Replacement Banner on North Stand

Hev

Before the game on Sunday, I noticed the lovely new replacement banner on the North Stand and then, on looking further,  noticed that whilst it looks great with the Badge added at either end, unfortunately, there appear to be a couple of errors ?   The correct wording is, I believe, "Shaw, Williams, prepared to venture down the left. There's a good ball in for Tony Morley" . . . etc but the banner says  Williams prepared to adventure down the left.  There's a goodball in . . .

Pedantic of me I guess but it's a shame, especially as the commentary is so iconic .  Still onwards and upwards

Edited by Hev
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hev said:

Before the game on Sunday, I noticed the lovely new replacement banner on the North Stand and then, on looking further,  noticed that whilst it looks great with the Badge added at either end, unfortunately, there appear to be a couple of errors ?   The correct wording is, I believe, "Shaw, Williams, prepared to venture down the left. There's a good ball in for Tony Morley" . . . etc but the banner says  Williams prepared to adventure down the left.  There's a goodball in . . .

Pedantic of me I guess but it's a shame, especially as the commentary is so iconic .  Still onwards and upwards

I didn't notice that.

But "prepared to venture down the left" is quite an iconic piece of commentary, even for me who wasn't alive to hear it. It's pretty poor form if they've got that wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hev said:

Best not read the programme too often.  It's a pedant's nightmare!

Well well, I have listened carefully to that clip on You Tube and you are right he definitely DOES say "adventure".  Fancy that, we have had it wrong all these years.   It obviously was some sort of urban myth.    I have to say well done then to the makers of the new banner for "righting a longstanding wrong".   (We can forgive them the "goodball" all in one word) .  Lovely banner and well done. 

Thanks OutbyEaster for clearing it up.   

Â