Hatton vs Mayweather

Grant(aka_eddy)

Who will win?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hatton
    • Mayweather
    • Too close to call

He's too young to retire, he's in his prime.

He needs to return to his natural weight now, light-welterweight.

Fight someone like Junior Witter, another arrogant **** that wants a piece of Hatton.

I suspect he'll lose again if he fights Witter so I doubt he'll take that fight.

He'll go down to 140 again, take an easy comeback fight and then go for a belt - if he decides to carry on.

Junior Witter is a lightweight, just below Hatton.

I think it would be a good return fight for him.

No point in him fighting De La Hoya, other than for another big pay day. De La Hoya is at the end of his career, but having watched the fight the weekend, i reckon Hatton would probabley struggle again.

i thought hattons next fight would be against de la hoya?

also just liek to say cant mayweather go up a weight like hatton did? i think if hatton didnt hav eto go up a weight division he would have won.

Thats what made the difference really.

He's a seriously hitter at his natural weight, but his punches just don't have the effect when he moves up to Welterweight. He only just out pointed Collazo, so i think he'll have a hard time against most at Welterweight.

i thought hattons next fight would be against de la hoya?

also just liek to say cant mayweather go up a weight like hatton did? i think if hatton didnt hav eto go up a weight division he would have won.

Mayweather has been up and down the weights already - in his fight before this one he beat De La Hoya at 154 (light middleweight) and actually moved down 7lbs to face Hatton, who moved up 7lbs. Mayweather started his career at 130, so he's already fighting above his natural weight.

Using gaining 7lbs as an excuse is just wrong, Hatton was owned, outclassed and knocked out. No shame in it, he lost to one of the very best ever.

hatton needs to get his ass back down to light welter and take on witter, and if khan keeps on improving the way he is, that could be another great fight in the future if hatton's still around.

I think the fact that Floyd is such a cock personality wise, makes people wanna make excuses for Hatton.

Mayweather won me over this week.

Id been thinking about it for a while actually. I dont know whether it was in this thread or another where i defended Mayweather for blanking Hatton when the possibility of a fight appeared on the radar. Early mind games to a legitimate target. Fair game.

Everything Mayweather does is designed to get under an opponents skin. The KO in the fight came from Hatton becoming reckless and Mayweather punishing it. If Hatton had kept his cool i think the fight would have ended up on an overwhelming points win in Mayweathers favour, but Hatton wouldnt have got knocked out. Every second of Hatton's experience of Mayweather from the first time they were in the same room together to the final weigh in before the fight was mind games and head **** from the American. Some subtle (the video of him complaining to his trainer about his hand hurting) and some not so subtle (just being in his face at every opportunity)

Mayweather projects himself as a prick, yet people like De La Hoya and Amir Khan come out and say that in private he is a thoroughly decent bloke, and in fact very likable. I couldnt see it myself.

Then in the interview immediately after the fight Mayweather shows that he can be magnanimous in victory. He was a perfect gent. The impression i get from reading the papers this weekend also suggests that the private post fight conversations betweem Hatton and Mayweather have seen them getting along famously too.

So youve got to seperate Mayweather the Boxer from Mayweather the Man. Mayweather the Boxer knows that its a 24/7 job. Every time you are seen in public you are at work and if you can gain a 1% advantage from pissing off the guy you are or may be fighting then its worth doing. That 1% could be the difference between being a good fighter and being a great fighter. Mayweather isnt stupid. In fact, i think he is a lot cleverer than a lot of people give him credit for and if he is playing the game as well as i think he is then im in awe of the man.

I'm with the Rev on this.

I couldn't stand Mayweather before the fight and thought he was an arrogant prick.

Then straight after the fight he went up to Hatton and had Hattons head in hes hands and seem to be genuinely concerned about him. In hes interview afterwards he was very gracious towards Hatton and with what he said seemed to win the British fans over inside the arena.

I always knew he was a great fighter but he doesn't seem such a bad guy either.

I think the fact that Floyd is such a cock personality wise, makes people wanna make excuses for Hatton.

Mayweather won me over this week.

Id been thinking about it for a while actually. I dont know whether it was in this thread or another where i defended Mayweather for blanking Hatton when the possibility of a fight appeared on the radar. Early mind games to a legitimate target. Fair game.

Everything Mayweather does is designed to get under an opponents skin. The KO in the fight came from Hatton becoming reckless and Mayweather punishing it. If Hatton had kept his cool i think the fight would have ended up on an overwhelming points win in Mayweathers favour, but Hatton wouldnt have got knocked out. Every second of Hatton's experience of Mayweather from the first time they were in the same room together to the final weigh in before the fight was mind games and head **** from the American. Some subtle (the video of him complaining to his trainer about his hand hurting) and some not so subtle (just being in his face at every opportunity)

Mayweather projects himself as a prick, yet people like De La Hoya and Amir Khan come out and say that in private he is a thoroughly decent bloke, and in fact very likable. I couldnt see it myself.

Then in the interview immediately after the fight Mayweather shows that he can be magnanimous in victory. He was a perfect gent. The impression i get from reading the papers this weekend also suggests that the private post fight conversations betweem Hatton and Mayweather have seen them getting along famously too.

So youve got to seperate Mayweather the Boxer from Mayweather the Man. Mayweather the Boxer knows that its a 24/7 job. Every time you are seen in public you are at work and if you can gain a 1% advantage from pissing off the guy you are or may be fighting then its worth doing. That 1% could be the difference between being a good fighter and being a great fighter. Mayweather isnt stupid. In fact, i think he is a lot cleverer than a lot of people give him credit for and if he is playing the game as well as i think he is then im in awe of the man.

Great post Rev, everyone who knows him personally when they have been asked always say he's a great person in reality, even Michael Buffer. Mayweather knows what makes a great build-up & he does it perfectly IMO.

• 2 months later...

I wonder how much that is costing the WWE a night? I remember when i was a kid and used to watch it a lot they had Mike Tyson in as a guest. Apparently that was $1,000,000 for one nights work. Several years on and assuming Mayweather will be involved for a week or three i wonder what the fee will be?

Â