Xbox Game Pass

PieFacE

the game pass games leak has been confirmed

Xbox Game Pass grows again

keen to add deaths door and hitman to the list of great games that sadly arent for me but deaths door in particular is really big i think, its close to almost hades buzz around it and i imagine a lot of people are waiting for it

nobody saves the world is getting good enough reviews too (79 on metacritic) 

so good month i think

• Like 1

16 hours ago, phily85 said:

I dont really follow the industry, are they going to be able to keep the prices the same with gamepass .

with these huge outlays are they really going to be able to keep it at this value?

I think the prices will stay the same as Game Pass is in the growth phase of its life and you hinder growth with price increases. 

Also Microsoft are making $15 billion profit every quarter so they are happy to be supporting its growth financially. The end goal for Game Pass is to be the Netflix of gaming with 150+ million subs to play the latest and greatest games on day one. 

I think the price will stay the same, and I think Microsoft will continue to buy studios. I have a feeling that the Hitman devs, IO Interactive are on their radar and I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft scoop up another publisher, maybe Ubisoft, but Microsoft are going to continue to drive value while not raising the cost. If we see price increases it'll likely be when Game Pass is at 100+ million subs, which won't be for a while yet I imagine. Game Pass just hit 25 million subs which is impressive, it's faster growth than I think Microsoft were expecting, but unless that growth is exponential then it's gonna take a while to even hit 100 million. 

Ubisoft are attempting their own version of it, similar to EA play but with day 1 games 

Add to that the noise they're making about where the future of AC lies then maybe they don't have to buy them to see them appear on GP

A lot of games are seemingly going to go down the service route so the initial £60 to buy the game becomes irrelevant 

Still think for me personally the type of games that Sony are putting out are my favourite and they're going to be the most challenging to put on this kind of platform

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Definitely not. MS have plenty of money and can easily bully nintendo or Sony. 

I'll phrase it another way then - they won't turn down the money 

I think call of duty and especially war zone will stay multiplat, especially while the current gen is so far behind the PS4 user base, its too easy money for them to ignore 

50 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think call of duty and especially war zone will stay multiplat, especially while the current gen is so far behind the PS4 user base, its too easy money for them to ignore 

I thinK MS will ensure all releases go to XBox first then maybe a few months later appear on PS. Then in a the next few years the new releases will be Xbox exclusives. The writing is on the wall for Sony, they need to try to merge with Google Stadia or something like that to survive. 

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

I thinK MS will ensure all releases go to XBox first then maybe a few months later appear on PS. Then in a the next few years the new releases will be Xbox exclusives. The writing is on the wall for Sony, they need to try to merge with Google Stadia or something like that to survive. 

Or just keep doing what MS aren't... 

There's still nothing to compete with sonys single player narrative driven top quality AAA games 

I've not seen anything from them yet that will compete with god of war or horizon etc 

That said the news has taken $20bn off sonys share price, that's got to hurt! 

I think Warzone will stay multiplat but any future CoD games when the deal closes will be exclusive to Xbox. It's an easy way to get people to purchase a Game Pass subscription. Doesn't matter if it's for Xbox or PC or Mobile as far as Microsoft are concerned. 

Microsoft are playing a different game to Sony at this point. Going to be interesting to see how it unfolds. 

It really wouldn't shock me if Microsoft goes and purchases EA next. Taking FIFA away from Sony and sticking it on Game Pass is a bit of a killer. Plus owning Halo, COD, Apex and Battlefield would be pretty huge too. They'd dominate RPG, Sports and FPS games.

Edited by PieFacE

Microsoft will likely see any losses from making Call of Duty exclusive as marketing costs for Game Pass.

They did the same cost-benefit analysis with Bethesda, which is why all future Bethesda games once Ghostwire Tokyo launches will never be on PlayStation again. 

I mean Skyrim sold over 30 million units and while near enough 50% of those were on PC, there is a decent percentage of the remaining 50% that were on PlayStation, but Microsoft are banking on people buying Xbox's, or buying Game Pass for their PC to play Elder Scrolls 6.

That said Warzone is going nowhere. Microsoft have been very clear that games which already exist and are live on other platforms will not be pulled. ESO, Fallout 76, Warzone and anything else like that will remain on PlayStation. 

Where PlayStation is likely going to feel the hurt once the deal closes, and marketing deals end on certain games is the lack of mainline Call of Duty, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro The Dragon, Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2 etc. I think all of those will become exclusive. Microsoft are not paying $68.7 billion to keep the status quo. 

Ultimately I don't think much changes for Sony/PlayStation though. Yes, if Call of Duty goes exclusive which is a very real possibility, then they will have to cope with their revenue being quite a bit lower for a while, but Microsoft owning Bethesda and Activision Blizzard isn't enough to tank PlayStation. There is still Capcom, Square Enix, Ubisoft, EA, Sega, Take-Two and Bandai Namco to pick up the slack. There are plenty of AAA publishers left to keep PlayStation gamers satiated in between the big AAA blockbusters from PlayStation Studios. The concern ultimately is that Microsoft will go on to buy more AAA publishers, especially given how relaxed the FTC are with regards to mergers and acquisitions.

Edited by Daweii
  • Like 1

Interesting tweet. This to me reads like...

"Hey Sony. It is our desire for Call of Duty to remain on Playstation via Xbox Game Pass. How do you feel about allowing Game Pass on Playstation?"

If they say no then Microsoft can say

"We tried to keep Call of Duty on Playstation but they said no" type thing. 

• Like 1

I read it the same way @PieFacE 

Phil Spencer did a similar thing with the Bethesda deal. He was very open about honoring the Deathloop/Ghostwire timed exclusivity agreements, but the moment the acquisition closed he immediately cleared up the rest. If I recall it was something to the effect of, "All future games from Zenimax and Bethesda will only be playable on platforms with Game Pass". 

I feel he's doing the same thing here. He tried to use Elder Scrolls as leverage to get Game Pass on PlayStation, but Sony weren't taking the bait. This is him trying again with an even bigger franchise. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Daweii said:

I read it the same way @PieFacE 

Phil Spencer did a similar thing with the Bethesda deal. He was very open about honoring the Deathloop/Ghostwire timed exclusivity agreements, but the moment the acquisition closed he immediately cleared up the rest. If I recall it was something to the effect of, "All future games from Zenimax and Bethesda will only be playable on platforms with Game Pass". 

I feel he's doing the same thing here. He tried to use Elder Scrolls as leverage to get Game Pass on PlayStation, but Sony weren't taking the bait. This is him trying again with an even bigger franchise. 

Yeah, tis a smart move from him really. 

If game pass was on PlayStation, the only point in having an xbox would be backwards compatibility for physical copies of legacy xbox games, right? Playstation owners would be the big winners there. 

1 hour ago, hogso said:

If game pass was on PlayStation, the only point in having an xbox would be backwards compatibility for physical copies of legacy xbox games, right? Playstation owners would be the big winners there. 

Could be a way put of the pesky business of having to make consoles

1 hour ago, hogso said:

PlayStation gamers would be the big winners depending what Game Pass on PlayStation looks like.

Game Pass on PC, Xbox and Cloud has parity for the most part outside certain games that are Xbox only, or PC only. That said this parity is due to Xbox and Windows both being Microsoft platforms.

We don't know what Game Pass looks like on PlayStation. Do they get all Xbox games? Do they get them on a delay? Do they only get the likes of Call of Duty and Elder Scrolls 6, with the rest remaining Xbox exclusive? There are so many questions and I am sure Microsoft don't even know the answer to them currently. 

That said, I think Game Pass is being used to keep games exclusive. Sony are unlikely to let Game Pass onto PlayStation which means Microsoft's "desire" to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation will likely fall through as planned.

Game pass on PS5 would be ideal for me personally, that's all I've had for years now, not bought an physical xbox game in maybe 4 or 5 years, only use game pass on it

No money in hardware is there? Not sure on physical copies 

Would guess that with companies like EA still having big multiplat games selling physical copies were a long way away from a scenario where we just have an xbox series s and game pass on playstation, at the moment I'm sure it can't even get access to cloud

And if they really wanted to go play game pass on anything anywhere consoles aren't important then the answer and the killer would be a game pass smart TV app that accessed the cloud, that would be mental 

And don't forget they've already tried this with Nintendo, after ori was a success they tried to get game pass on the switch but Nintendo said no 

6 hours ago, hogso said:

I don't think Microsoft would care too much about that in all honesty. I don't think they make much (if anything) from their console hardware division. I think long term they would be quite happy for "Xbox" to just be an app/service that gives you access to a big catalogue of games. I'm sure they will always create gaming hardware but I think ultimately they are more interested in getting people subscribed to Game Pass. Doesn't matter if you're using the app on a smart TV, console, web browser, mobile phone or whatever. 

The "Netflix of gaming" line is very cliche but it's the direction Microsoft are heading in. 

Edited by PieFacE

• 1 month later...
Â