his team has performed in recent weeks: “We’ve lost one in 16 league games, and we’ve played a lot of good sides, so if we don’t take belief in what we’re doing and what we can be, then we never will.”
  • Players to watch: Albert Adomah has found the net in the last two matches for the Villains and has 13 Championship goals to date.
  • Having scored in Preston’s last two away matches, Tom Barkhuizen will look to get amongst the goals again. Can he score at Villa Park as well?
  • Stat attack: Villa are unbeaten in eight home games (W6, D2), scoring 19 goals in the process.
  • Preston are unbeaten in eight away games (W4, D4). Five of these have ended under 2.5 goals.
  • Preston are the ‘draw kings’ in the Championship, with 14 draws so far. Five of these draws have been 0-0.

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Much higher than that. Away end is 2.7k and Upper Trinity holds just over 4k I think.

No I think that is about right. Burton was virtually sold out bar the away and UT and that was 33,000 with about 1500 Burton. I think Villa Park is shrinking- either that or we are selling a lot less corporate these days as Blues did not even hit 42k with it being  a 'sell out'.

3 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

A team with aspirations of automatic promotion should not be bothered by PNE at home just because 2 players are missing. Good teams just get on with it.

It's not quite that easy, even if we'd all want it to be. Those two are the lifeline of our attack. Goal scoring is still somewhat of a weakness to us. 

• Like 2

Preston will be smelling blood too. They have their own agenda to make the playoffs. 1 loss in 16 in any league is impressive, they'll be thinking an under strength Aston Villa are there for the taking. They have a few coming back from suspension too.

Its just another big test of where we are and how we respond to the latest set back. Will be interesting to see if we can do it.

6 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yes, Hogan not scored in the past 2 matches so he can't grumble that he's dropped in the middle of a scoring spree. I fear it might knock his confidence but we need whats best for the team.

No I think Hogan will start aswell. 4-4-2 tomorrow night. Wasn't it said when he signed Grabban works better with another striker.

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

No I think that is about right. Burton was virtually sold out bar the away and UT and that was 33,000 with about 1500 Burton. I think Villa Park is shrinking- either that or we are selling a lot less corporate these days as Blues did not even hit 42k with it being  a 'sell out'.

It's a reduced away allocation so the odd seat is left empty in the away end. As I said before that corner bit between the Witton/North isn't used anymore so that's 500 seats to chalk off. You could be right on the coporate, that gets counted in the attendance.

2 hours ago, AVTuco said:

It's not quite that easy, even if we'd all want it to be. Those two are the lifeline of our attack. Goal scoring is still somewhat of a weakness to us. 

Yeah we've much easier to defend agains without those two. Albert and Jack running with the ball stretches and commits defences and creates space.

Without them I fear it will all be a bit too pedestrian going forward with a lack of pace so that's why I'd start Grabban as I assume he is pretty quick if we knock a ball over the top.

5 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Keep Snoddy on the right and play Grabban on the left. He played very well on the wing against us last year for Reading, got an assist and scored the penalty.

Not sure who we play instead of Gresford if he doesn't make it.

Gresford suits him way more than Grealish.

Gresford makes me think of a player from the 1920s.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

It's a reduced away allocation so the odd seat is left empty in the away end. As I said before that corner bit between the Witton/North isn't used anymore so that's 500 seats to chalk off. You could be right on the coporate, that gets counted in the attendance.

They also don't seem to ever sell the seats right in the lower corner of the Holte near the Doug Ellis. I think our official capacity is actually about 1,000 less than we can ever sell.  I think it we will struggle to get 30,000 on Tuesday but hopefully those do turn up since a decent win.

3 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Pretty much. It's totally unrealistic to expect not to have any concerns when your two most important attacking players could be out.

Edited by Mantis