Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Burton

limpid

Match Polls  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/02/18 at 15:00

I think we saw the good bad and ugly of Villa all in one game. 

Firstly credit to Burton. They really tried to play just lacked quality. First 20 minutes we were poor and sloppy. 

The goal was quality and after that we played some really good stuff at times. Superb one touch football. 

Grealish was good as always and delighted he got his goal. Albert was much better and the player we know he can be. 

Now this is the baffling part. We are in complete control of a game and you take of 2 of the best players off so early in the game and totally change the dynamics of the team.

This along with a ridiculous decision by the ref and of a course a howler of an own goal let them back in the game. 

Credit to Elmo for keeping his head and making the goal. 

Finally Grealish motm is too easy. I think apart the mistake which they should have had a penalty for I Thor was superb and my motm. He was absolutely everywhere and really does give so much energy to the team. 

Well done on the three points. 

• Like 2

We were unplayable for much of the match. Pity two very sloppy goals took the gloss off it.

There were some great performances and MOTM could have gone to any of Grealish, Bjarnarson, Snodgrass, Hutton or Adomah, but in the end it's Grealish that really gets this team ticking, capped off with a lovely goal and should have won us the penalty that would have iced the game for us. There's no doubt in my mind that our brilliant run has been closely connected to Bruce building the way we play around him.

Speaking of Bruce, a couple of truly mystifying subs really invited Burton back into the game. He could have taken off Snoddy OR Albert not both. Taking off both really just invited them onto us and put us under pressure.

And as for that ref - there are no words ...

• Like 3

Noticeably it was the defensive minded substitutions that almost cost us this win. Taking off of our more  attack minded players and replacing them with more defensive minded players at home to rock bottom Burton was a totally unfathomable decision.

• Like 4

Happy to have got the 3 points, good spread of goals from 3 attacking players. Ref was on a different planet at times. Wasn’t to impressed by the substitutions but thought that was due in part to a poor bench selection. Bring on next Sunday to see if we can make it lucky 7.

8 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Noticeably it was the defensive minded substitutions that almost cost us this win. Taking off of our more  attack minded players and replacing them with more defensive minded players at home to rock bottom Burton was a totally unfathomable decision.

As much as I didn't like the substitutions, I don't think you can say the subs made any real difference to our threat or our defensiveness. After the subs we scored a great goal with one player further forwards setting it up who had previously been in defence. 

Basically, I don't agree at all. I think Elmohamady nailing the ball into the top corner for no reason almost cost us a win if you want to be picky. 

Having said that, I think they were the wrong substitutions. I'd have taken Hogan off without a doubt. He might be scoring but he really doesn't do anything else whatsoever. I'm no fan.

Â