The Fighting Game Resurgence

Chindie

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

MK11 finally revealed. As ever they're sticking to their April release date, they've just, for whatever reason, chosen to announce it a lot closer to release.

There's been a lot of rumours about what they're going to include with this, such as extensive single player adventure modes and the like, so the reveal should be interesting.

If nothing else that shot of MK3 Scorpion (with 2 mask) has me hyped. I love the classic ninja designs.

• 1 month later...

Maximilian Dood, probably the most well known fighting game streamer, is doing a playthrough of the MK9 story mode on YouTube at the moment, as part of a build up to the new game where he'll do coverage of all the old games again no doubt.

It's reminded me just how bloody good MK9 was. It was nearly perfect as an MK game. The gameplay was bang on, taking classic moves and the like but modernising it to a post SF4 world. It doesn't have the messy, bitty gameplay of X add it's style system and stage interactions, making it very clean to play, and it was fairly well balanced. It still looks great too, with generally the best character design they've had since the shift to 3d models (there's a few misses and issues - the female characters look absurd with weird proportions and shifty outfits, plus Sonya has a weird face, and a few characters look rough). And the story mode, a rerun of the stories of MK1-3 switching between characters every 3 fights or so, is still unparalleled.

Excellent game.

Hopefully 11 can deliver.

• 3 months later...
6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Looks bloody good but what the hell ahve they done to sub zero and scorpion. I absolutely hate these designs of them. 

The plot is all time travel based so I assume that's Scorpion and Sub Zero in the past.

Also they've brought in the customisation stuff from Injustice 2 (though I think it's only cosmetic this time) so you can get pretty classic looking characters too - most versions of Scorpion for instance have the usual face mask of some sort.

The customisation is pretty in-depth. It goes down to variations of Scorpion's kunai for instance.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The plot is all time travel based so I assume that's Scorpion and Sub Zero in the past.

Also they've brought in the customisation stuff from Injustice 2 (though I think it's only cosmetic this time) so you can get pretty classic looking characters too - most versions of Scorpion for instance have the usual face mask of some sort.

The customisation is pretty in-depth. It goes down to variations of Scorpion's kunai for instance.

Ah that makes more sense thanks. I'll definitely be picking this up for my switch. 

21 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Anyone else grabbed mortal kombat yet? 

Yeah I've managed to put a few hours in. It's a stunning looking game. As always with MK there's a lot in it and you feel like you're getting a fair bit for your money.

Biggest issues... The style of gameplay has changed a little. There's a much heavier feel to everything, with the speed dialed down and a bit of delay to inputs which takes a little time to get comfortable with. And the roster is a little bleh. MK without Reptile and Ermac these days feels wrong. I know why they're gone, but still...

19 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Yeah I've managed to put a few hours in. It's a stunning looking game. As always with MK there's a lot in it and you feel like you're getting a fair bit for your money.

Biggest issues... The style of gameplay has changed a little. There's a much heavier feel to everything, with the speed dialed down and a bit of delay to inputs which takes a little time to get comfortable with. And the roster is a little bleh. MK without Reptile and Ermac these days feels wrong. I know why they're gone, but still...

It's obviously to gain more money out of us for charchter packs later on. I've been reading a lot of. Complaints from people who feel cheated... 

I don't think I'd say I feel cheated. There's still a load of characters. The thing for me is just, the iconic characters of MK are the ninjas, and having 3 missing (Ermac, Reptile and Smoke), is a bit like something is missing. Plus the lack of the cyber ninjas. I suspect that they'll appear as DLC (the cyber ninjas are in the story I believe so it'll just be a case of getting them playable).

There's definitely some nickel and dime stuff in it though. It's got a load of consumable stuff and the krypt seems to have been made way too grind-y, but I kinda expect that from Warner Bros games these days. It's no detriment to the gameplay itself but you'd drive yourself insane trying to clear the crypt as it stands I think.

They've taken the standard route of shoe horning as much in game purchases as possible to see what they can get away with then immediately promised updates to scale it back. Very cynical and puts me off buying any game like that to be honest.

There's no mistakes here they just pushed as much as they thought they could get away with.

57 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

They've taken the standard route of shoe horning as much in game purchases as possible to see what they can get away with then immediately promised updates to scale it back. Very cynical and puts me off buying any game like that to be honest.

There's no mistakes here they just pushed as much as they thought they could get away with.

The daft thing is, they haven't.

The game has very limited micro transactions. There are 4 currencies in the game but they only sell 1 of these, and what you can buy with that currency is very limited. It's a limited selection of stuff you can unlock through gameplay anyway, on a timer rotation, and some consumables that you can use in game to give you advantages.

The other 3 currencies you can only earn through gameplay, and those are how you unlock stuff in the Krypt, which ranges from concept art to skins. The problem here is that economy is ****, and it turns unlocking stuff into an insane grind and time sink.

The 3 currencies are Koins, Soul Emblems and Hearts. You earn Koins for doing pretty much anything, and chests you open with Koins form the vast majority of Krypt unlockables. These chests vary in cost from about 1,000 to 20,000 Koins and generally the higher the cost the better the contents. These chests are also slightly randomised it seems. Every game has the same chests, but many of their locations are mixed up, meaning a chest you open and get a cool skin from, your mate might have to open a chest somewhere else to get that same skin.

Soul Emblems you also earn through playing the game, but at a slower rate than Koins. The chests you open with these seem to always cost 100 Emblems. You also gain Soul Emblems from chests occasionally or from doing tasks in the Krypt.

The real issue is Hearts. There are far less Heart chests in the Krypt, and they contain the best rewards. These chests either cost 100 or 250 Hearts, and they aren't randomised at all. The problem? You earn Hearts at a ridiculously low rate. You get a single Heart for winning a fight with a fatality or brutality. You occasionally will get Hearts as rewards for completing towers or in other chests. But still, assuming you never won any in any other way, the game expects you to complete literally thousands of matches with finishers to earn enough Hearts to open all the Heart chests.

This would make sense if they sold the Hearts, or if they had a 'unlock the Krypt for £20' option. It'd be grim, but it would make sense. But they don't. The unlocks are simply a huge, ludicrous time sink. The game seems to expect you to play it, and only it, and do so for literally years, if you want to unlock everything. Even where they do let you spend money to unlock stuff, it's very limited. A random timed rotation of handful of items, which even if you wanted to just give the developers money to open everything, would take forever.

The worst bit of money grubbing in the game is then selling a character unlock with no mention at all that you can unlock the character for free through gameplay (and quite easily). That's dodgy.

The Krypt though? It's just got completely **** balance. For no purpose other than to extend the time commitment. They need to either significantly reduce the cost of Krypt items or they need to massively up the rate you earn currency. Chests costing 250 Hearts when you earn 1 Heart per fight if you win and do a finisher is absurd.

It's actually a really good game.

The issues are they've made unlocking stuff take forever, which they've now patched (markedly - last night I was getting 8 hearts for a brutality win. Previously it was 2...) and the challenge towers are absurdly hard in many cases. They're apparently looking to patch this and supposedly have made some server side adjustments already.

The gameplay itself is excellent, and looks incredible, and there's a lot of game on offer. They just buggered the balance in a couple of areas and are fixing it.

On 30/04/2019 at 15:38, Chindie said:

It's actually a really good game.

The issues are they've made unlocking stuff take forever, which they've now patched (markedly - last night I was getting 8 hearts for a brutality win. Previously it was 2...) and the challenge towers are absurdly hard in many cases. They're apparently looking to patch this and supposedly have made some server side adjustments already.

The gameplay itself is excellent, and looks incredible, and there's a lot of game on offer. They just buggered the balance in a couple of areas and are fixing it.

I heard there was issues with the games nit saving properly and people losing all their rewards? 

Â