UFL (formerly XFL)

maqroll

This could be interesting. As long as they don't do the razzle dazzle stuff from the first time they tried this. If they manage to keep the game pure at it's core, the NFL could lose hundreds of thousands of fans. The NFL has become so politicized that it's driving a lot of (white) fans away. McMahon clearly panders to them with his "stand for the flag" mandate. The idea of a fan-consulted gridiron league is very appealing to probably a wide cross section of fans for a variety of reasons.

If nothing else, it could be/probably will be an absolute circus, especially with the current politics around American football.

• Like 1

I bet if fans actually have in influence on how he sets his league up (dubious), they'll want less officiating and more violence. They'll not only have a red white and blue love fest every Friday night, they'll turn it into a garish military worship spectacle.

Despite it's potential capacity for cultural mayhem, it will provide careers for talented athletes and coaches. I think there's room for the XFL at the moment and I don't think they'll flop as quickly this time.

Edited by maqroll

What they have going for them at this time is the "free" medium to broadcast. The internet is awesome for an upstart like this. (Unless their FCC fubar puts a wedge in it).

As a feeder league to keep free agents and undrafted players busy, I endorse it. To keep the knuckleheads at the NFL office on their toes, I endorse it.

As a Vince McMahon spectacle? :puke:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

I bet if fans actually have in influence on how he sets his league up (dubious), they'll want less officiating and more violence. They'll not only have a red white and blue love fest every Friday night, they'll turn it into a garish military worship spectacle.

Despite it's potential capacity for cultural mayhem, it will provide careers for talented athletes and coaches. I think there's room for the XFL at the moment and I don't think they'll flop as quickly this time.

Wasn't less rules and more violence how they pitched it last time? But in the end the difference in the rules were pretty subtle and a lot of rules got changed throughout the season.

It's an interesting idea, and Vince must think he's learnt enough from the first failure that he can be successful this time.

(On a side note, Vince suddenly looks really, really old)

• Like 1

I dont really watch NFL to be honest but I may be interested in this as my love for UK football is slowly fading as its not competitive anymore. Be good if they could implement a UK team in this league. That be certainly help brand it over here 

10 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Oi! I still have hopes for him :)

He would have been undrafted if not for his name . Elway doesn't seem to be able to draft  QB's so I think you're nailed on to get Cousins. They'll want to ride that defense with a ready to go guy IMO.

31 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

He would have been undrafted if not for his name . Elway doesn't seem to be able to draft  QB's so I think you're nailed on to get Cousins. They'll want to ride that defense with a ready to go guy IMO.

And picked earlier if not for the off field stuff right?

QB and o-line have been his disaster-picks.

XFL? Destined to fail. 

NFL is too big now to face any real competition. Every 'competitor' to the NFL in recent years has fallen flat on its face. 

I wonder what markets they will target? Existing ones or cities without a team (San Antonio, St Louis, Portland, Memphis, etc)

31 minutes ago, Tegis said:

And picked earlier if not for the off field stuff right?

QB and o-line have been his disaster-picks.

I'm not so sure . Teams will overlook stuff if the talent is there, especially at QB . The off the field stuff was nearly 3 years before the draft. I will admit to have never seen him play beyond brief highlight videos though . It would be a cool story to go from playing for a Community College to being a franchise QB but I don't think this will be a Brady type of pick.

Your window is too short to not go for broke now. 

• Like 1

They said one of the main reasons it failed was it seemed too "WWF" 

they need to keep the wrestling and football separate. Don't have someone like jerry the king lawlor commentating get a proper football commentary team in for this. I reckon Jonathan coachman will be one of the commentators. 

• Haha 1

They should keep the game the same but deregulate it. A Republican's dream league. :D

For starters, fewer penalties, fewer TV breaks and mandated hurry up offenses. Move the kickoff spot back to it's old position and no touch backs allowed, the returner must run the ball back.

• Haha 1

Â