Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TheAuthority

Genetic Tests

Recommended Posts

Has anyone done those mail-in genetic tests? There are some for health some for ancestry and some which are a mix. If so what were you looking to get out of it? and what actually did you end up finding out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Has anyone done those mail-in genetic tests? There are some for health some for ancestry and some which are a mix. If so what were you looking to get out of it? and what actually did you end up finding out?

I have. Mentioned it in another thread.

 

My verdict is, if you are generally confident of your background and ancestry then it's not worth it. I basically paid £70 to be told that I'm mostly Irish/British and my ancestors were mostly from Munster. All of which I already knew. I also bought one for my mom as a gift and found out she's 90% Irish which, again, we'd have been pretty confident of anyway.

So it's pretty interesting, but the only relatives it's found for me are 4th cousins, and lots of them, so nothing very exciting.

 

A girl from work, on the other hand, did the test with her Mom and found out they were Irish (They had no idea), and her mom ended up being linked to some 1st cousins she didn't know she had and ended up getting in contact with her birth father who she never knew. So for them it was amazing and worth every penny.

 

So I think it totally depends what you want to get out of it. For me it wasn't worth the money but for others it absolutely would be.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I might give it a go. I'd like to know my mother's side. Her father was Luftwaffe pilot who was shot down and his family were coffin makers in Czechoslovakia. My father's side is pretty much nailed on to be British/Irish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

assuming it's like the spit test in the video linked to on the other topic ....

My Nan ( on my dads side ) told me years back that her parents were German and and Irish  ... My mums side would be Durham and London , no idea beyond that

Mrs h is Hungarian so there is quite likely to be some Turkish and I'd imagine even Mongolian in her side as well  ,  so whilst mine would be interesting  , my Kids would have a amazing DNA print I should think , could almost hold a United Nations meeting on their own :) 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I think I might give it a go. I'd like to know my mother's side. Her father was Luftwaffe pilot who was shot down and his family were coffin makers in Czechoslovakia. My father's side is pretty much nailed on to be British/Irish.

It won't split it by side like that.

It'll just say you're 50% british, 30% German, 10% Czech, 10% Irish, for example. It's not specific to sides of the family unless they've done the tests too and you'd see their results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

assuming it's like the spit test in the video linked to on the other topic ....

My Nan ( on my dads side ) told me years back that her parents were German and and Irish  ... My mums side would be Durham and London , no idea beyond that

Mrs h is Hungarian so there is quite likely to be some Turkish and I'd imagine even Mongolian in her side as well  ,  so whilst mine would be interesting  , my Kids would have a amazing DNA print I should think , could almost hold a United Nations meeting on their own :) 

 

 

I think it depends. Your kids could have more DNA from one side than another of your kids.

The girl from work I mentioned above has a twin sister (non-identical) and her twin did the test too, and their results are very different.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The video in the other thread did get me thinking about this and there's also an ad on TV at the moment for 23andme.com

That company tests genealogy and your predisposition for certain diseases. After hunting around a little there are companies that do one or the other in more depth. You can pay for very specific cancer screenings if you like. With my family history the gene health test is quite interesting. Cancer on both sides and dad sadly gone already when he was 67.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  


×
×
  • Create New...
Â