Pre Match Thread

TheAuthority

19 minutes ago, NulliSecundus said:

Been to Fulham away twice... lost both times. Our record there is really shocking though... time to turn it around.

It is a bit of a bobgey ground for us isnt it. When was our last win there. I remember a 2-0 win when Chris Smalling had just agreed to go to Man Utd but was seeing out the season at Fulham, and Gabby scored both for us, showing him up and making him look very weak and slow. I remember telling my manc-supporting mate how shite he looked, guess I was right although i was probably waxing lyrical about how good Gabby was too <_<.

Suurely that wasnt our last win there? Even the season they went down they still did the double over us..

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I'll never forget JPA's two missed penalties. 

Was just think that, and also delaney got a serious injury there. Its not been a great ground for us but time to put that right. JT will love it too 

1 hour ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Ugh that is the only time in my life I have punched a wall in anger.

Congratulations on waking from your 5 year coma, you must have a lot to catch up on!

(May i suggest you watch the villa history bit away from any walls)

• Haha 1

On 2/13/2018 at 15:09, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Id be tempted to try Axel at RB to deal with RS. Elmo got caught out a few times on Sunday and somehow I dont think we'll be let off the hook at Craven Cottage the way theyve been attacking teams during their good run.

The other question mark is BB back in for Jedinak. Mile put in a MOTM performance against Blues but this game will be different. Its good to see though that whoever comes in had performed lately.

Id probably go with:

Johnstone

Tuanzebe - Chester - Terry - Hutton

Jedinak

Snodgrass - Hourihane - Grealish - Adomah

Hogan

That looks very strong to me....my only doubt is Jed or Thor.

Jed will win more ball aerially.....but Thor may be more mobile to play in Snoddy and Albert.

I'll leave it to the Gaffa.

On 13/02/2018 at 15:09, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Id be tempted to try Axel at RB to deal with RS. Elmo got caught out a few times on Sunday and somehow I dont think we'll be let off the hook at Craven Cottage the way theyve been attacking teams during their good run.

The other question mark is BB back in for Jedinak. Mile put in a MOTM performance against Blues but this game will be different. Its good to see though that whoever comes in had performed lately.

Id probably go with:

Johnstone

Tuanzebe - Chester - Terry - Hutton

Jedinak

Snodgrass - Hourihane - Grealish - Adomah

Hogan

I’d stick with the back 4 as it is - Elmo has done enough to warrant his place and his link up play with snodgrass is as asset .

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Eastie said:

I’d stick with the back 4 as it is - Elmo has done enough to warrant his place and his link up play with snodgrass is as asset .

I think you make a good point....I am not an Elmo fan, but i do respect the fact he links up with Snoddy very well and they played at Hull together, so they know each others game.

the little partnerships are important and i think that will influence SB to stick with it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Winners Win.

Seems to me we have become Winners. The Sheffield United game was it for me.

I think the players feel it - that indefinable and rare thing when you start expecting to overcome whatever is thrown at you. You can almost reach out and touch it. Clubs like Man U had it for years (yes at a higher level).  In other sports England were like it when the won the rugby WC, the Cricketers experienced it in 2005 in the Ashes....the narrow games went their way..its not luck.

It doesn't mean its a done deal, sport never is, and there's a way to go "many a slip twixt cup and lip"...............but this feels like the real thing...........

As excited about Saturdays game as I have been for a looonnnngggg time !

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Winners Win.

Seems to me we have become Winners. The Sheffield United game was it for me.

I think the players feel it - that indefinable and rare thing when you start expecting to overcome whatever is thrown at you. You can almost reach out and touch it. Clubs like Man U had it for years (yes at a higher level).  In other sports England were like it when the won the rugby WC, the Cricketers experienced it in 2005 in the Ashes....the narrow games went their way..its not luck.

It doesn't mean its a done deal, sport never is, and there's a way to go "many a slip twixt cup and lip"...............but this feels like the real thing...........

As excited about Saturdays game as I have been for a looonnnngggg time !

Bang on Terry....there seems a belief now.....but there again, it sport, anything can happen.

Tuanzebe in at RB makes a lot of sense, given the threat that Sessegnon poses. Admittedly I'm basing that thinking on a 2 minute YouTube video of him nullifying Alexis Sanchez in that position for Man Utd.

Fulham are a totally different prospect to blues, they'll look to pass through us rather than go long. With that in mind, I'd go horses for courses again and stick Birkir back in the DM position. Him and Hourihane pressing in the midfield feels like a sensible way to go.

Also, Fulham have scored a ton of late goals this season so I'd stack the bench with midfielders to come on and give the team fresh legs in the middle, should we manage to get into a winning position.