Your Top Live Music Experiences By Venue

maqroll

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I've just remembered some more gig experiences.

Also at the Mardi gras, That Petrol Emotion....The speaker stacks started to wobble, they weren't strapped up (elf and safety? What?) so me and my mate Jill jumped up and wedged ourselves between the top of the stacks and the roof for about an hour. Nuts :mrgreen:

That must have been a Big Decision.

• Haha 1

Just thinking back, the only other proper nightclub night that really stands out other than Leftfield last year was when I first saw Eat Static (when it was still a duo) at some club in Newquay, Cornwall that kinda doubled as a bowling alley? I was helping a mate of mine do some lights and we got to set up in the DJ booth as they were building a stage up on the floor in front so we ended up directly above and behind the acts basically. I watched a guy get flown in from somewhere and plug their laptop in for an hour or so and hit play, dancing around all over the place, keyboard out but not plugged in to anything. Lets just say I was critical of the lack of any sort of live performance!! Anyway my mate says wait for the next lot and out walk Eat Static with 2 of the biggest desks Ive ever seen and proceed to put on a live sampling masterclass that just blew me away. Hardly a gig that will resound in the annuls of history, I mean I even managed to accidentally bring all the house lights up in the middle of it all and everything :) But on a personal level it opened my mind to a world of musical possibilities that I'd basically been too up my own arse to appreciate before then.

It also meant meeting two of the Ozric Tentacles so I was made up. There should be a documentary somewhere called "when Marv met Merv and Joie" chronicling how we met, frolicked in the sun and rode off into the sunset on unicorns to create the UK's new supergroup but in reality they said "alright mate" and I said "yeah". Great days :)

• Like 1

Just stumbled upon a Factory Records which reminded me I was at both FAC 151 "Festival of the Tenth Summer" at GMEx (and the Hacienda aftershow) and FAC152 "From Manchester with Love" (strictly speaking FAC152 was a T-Shirt of the Gig)

Blagged the Guest List on the first and worked the other one

3 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

I think I'm probably remembering it wrong. Now you mention it, I do recall that story. It was university, so I was probably out of my mind on goofballs.

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I don't think Nirvana ever played there ?

Hole did and the rumour is  he proposed to Courtney Love there , but that may be more Urban legend  

I think there's a lot of legend about that particular night, not least the fact that there's tens of thousands of people who claim to have been there that night. 

I don't think Nirvana actually played there and that night was, to my knowledge, the only time Cobain was there. It is widely told that they were engaged that night but my recollection was that the chat on the night was that they were engaged in the days or weeks before.

Long time ago though so I can't remember if I was working there that night or just there as a punter. I do remember a good few nights upstairs though, enjoying the owner John's legendary feasts with a whole variety of bands. If only I'd appreciated how lucky I was to be there at the time.

Edited by choffer
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, choffer said:

I think there's a lot of legend about that particular night. Not least the fact that there's tens of thousands of people who claim to have been there that night. 

isn't that like the first Sex pistols gig that around 13 people went to , yet around 1 billion people now claim to have been there   :) 

Edited by tonyh29

12 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

isn't that like the first Sex pistols gig that around 13 people went to , yet around 1 billion people now claim to have been there   :) 

Thousands claim to have been to the legendary Leeds Poly gig on the 1976 Anarchy Tour (Pistols, Clash, Damned, Johnny Thunders). My claim to fame is that I had a ticket and didn't bother going. I bumped into a mate on the way there, and decided to go down the pub instead. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Thousands claim to have been to the legendary Leeds Poly gig on the 1976 Anarchy Tour (Pistols, Clash, Damned, Johnny Thunders). My claim to fame is that I had a ticket and didn't bother going. I bumped into a mate on the way there, and decided to go down the pub instead. 

Even more claim to have been at the first Lesser Free Trade Hall gig in Manchester but as most of the audience are now famous they’ve called out most of the Liars publically. Even the famous ones that claim to have been there and weren’t. Quite funny

38 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Oh yeah - I was there too. Probly.

I did once see a gig in a nite club, a disco, it was in Skegness in 1990 I think. Band of Holy Joy announced they were doing a seaside tour and one venue was a disco probably called Slaggers or some such. I was a fan of the band and odd as it was, it was a good gig. 

13 hours ago, Xann said:

My first job out of education. 5 years.

Doing what Xann if you dont mind me asking?

I met Merv again a couple of years ago. So I actually got to do the whole Merv? Marv! thing which was nice for me. I used to stick headphones on in my teens and try to drum along to Pungent Effulgent, I say try - the mans a demon! But genuinely one of my favourite drummers of all time and I told him as much. I also made him a cup of hot chocolate. Glad I did too. Too often people have stories of meeting their idols and the myth being shattered. He was really genuine and a pleasure to talk to.

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Never meet Dave Gedge

Interesting, never met him but seen the Weddoes many a time. He's not the most communicative frontman and comes across a bit gruff but I'm curious as to the off stage experience?

4 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Doing what Xann if you dont mind me asking?

Kiddy college allowed us to arrange our own work experience. Two of us decided against the local options and approached a record producer, a PA company and a record company in London.

The record company was Dovetail. They offered me a job at the end.

Proper cottage industry. We pressed the tunes, made the merch, coordinated tours and such in house.

I also purchased and arranged repairs to their kit.

Fun times :)

• Like 4

Â