Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Burton

limpid

Match Polls  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/02/18 at 15:00

5 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Noticeably it was the defensive minded substitutions that almost cost us this win. Taking off of our more  attack minded players and replacing them with more defensive minded players at home to rock bottom Burton was a totally unfathomable decision.

I thought this would be a problem, as I said in the match thread. I think probably most of us thought the same. A crazy decision. And it demonstrates that Bruce still has this defensive mentality. Bruce really needs to think more about his bench and ensure we have an offensive capability on it.

Great to get the 3 points, but, as so often, unnecessarily nervy at the end. 

We held our position, maintained the points difference, so job done. We will still get automatic.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Johnstone really needed to collect the ball for the corner that Chester conceded for their first goal. Poor goalkeeping. 

Not the first time he has done that either. Its probably his only real flaw. He is reluctant to chase down balls away from goal like that. I understand why, he doesnt want to look like an idiot and leave an open goal, but sometimes you have to.

• Like 2

Just heading home from the game. Thought we were solid for 65 mins then when the Elmo OG went in it was a sense of ‘here we go again’. Then the ref decided to play his part which led to a ‘he must have Burton or Draw in the work sweepstake’ before Jack finished really well and I thought we were home and hosed. However, to switch off like that at the end was absolutely criminal and we were deservedly punished for it. 

As others have said, the substitutions didn’t make much sense at the time (taking both of our wingers off at the same time - although I can see it as thinking the game was won and saving them for next week, which smacks somewhat of arrogance) and it gave Burton impetus. Axel was impressive and I will be proud to say we aided his development, as with Walker and Milner.

We still need to remember to play the full 90+howevermanyminutes the ref wants to give.

Overall though, pleased to get the win, 6 on the bounce and bring on SHA next week for the Magnificent Seven. 

• Like 1

Sometimes when you're actually at the game you see things that people who aren't there don't see, the things that TV cameras don't pick up.

Today was not one of those days, it was a day where you needed replays to make sense of anything, largely due to the referee. I've come back with a heap of questions for people who had the benefit of replays.

• We were through on goal four or five times in the game and flagged offside - at first glance, I thought at least two of those in the first half were wrong. I'm often wrong from my seat, were we unlucky or was the linesman a genius?
  • Jack's booking - pretty much the whole Villa side was utterly incensed by his booking, Jack was still angry and talking to the ref about it after the final whistle - penalty of dive?
  • Their second goal - why had everyone else on the pitch stopped, what were our defence doing?

I'm fairly sure the referee was absolutely shocking, but without the benefit of referral it's difficult to say - some of his decisions were given for things I couldn't find.

Outside of that, in the bits where I could figure out what was going on, I thought we made hard work of it, Burton grafted and we looked a tiny bit off the pace. I thought Albert and Snoddy worked hard and looked tired; it was the right time to bring them off, even if our options from the bench were limited, I thought Grealish was excellent once again, driving at the defence and getting the goal his performance deserved. 

Hogan looked very sharp and much more prepared to work than a month ago, some of his chasing was exemplary - with a friendlier linesman it might have been his day. Hourihane was good first half and faded in the second I thought, and Bjarnason did very well. Both centre backs looked good with the exception of the statues moment for the second Burton goal and Terry in particular at times showed the calmness and decision making skills that have allowed him to build a house big enough for all those trophies.

I came to slate Elmohamady and he's made it more difficult for me by scoring an own goal. I can live with the own goal (shoddy though it was); at some point most defenders will have lost their orientation and banged one into the roof of their own net, it happens I guess. What really disappointed me today was that he put in ninety minutes that was almost entirely devoted to avoiding taking any responsibility for Lloyd Dyer. Any time Dyer got the ball Elmo would frantically try to pass him on to someone else, desperately look for a second runner he could follow away from him or point aimlessly into the space he should have been occupying. Alan Hutton gets criticism as a full back, but he takes responsibility for his man, he offers some courage - this was a performance of cowardice - and the rest of the back four (and five later in the game) carried him through it. A full back should not spend ninety minutes running away from a winger.

Still, we laboured a little but produced three goals, we conceded two freakish ones but none that you'd normally expect us to and we won. Three more points and another 'way to win a game' to add to our growing collection.

Life is sweet; bring on the filth.

• Like 3

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/pompey-boss-i-won-t-criticise-referee-1-8352415/amp

In the process, Coote was booed off at half-time and full-time for his role in controversial spot-kick decisions.

The first involved Shaun Whalley handling Oli Hawkins’ 31st-minute header, with replays providing a compelling argument in Pompey’s favour.

Skipper Gareth Evans was booked for his protests as furious Blues players confronted Coote, while assistant boss Joe Gallen was also given a talking to.

You have to accept the referee didn’t give it and you move on

Kenny Jackett

Then, on 90 minutes, the ball struck Shrews defender Omar Beckles on what appeared to be the arm but again no penalty was forthcoming.

Afterwards, however, Jackett refrained from firing shots in Coote’s direction.

Pompey’s boss said: ‘I always accept the referee’s decision after the game and always look at my own team.

‘If you are asking my opinion on certain incidents, I did appeal for the penalty at the time and haven’t looked at it again because there is no point. He didn’t give it and that’s it.

‘You have to accept the referee didn’t give it and you move on.

‘The players have said about the Omar Beckles incident.

‘I have got to say, I didn’t really see it to be honest with you. It was down the other end.

‘Again the situation is the referee hasn’t given it – so it wasn’t a penalty.

‘You have to look at your own team, look for the positives, there was a lot of heart there and a real high number of balls to the box.

‘But to be fair to Shrewsbury they got a very good clean sheet and the winner from a set-piece at the other end.

‘Players react to their instincts and what they see. We appealed for it and he didn’t give it. The players were slightly angry but they kept going, even down to 10 men. We had a key chance at the death and we can’t complain about that.’

James Bolton’s 21st-minute far-post finish from Whalley’s corner settled Saturday’s encounter.

Yet Shrews keeper Craig MacGillivray had to pull off excellent saves from Hawkins, Kal Naismith and substitute Brett Pitman to secure victory.

Pitman also saw an 84th-minute shot deflected on to the crossbar after he was teed up by Connor Ronan’s header.

Shrewsbury boast the second-best defensive record in the league – and Jackett felt that showed during their Fratton Park shut-out.

He added: ‘Shrewsbury are a very strong defensive unit and worked hard to get a clean sheet.

‘They got a key win and key goal from a set-piece which is ultimately frustrating for us because we had a high amount of balls into the box and didn’t use them.

‘It looks like we need so many more corners and balls into the box than the opposition to score – and that was the case on Saturday.’

Sounds about right.

**** useless. Then to back up his shit decisions by dishing out yellow cards. The arrogance.

We need to have subs who’s will challenge for a start. Adomah isn’t firing as much but there’s no one on bench who is a like for like replacement so when he’s comes off we change style a bit. I’d like Green on there to keep our wingers on there toes and the same goes for Hourihane. We were very sloppy and that’s on the back of a Sheffield Utd game where we got out of jail. We ground this win out and we will have games like that let’s hope we’ve saved our good football for next week. Onomah is a puzzle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Sometimes when you're actually at the game you see things that people who aren't there don't see, the things that TV cameras don't pick up.

Today was not one of those days, it was a day where you needed replays to make sense of anything, largely due to the referee. I've come back with a heap of questions for people who had the benefit of replays.

• We were through on goal four or five times in the game and flagged offside - at first glance, I thought at least two of those in the first half were wrong. I'm often wrong from my seat, were we unlucky or was the linesman a genius?
  • Jack's booking - pretty much the whole Villa side was utterly incensed by his booking, Jack was still angry and talking to the ref about it after the final whistle - penalty of dive?
  • Their second goal - why had everyone else on the pitch stopped, what were our defence doing?

I'm fairly sure the referee was absolutely shocking, but without the benefit of referral it's difficult to say - some of his decisions were given for things I couldn't find.

Outside of that, in the bits where I could figure out what was going on, I thought we made hard work of it, Burton grafted and we looked a tiny bit off the pace. I thought Albert and Snoddy worked hard and looked tired; it was the right time to bring them off, even if our options from the bench were limited, I thought Grealish was excellent once again, driving at the defence and getting the goal his performance deserved. 

Hogan looked very sharp and much more prepared to work than a month ago, some of his chasing was exemplary - with a friendlier linesman it might have been his day. Hourihane was good first half and faded in the second I thought, and Bjarnason did very well. Both centre backs looked good with the exception of the statues moment for the second Burton goal and Terry in particular at times showed the calmness and decision making skills that have allowed him to build a house big enough for all those trophies.

I came to slate Elmohamady and he's made it more difficult for me by scoring an own goal. I can live with the own goal (shoddy though it was); at some point most defenders will have lost their orientation and banged one into the roof of their own net, it happens I guess. What really disappointed me today was that he put in ninety minutes that was almost entirely devoted to avoiding taking any responsibility for Lloyd Dyer. Any time Dyer got the ball Elmo would frantically try to pass him on to someone else, desperately look for a second runner he could follow away from him or point aimlessly into the space he should have been occupying. Alan Hutton gets criticism as a full back, but he takes responsibility for his man, he offers some courage - this was a performance of cowardice - and the rest of the back four (and five later in the game) carried him through it. A full back should not spend ninety minutes running away from a winger.

Still, we laboured a little but produced three goals, we conceded two freakish ones but none that you'd normally expect us to and we won. Three more points and another 'way to win a game' to add to our growing collection.

Life is sweet; bring on the filth.

I'll pick you up on that because I think it's a little unfair. Dyer can out pace almost any fullback in the league and I should imagine the instructions were for the team to double up on him. Snodgrass worked hard as usual to track back and help. I noticed that Dyer was getting special attention from us today and was their best outlet. Overall Elmo offer so much going forward, I don't mind personally if he needs a bit of help with tricky attackers. 

Â