Monster Hunter World

Chindie

Monster Hunter World is nearly with us.

The review embargo just ended and it's received pretty much universal praise.

The Monster Hunter series has been massive in Japan for years but never really managed to travel very well. It's a very idiosyncratic series, with lots going on and quite different to anything else really. Extremely varied weapons, an animation priority style fight system, reliance on co-op, a huge crafting system with food forming a significant element of it, and it's own take on a lot system... It never really caught on outside of some fans who adore it.

This time, however, things have been... amended... to attract a wide audience and it seems to have worked. Crafting has been streamlined, game world mechanics have been switched to create something closer to a true open world, joining quests made easier... And they slapped a load of 'pretty' all over it.

It looks great. It appears it is great.

I played Ultimate on the Wii U for a while solo and kinda liked it, but hit a wall and gave in... Might be time to jump back in.

This game has consumed me, I should be asleep right now but Monster Hunter sessions have a habit of endlessly carrying on. 

Monster Hunter World is a phenomenal blend of the series roots with great casual additions that make the game slightly more accessible. 

Put a few minutes in this morning.

I need to get my eye in again, I was struggling a little with the controls and still haven't really readjusted to how things are laid out and work.. but the itch is there. Looks great too.

Beginning to think the dual blades might not have been the best choice to go straight back into. Finding myself all too often flying past or through a monster such is very frustrating.

I've basically no experience with any other weapon though so it looks like I might have a while practicing... 

Took down the Pukei-Pukei last night after taking a few hours on expeditions farming the Jagras.

Nearly had it down first time but the bastard hit me with poison and whilst using the antidote was hit into some paralyzing wasps I think, so I ended up watching my health drop completely unable to do anything. Which was shit.

I then battered it.

2 hours ago, Fowlersrs said:

how many monsters are there in game?

Spoiler

There are 29 Large Monsters in the game and 17 Small Monsters.

More Monsters will be added as free DLC in the coming months. 

I think that might be me done with Monster Hunter. The game has no respect for your time.

I went in an expedition to complete the side quest things and get done armour upgrades. While doing it I thought I'd have a crack at the Anjanath. I've left it well alone till now. It didn't go well and fainted 4 times but I got it to the point it was clearly near done, it was damaged, running away a lot, more frantic attacks and the little heart monitor thing was nearly flat in the right corner. It has fled to one of the roost things near the North of the map. I found it and it ran again down the spiral pathway to the top. I followed it down, it's speed meaning midway I lost sight of the tail. And then it vanished. I was right behind it. And gone. No tracks, nothing to follow, gone. That was am hour of my time. Completely wasted.

Monster Hunter at the very least is going on a break.

@Chindie The monsters only leave the area while on Expeditions. You aren't intended to hunt large monsters in Expeditions for the very reason that they leave. There are plenty of other avenues to hunt, kill and catch monsters, it sucks that you were burned three times by that but Expeditions are for exploring, harvesting resources and nothing more. 

Edited by Daweii

Liking it but not really liking any of the weapons.

Buster sword has been the one that works best for me so far but even that has been taking a while to put monsters down.

Is there a way to target weak points? seems to be hit and miss which part you hit.

This game is "easy" to pick up, but incredibly hard to master.

Monster Hunter is a game about manually aiming and timing your attacks so that they strike optimally, this is a skill you will get better at over the 500+ hours it will take to see and do everything in this game.

Now there is a lock on though it only targets the head or body, the lock on can help in some fights, but it can also be a hindrance in others and you'll learn overtime when and where to use it.

As for taking a while to put down monsters that is Monster Hunter, this game is very methodical and taking your time often yields the best results. As you get better and as you upgrade weapons hunt times may decrease relative to overall player skill. 

Ultimately Monster Hunter is a game that gives you a set of tools and its up to you to learn over many many hours how to use them effectively.

****'s sake

Hunt a Pukei Pukei

The word removed runs away, and there's an Anjanath roaming around too. Ran out of time. little word removed takes the piss. Gonna try using the bow and spamming the heavy attack. 

This game just keeps on giving.

I am 85 hours in and I have probably only done 10% of the content. This is a game I will probably be playing until Far Cry 5 drops in 6 weeks from now, I am so invested in this game right now. 

Â