For the love of gaming...

Dodgyknees

I was always a massive gamer. But the past few years I have dropped off. Previously I would play RPG games, car racing sims, FPS games, football, cricket and more - a wide range. I’ve tried so many games in the past 2 years which are highly rated but do nothing for me (Witcher 3, Skyrim, Fifa 17, Project Cars) and more.

I have absolutely loved BOTW and Mario Odyssey - more than any other games for a while. But I really didn’t ‘feel’ Persona 5 which is usually a big hitter for me.

Anybody else struggling to find more games to enjoy?

i havent played my PS4 or Xbone this year, bought a snes mini and probably put 5 hours in to it

tend to play 1 game seriously and smash it to bits rather than play a little bit a lot (last one was horizon, before that it was GTA 5, i was putting about 3/4 hours a night in on that) expecting god of war and ni no kuni to get me going again, red dead will definitely get me in to it

I always find when I fall out of love with it to strip it back to the bare bones. I sold my xb1s and PS4 earlier this year with a **** tonne of games and got a Switch again instead, bought 2 of games and just focused on them.

I get fatigued with all the latest AAA big hitters and the inevitable backlog plus the way the AAA industry is run just depresses me. I’m not saying Nintendo aren’t a company that just wants my money but I find I love their systems and games a hell of a lot more than the others.

My advice, slim it down to one system and a couple of games and just invest in only those games.

Edited by Ingram85

The single player triple A games from the last generation were definitely better - Fallout, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Deus Ex Human Revolution (etc) are without peers in the current generation.

That been said, there are a lot of games under the radar which have filled up my playing time. I generally play Overwatch then flip between a number of other titles including Steins Gate, Polybius, Zero Escape, Sonic Mania, Undertale, Elite Dangerous and shadow tactics. I've yet to pick up Divinity Original Sin 2 and have Pillars of Eternity & xcom 2 on my buylist. After I get through that lot, I may pick up a Switch.

I think if triple A implodes there is a strong secondary market ready to fill the void.

I need to find a game for the PS4 which excites me the way BOTW and MO have, it’s only through playing those that I realised how much fun gaming is.

I remember the way I used to feel when playing games, things like Tony Hawk on the PS1, MGS on the PS1, or Broken Sword 1&2.. even things like Theme Hospital, Halo 1&2, Project Gotham, Forza 4... 

Just now, Dick said:

I need to find a game for the PS4 which excites me the way BOTW and MO have, it’s only through playing those that I realised how much fun gaming is.

I remember the way I used to feel when playing games, things like Tony Hawk on the PS1, MGS on the PS1, or Broken Sword 1&2.. even things like Theme Hospital, Halo 1&2, Project Gotham, Forza 4... 

Shadow of the Colossus remake.

9 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Shadow of the Colossus remake.

Tempted by that, but it’ll likely be one of those on PS+ at some point, so will hold for that.

I think one of the issues is a lack of imagination in gaming, and that is why I love BOTW and MO. Although they are ‘the same’, they really aren’t. Whereas everything else in gaming is a remaster or a sequel.

3 hours ago, Dick said:

I was always a massive gamer. But the past few years I have dropped off. Previously I would play RPG games, car racing sims, FPS games, football, cricket and more - a wide range. I’ve tried so many games in the past 2 years which are highly rated but do nothing for me (Witcher 3, Skyrim, Fifa 17, Project Cars) and more.

I have absolutely loved BOTW and Mario Odyssey - more than any other games for a while. But I really didn’t ‘feel’ Persona 5 which is usually a big hitter for me.

I know how you feel. Far cry seems to be the only game I enjoy playing. I have no patient for any other game. Can't wait for the far cry 5.

10 hours ago, Dick said:

I went through a similar phase a few years back. Got bored of gaming and took 6 months off. Now I grab every spare minute I can on the PS4. I've not got enough time for gaming.

Gaming for me is only fun if I can decide on a single undisputed game to play.

I have the first world problem of too many games which should be amazing, I mean as a kid I would have killed to have 400+ games on PC, 200+ games on PS4 and 180+ games on Xbox One, but indecision is the greatest killer of fun I have ever found.

I can be playing 1 game and subconsciously I want to be playing the other 60 games I passed over while deciding on the game I'm currently playing. 

It's an issue I don't yet know how to truly solve. The only way I get past it is when games like Monster Hunter World launch that absorb me enough that I forget about other games, but those games don't come around often enough.

• Like 1

When I'm stuck for something to play I'll look at stuff I haven't touched for a while and try to get back into it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. 

I had a bizarre hankering to play This War of Mine recently, which I really enjoyed, yet I didn't touch it when it actually came to PS+. 

My enjoyment of games now is very dependent on how much time on single sittings I can dedicate to it, and if it's the sort of game that complies with that 'style'  of play. I'd love to finish off the Danganronpa games of PS4, but they're about as far from pick up and play as possible. As a result, I don't play it, but I know there's an awesome game there which I won't touch, which is a bit depressing. 

There are exceptions. P5 and FFXV I played in 2-ish hour chunks, and I had to tear myself away from them, but I've got other stuff I've gotta do, boring shitty adult things, yuk. Ideally I would have played them for hours and hours at a time. I wonder if my enjoyment would have been heightened or reduced playing in that manner? 

• Like 1

Â