Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Burton

limpid

Match Polls  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/02/18 at 15:00

4 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Did we see the down side to our loan policy at about 65 minutes today? Bruce making a double substitution in a game that was ‘won’ bringing on two loan signings who probably have minimum games/minutes clauses in their contracts?

I thought that was a pretty bizarre decision which badly upset the balance of the team, so I’m wondering if there was more to it...or just a snafu from Brucey? <_< Hope I am wrong! 

Good performance and win otherwise!

The substitutions were utterly bizarre, carrying injuries or not, replacing two wingers and not actually having at least one like for like replacement (Green maybe ?) is baffling at best and poor management at worst. I'm Steve Bruce's biggest fan but I'm beginning to think our recent form is more luck than judgement. Long may the ineptitude continue if it's the case! 

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think Tuanzabe went to right back, I think he was the right sided of three centre backs - I think he looked a little more like a right back because Elmohamady took the opportunity to get the other side of Dyer and make him Tuanzabe's responsibility.

Interesting. I havent watched the full game yet. You saying we went three at the back for a bit after we took off Snoddy & Adomah? if so thats veyr interesting. I wonder of Bruce was trying something out.

First time in my life that we’ve won 6 in a row and I’m almost 28! Missed out on the last time by a couple of months. 

Weird game really as it was a very comfortable win that we almost screwed up through a comedy OG and JT having a one man game of musical statues at the end.

Could’ve gone for any of Grealish, Snodgrass and Adomah for MOTM but went for Snoddy - what a signing he has been. Our good form coincides with Jack coming back into the team from injury and showing the promise that we all hoped for. I feel that Snod has really upped his game in the same period - quality players bouncing off each other.

No problem with the substitutions as we were in total control when he made them. I haven’t been able to see the Grealish booking again (does anyone have a replay?) but I haven’t seen our players that incensed by a refereeing decision in a long time. The OG followed quickly after and that passage of play made the tactical subs look bad. If we’d had a pen and gone 3-0 up Bruce would’ve been praised for resting key men ahead of the derby.

K6 was busier than I’ve seen it in years yesterday. Thought the atmosphere in the ground was a bit flat overall though, maybe people thought it was a foregone conclusion?

To finish on a positive... our first goal was absolutely beautiful! Bring on the blues.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, romavillan said:

I thought Bjarnason was good, he's not exactly a world beater but the defensive work he was doing and the effort he puts in to being in space to give an easy out ball for who' in possession was notable especially first half.

The whole team was more off than on today, when we were on though we played some very good stuff, the goal especially typifies how we have improved and how much things have changed over the last couple of months.

Yeah he was, but playing quite deep as a DM does of course.

When you play 2 wingers you leave centre Mid over worked to a degree, fortunately Snoddy does double up as such, but we now know was carrying an injury.

I would like to see players in the middle that can deal better with an aerial challenge......I think we get knocked off the ball too easily at times.

Edited by TRO

19 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Elmo scored an own goal and Hutton didn't follow his man who went on to score their second.

Sorry but that was Terrys man, Terry either misjudged the flight of the ball or it took a slight deflection which took it just out of Terrys reach, harsh to blame Hutton for that as really it was Terrys man. If you watch it again they had a player out wide completely free - that was Huttons man. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think Tuanzabe went to right back, I think he was the right sided of three centre backs - I think he looked a little more like a right back because Elmohamady took the opportunity to get the other side of Dyer and make him Tuanzabe's responsibility.

Just looked like he was playing RB to me with Elmo going on the wing.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Yeah he was, but playing quite deep as a DM does of course.

When you play 2 wingers you leave centre Mid over worked to a degree, fortunately Snoddy does double up as such, but we now know was carrying an injury.

I would like to see players in the middle that can deal better with an aerial challenge......I think we get knocked off the ball too easily at times.

Maybe we lack a proper box to box midfielder in there, hourihane is good at what he does to an extent but he's not got enough of the qualities you mention there defensively and he's not as good as what Grealish offers going forward. A lot of teams would like a proper box to box midfielder though I spose...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The thing that swung it for me (playing rb) was the overlap on the right before he cut it back for elmo to cross for Jacks goal.

If he was playing centre back it was a bit of a rush of blood coming that far forward when protecting a 1 goal lead though, which would be a bit worrying; Prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt :)

As i said its moot anyway.

20 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

No, it was definitely four at the back. Elmo went right wing.

14 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Interesting. I havent watched the full game yet. You saying we went three at the back for a bit after we took off Snoddy & Adomah? if so thats veyr interesting. I wonder of Bruce was trying something out.

No, we didn't.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm pretty convinced we did - the three were a line that moved out and back together with Hutton and Elmo further up. 

Sorry OBE, but I’m positive you’re incorrect here. 

I looked out for it myself as I was wondering what formation we’d play when Axel came on. 

It was a back 4. He played RB. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Sorry OBE, but I’m positive you’re incorrect here. 

I looked out for it myself as I was wondering what formation we’d play when Axel came on. 

It was a back 4. He played RB. 

If you've seen it from TV then I'm guessing you're right, from the side it looked like a three but it's not always the best view.

19 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

If you've seen it from TV then I'm guessing you're right, from the side it looked like a three but it's not always the best view.

No, I was in the Holte End. 

• Like 1

He was definitely playing as a RB in the back four in my opinion. Otherwise why on earth would he have bombed it forward on occasions? 

However I can understand why people think he was part of a back 3 because he got sucked inside on one of Burtons attacks and there was a massive amount of space left on our right. But I think that was more poor positioning in that incident then him playing in a central role. 

After that he kept his position well. 

Edit: I watched the game on tv so couldn't see the back line like those at the game. Interesting if the back 3 were moving together with Elmo and Hutton further forward. Maybe he started with a back 3 and then changed it after their goal? 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He was definitely playing as a RB in the back four in my opinion. Otherwise why on earth would he have bombed it forward on occasions? 

However I can understand why people think he was part of a back 3 because he got sucked inside on one of Burtons attacks and there was a massive amount of space left on our right. But I think that was more poor positioning in that incident then him playing in a central role. 

After that he kept his position well. 

Edit: I watched the game on tv so couldn't see the back line like those at the game. Interesting if the back 3 were moving together with Elmo and Hutton further forward. Maybe he started with a back 3 and then changed it after their goal? 

It was a back four as soon as he came on. Hutton stayed LB, Elmo went to right wing, Onomah (who came on at the same time) went to left wing. 

The formation didn’t change. 

On ‎4‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 08:47, AVTuco said:

Elmo scored an own goal and Hutton didn't follow his man who went on to score their second.

Very harsh to blame their second on Hutton solely. 

The gap between Chester and Terry was way too big, Chester was out of position which made for an easy over the top...  Secondly, Terry stood still leaving his opponent behind him, to his defence, maybe he was playing for an offside but that's probably being too generous 

Â