The Fighting Game Resurgence

Chindie

The last couple of years has seen a real comeback for fighting games. We've had a new Street Fighter (and a revision), Netherrealm has given us a really good DC Comics fighter with Injustice 2, Tekken 7 was very well received, we got a new Mahvel, which bombed commercially but was actually considered quite good by the community I understand, today Dragon Ball Fighter Z (or Fighterz, which is stupid) comes out and so far word on that has been excellent (and it's gorgeous). Looking forward, there's a new Soul Calibur coming, and you'd get short odds on a new Mortal Kombat being announced at E3. And I'm certain I've missed something. 

Always loved a good fighting game. I've never been great at them, the best I ever got was being ok with Scorpion, Smoke and Reptile in the newest Mortal Kombats. I get schooled online without fail. Yet I can't help picking them up. I've never even watched Dragon Ball but I've got a copy of Fighter Z here. And I need to get back to Mahvel, which I've always been particularly shite at but it's got Marvel characters so it has my heart.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

The last couple of years has seen a real comeback for fighting games. We've had a new Street Fighter (and a revision), Netherrealm has given us a really good DC Comics fighter with Injustice 2, Tekken 7 was very well received, we got a new Mahvel, which bombed commercially but was actually considered quite good by the community I understand, today Dragon Ball Fighter Z (or Fighterz, which is stupid) comes out and so far word on that has been excellent (and it's gorgeous). Looking forward, there's a new Soul Calibur coming, and you'd get short odds on a new Mortal Kombat being announced at E3. And I'm certain I've missed something. 

Always loved a good fighting game. I've never been great at them, the best I ever got was being ok with Scorpion, Smoke and Reptile in the newest Mortal Kombats. I get schooled online without fail. Yet I can't help picking them up. I've never even watched Dragon Ball but I've got a copy of Fighter Z here. And I need to get back to Mahvel, which I've always been particularly shite at but it's got Marvel characters so it has my heart.

you are right its about time. i am a massive dragonball fan but i dont like the games but this one looks fecking awesome 

the new MK games have bene great with good storylines. Like the new Tekken too although the last marvel vs capcom game was shocking 

Edited by Demitri_C

SFV has come a long way since it came out when it was horrible. I grew up on SF and MVC and the like. 

The one fighting game community I still keep up with, Smash, is still continuing to grow. The upcoming tournament, I think it's called Frostbite is apparently going to be record breaking in terms of turnout. Nice to see.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

you are right its about time. i am a massive dragonball fan but i dont like the games but this one looks fecking awesome 

the new MK games have bene great with good storylines. Like the new Tekken too although the last marvel vs capcom game was shocking 

Apparently Dragon Ball Fighter Z is very approachable. I'll hopefully get a chance to have a quick go later. 

The latest MvC I kinda struggled more than usual with, but a lot of people have said it's actually really quite good. I need to go back to it. The biggest issue it has is a crap roster imo. It's getting better but still not the best.

DBFZ seems to be very easy to get into. It seems like most characters are shoto style - every move is quarter circle with a button in what I've messed with so far. You also have an auto combo. And there seems to be a button dedicated to fireball.

It's **** gorgeous as well.

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

DBFZ seems to be very easy to get into. It seems like most characters are shoto style - every move is quarter circle with a button in what I've messed with so far. You also have an auto combo. And there seems to be a button dedicated to fireball.

It's **** gorgeous as well.

My brother has it just played it. He has it on that Xbox 4K Jesus the graphics are amazing. When goku goes super Saipan 3 and does his special my god it really is amazing

the only downer for me is the roster, the lack of charchters. No Zeno whis champs or raditz. Was expecting more chatchters.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

My brother has it just played it. He has it on that Xbox 4K Jesus the graphics are amazing. When goku goes super Saipan 3 and does his special my god it really is amazing

the only downer for me is the roster, the lack of charchters. No Zeno whis champs or raditz. Was expecting more chatchters.

Very little of that means much to me but it is pretty.

I believe the roster is going to grow with dlc over the next few months. There's no chance that this is the final group of characters.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The Mortal Kombat games are fairly awful IMO, far too easy and benefits pad mashing too much, gone are the days of having to memorise insane combinations to get fatalities working.

Disagree. The series has come on a long way, with 9 and X being genuinely good fighting games. There's still elements of the 'dial a combo' system that SF fans have disliked forever and a day, but that's been tweaked to effectively create a combo system using those combos, giving the game a lot of depth now. Top level play is impressive stuff.

Mashing is no different to any other game, you won't get very far with it.

Fatalities are still a gimmick, but the last game added brutalities back in, which had some of the old hidden elements of MK back in the day, by requiring you complete hidden requirements during the fight to achieve them - stuff like a winning a fight without jumping and finishing with a particular move.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

The draginball z game graphics specials fighting awesome....

then you get to the story my god is it terrible and repetitive.

then as I said the roster is pants so many chachters missing. Huge disappointment 

I've played some of the story earlier. I kinda like it. I don't give a damn about the actual story as I know nothing about Dragon Ball, but I kinda like the fight to rescue characters that then can be added to your team, whilst leveling up and gaining buffs, but also with risk/reward system in place.

My only complaints with the roster would be a problem of the series I guess. Lots of very similar characters. It'll get better, unfortunately by DLC, but you can always wait. 

Either way it plays well, very approachable, but with depth. And it's so beautiful. That'll do for a fighter.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I've played some of the story earlier. I kinda like it. I don't give a damn about the actual story as I know nothing about Dragon Ball, but I kinda like the fight to rescue characters that then can be added to your team, whilst leveling up and gaining buffs, but also with risk/reward system in place.

My only complaints with the roster would be a problem of the series I guess. Lots of very similar characters. It'll get better, unfortunately by DLC, but you can always wait. 

Either way it plays well, very approachable, but with depth. And it's so beautiful. That'll do for a fighter.

How far have you got into the story? It goes on and on. Just say covent juat different fighters

Haven't played a fighting game since Virtua Fighter 2 but just picked up SF V Arcade edition for £15.

Looking forward to seeing how things have changed.

Â