Assassin's Creed Origins

Chindie

Assassin's Creed Origins might be the gaming surprise of 2017.

I was done with Assassin's Creed. The formula was tired, the parkour system was still suffering with the same rubbish it had from the first game, the fight system nicked from the Arkham games became daft, the story was bobbins, each game became more and more a victim of stuff to do spewed over the map. Black Flag was a brief reprieve for the series with the boat mechanics, but Unity was a complete mess and nobody seemed to bother with Syndicate.

But a year off seems to have done the series good. Don't get me wrong its still Assassin's Creed, the story is still shit and there's still parkour and there's still a lot to do on the map... But it's fun. The changes are small but significant. They've binned the combat system and gone for an approachable Dark Souls lite style fight mechanic - enemies are more dangerous, you have a light and heavy attack, there some 'animation priority' going on, there's greater emphasis on blocking dodging and parrying. They have added a loot system. The parkour is simplified and, joy of joys, so far there's not been a single chase mission I can recall. There's even some Far Cry style hunting for crafting items to upgrade your kit, which remains one of the most bizarrely compulsive things in gaming. You have a completely daft eagle drone in essence to scout out areas and find things through walls with it's... well, it's eagle vision.

But most notably, the world is fantastic. It's set in Ptolemaic Egypt, at the time of the unrest between Cleopatra and her brother, the Pharaoh, so you get that ancient Egypt smashed into Roman Empire period with all the interest that brings. The attention to detail is such I believe they're adding in a museum mode, letting you wander through the game and investigating things to learn about Egypt at the time, the way people lived and so on. 

And it's bloody gorgeous. I mean... This is an arrestingly pretty game. The thing seems to be set up to make you stop and stare at things. It's made for a photo mode. You can just be heading through the desert and come over the top of a dune on your camel (which I've mentally named 'You Bastard', which was inevitable given my avatar here) and the light will be just so and the horizon filled with wonder and your eyes just devour it. The only things letting the side down are some iffy character models (the eyes... They're bizarrely cartoony, too white and a little too large, with slightly to exaggerated movements) and some details that move at a lower framerate then everything else - fabrics blowing in the wind like they're in a bad stop motion movie whilst everything else moves smoothly for instance.

I've not enjoyed an Assassin's Creed game like I have this for a very long time. Perhaps ever. It's really fun. I find myself clearing out forts completely even if I've done the objectives, because it's fun being an Egyptian cop roleplaying as Batman, with added spears and arrows through skulls and poisoned corpses.

I'd seriously recommend it.

• Like 1

I got the brought for me at Xmas.  Whilst there's no denying it's a very pretty game its just not captivated me yet.  I'll keep going cuz I've yet to put more than 6 hours into it yet. 

My GOTY in 2017.

After the wretched Syndicate I had very low expectations but it blew me away.

Put 100 hours into it by the time I completed it. I absolutely adored every minute.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just started this and even on base XB One S it’s a very very pretty game, just done a few of the missions and enjoying it so far although I may have accidentally skipped the intro video as it went from Ptolemy entering the village to immediately a year later and the first fight tutorial to a big cave and I had no idea what was going on?

• 2 weeks later...

I've just started the Ezio collection (2, Brotherhood and Revelations) and picked up Syndicate as it was cheap as chips. Gonna have me a AC marathon methinks. Been a while.

Debating picking up Black Flag and Unity too so as I've got the full house before hitting Origins.

I made the mistake of picking up the Ezio collection after finishing Origins.

Bad idea.

They really really show how clunky they are in comparison.

Edited by Designer1

On 09/04/2018 at 14:14, Dante_Lockhart said:

I've just started the Ezio collection (2, Brotherhood and Revelations) and picked up Syndicate as it was cheap as chips. Gonna have me a AC marathon methinks. Been a while.

Debating picking up Black Flag and Unity too so as I've got the full house before hitting Origins.

Just done the same since I got my Xbox a few weeks ago. Got them all bar BF and Syndicate which I’ll get with my birthday money in a few weeks. Playing origins first though and then Rogue next. Oddly looking forward to playing a fully patched up Unity too. 

It still amuses me that one of the examples of Unity being 'patched up' was them just trying to hide how awful the pop in was by making it look like 'Animus glitches'. It's either cynical as **** or genius.

Regardless though. Origins so successfully changed the formula that I don't think I could go back. Origins isn't a perfect game at all, but it blows it's predecessors out of the water.

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 23:44, Chindie said:

It still amuses me that one of the examples of Unity being 'patched up' was them just trying to hide how awful the pop in was by making it look like 'Animus glitches'. It's either cynical as **** or genius.

Regardless though. Origins so successfully changed the formula that I don't think I could go back. Origins isn't a perfect game at all, but it blows it's predecessors out of the water.

Genuinely intrigued here, how?

It's very much more of the same as far as I can tell, there's more of an emphasis on combat than before and the UI/Map is less cluttered which is nice but the game is unchanged from Unity in my eyes. I don't see this is as a bad thing I'm one of the few that really liked Unity, I just think the break from the yearly schedule has made people want to like it again.

8 hours ago, Rino8 said:

Genuinely intrigued here, how?

It's very much more of the same as far as I can tell, there's more of an emphasis on combat than before and the UI/Map is less cluttered which is nice but the game is unchanged from Unity in my eyes. I don't see this is as a bad thing I'm one of the few that really liked Unity, I just think the break from the yearly schedule has made people want to like it again.

The combat system is completely different, for the better, it has tweaked the parkour system to get rid of most of the irritations the older games had, it augments the character upgrade paths with some RPG lite stuff, a loot system and simple crafting giving you a character progression loop, it drops a lot of the crap gameplay systems from the earlier games...

It's a fairly different beast to the older games. A year off definitely helped, but there's more to the reasons people like it more. It's simply a better game.

• Like 1

Yeah Origins is/was a breath of fresh air for AC tbf. Unity is still good and is probably still the best looking game in the series but will be forever tainted by the horrendous launch.

Forgot how methodical I am in this game.

Every new area is cleared of side quests (Beat Up, Courier, Assassinations, Races etc...), View Points, Treasure (using the maps) and any other odd bits (Tombs) before carrying on with the story. Sod the feathers, they can wait.

I'm only in chapter 6 at the moment and my Villa Stronghold is at 75%. Upgraded everything, just the collectibles now to improve it.

• 1 month later...

Very pretty yes but I'm finding the main story seems to jump around quite a bit.  I do like the environment and the wide variety of NPC's. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's a bit dull and samey after a while.  Now they've toned the free running down a bit, it's just basically an openworlder, albeit without the variety of things to do and combat options of much better games like Witcher and MGS.  It's very, very glitchy as well.

Although I do enjoy the poison darts as a way of killing an entire garrison and everybody else in a big town.

I’m the opposite, still can’t stop playing it, up around 130 hours now. I’m not overly fussed about great storylines, just lobe travelling the world and killing baddies. What a world it is. 

Â