Your Top Live Music Experiences By Venue

maqroll

1 hour ago, Xann said:

Same here, but those bands have their followers now. I'm actually approaching saturation with Doom, there's just so much of it!

I've got tix for King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard and Part Chimp coming up. You'd probably like both of those.

King Gizzard would have to play for 4 hours just to do last years releases - mental band

• Like 3

I don't really do tribute bands, been offered free tickets a few times from someone in a Blondie tribute band, but I can't see the point of it.

Got really close to going to see The Small Fakers recently, but again, when it came to the night, I couldn't quite be arsed.

Nearest I'd get would be Shonen Knife / Osaka Ramones. But vast majority of their set is their own stuff.

Picked up some tickets for two more Alabama 3 gigs coming up. There's a chance they could be their own tribute act. When I've seen the second of the gigs I'll have an entry for best gig in a castle.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I don't really do tribute bands, been offered free tickets a few times from someone in a Blondie tribute band, but I can't see the point of it.

Got really close to going to see The Small Fakers recently, but again, when it came to the night, I couldn't quite be arsed.

Nearest I'd get would be Shonen Knife / Osaka Ramones. But vast majority of their set is their own stuff.

Picked up some tickets for two more Alabama 3 gigs coming up. There's a chance they could be their own tribute act. When I've seen the second of the gigs I'll have an entry for best gig in a castle.

I’m off to see one next week , they are called The Pretenders ....

at least when you go to a tribute band they aren’t going to hit you with the words nobody wants to hear at a gig  “ here’s a song off our new album “.... the kinks one the other week I knew every song ... rather than The Happy Mondays gig I went to where I knew about 5 or 6 of them ( though tbf I may have just blanked the others out of mind since the 90’s ) 

35 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I’m off to see one next week , they are called The Pretenders ....

at least when you go to a tribute band they aren’t going to hit you with the words nobody wants to hear at a gig  “ here’s a song off our new album “.... the kinks one the other week I knew every song ... rather than The Happy Mondays gig I went to where I knew about 5 or 6 of them ( though tbf I may have just blanked the others out of mind since the 90’s ) 

But if I like a band I WANT to hear new songs. After all, the old songs were new once. 

It's why I can't be bothered with the likes of The Who and The Stones anymore - their shows are just the hits, and I'm bored with them, I've heard them a squillion times. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

But if I like a band I WANT to hear new songs. After all, the old songs were new once. 

It's why I can't be bothered with the likes of The Who and The Stones anymore - their shows are just the hits, and I'm bored with them, I've heard them a squillion times. 

I get what you are saying but I’m not sure I’d want to hear a new stones record (for example) ... they probably haven’t written a decent tune since under cover of the night ( I’ll confess I’m not a fan so I may be doing a disservice to the 30+ years since that song was released)

but i do agree with boredom line , I probably saw Big Country live about 20 times and fields of fire live I’m sorta a bit cold to now , commercially for them great  record but they’ve got far far better stuff in their armoury and I’d rather hear some B sides live 

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

I get what you are saying but I’m not sure I’d want to hear a new stones record (for example) ... they probably haven’t written a decent tune since under cover of the night ( I’ll confess I’m not a fan so I may be doing a disservice to the 30+ years since that song was released)

They barely try. They just keep putting out live albums of the same old. 

It's why I listen more to newer bands (admittedly usually ones that play within older genre styles). Israel Nash does the countryfied Stones style better than they do, for example (without actually being a tribute act). He also does good stuff in a Neil Young style.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

They barely try. They just keep putting out live albums of the same old. 

It's why I listen more to newer bands (admittedly usually ones that play within older genre styles). Israel Nash does the countryfied Stones style better than they do, for example (without actually being a tribute act). He also does good stuff in a Neil Young style.

Me like , might need to check him out 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Me like , might need to check him out 

His first couple of albums were put out under the name 'Israel Nash Gripka', but he's now dropped the 'Gripka' bit. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Pearl Jam - Stadio Olympico - 26/06/2018 just jumped to the top of the very short list of Stadium gigs for me.

A stadium gig I genuinely enjoyed rather than begrudgingly box ticking by default.

Genuinely Maqroll I left the gig thinking of your thread here :)

Don't know how I missed this thread before.   Here are mine.

1. Bar - Jay McShann and Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson, Grand Emporium, Kansas City, ~1984

2. Nightclub - Buddy Guy and Junior Wells, Red Creek Inn Rochester, NY 1983.  My first live exposure to an authentic blues act.  Unbelievable.  I still remember Buddy saying halfway in, "Will somebody bring me a cognac?  I'm not playing another damn note until someone brings me a cognac!"  Shortly thereafter, he switched out his patch cord to a coiled up one about 100 ft long and started walking through the crowd during an extended, blistering solo.  He ended up outside, where it was -10 degrees F, leaning against the entry door and jamming with his eyes closed.  Later saw Willie Dixon and a then unknown Robert Cray at the same venue.  Both put a huge smile on my face.

3. Outdoor - Talking Heads, Saratoga Performing Arts Center, 1983.

4. Arena - Pink Floyd, Nassau County Coliseum 1980

5. Stadium - Dylan and the Dead, Eugene, OR 1987

6. Concert Hall - Oscar Peterson, Eastman Theater, 1983

7. University/college - The English Beat (opening act, REM), University of Rochester, 1983

• Like 1

5 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Don't know how I missed this thread before.   Here are mine.

1. Bar - Jay McShann and Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson, Grand Emporium, Kansas City, ~1984

2. Nightclub - Buddy Guy and Junior Wells, Red Creek Inn Rochester, NY 1983.  My first live exposure to an authentic blues act.  Unbelievable.  I still remember Buddy saying halfway in, "Will somebody bring me a cognac?  I'm not playing another damn note until someone brings me a cognac!"  Shortly thereafter, he switched out his patch cord to a coiled up one about 100 ft long and started walking through the crowd during an extended, blistering solo.  He ended up outside, where it was -10 degrees F, leaning against the entry door and jamming with his eyes closed.  Later saw Willie Dixon and a then unknown Robert Cray at the same venue.  Both put a huge smile on my face.

3. Outdoor - Talking Heads, Saratoga Performing Arts Center, 1983.

4. Arena - Pink Floyd, Nassau County Coliseum 1980

5. Stadium - Dylan and the Dead, Eugene, OR 1987

6. Concert Hall - Oscar Peterson, Eastman Theater, 1983

7. University/college - The English Beat (opening act, REM), University of Rochester, 1983

Well that lot's got me dripping with envy, you lucky bastard. 

• Like 1

Birmingham Odeon  was a cracking venue, a lot of rock bands played there late 70’s/early 80’s. One gig that sticks out was Sabbath and Van Halen were the support act

Happy days

Edited by Robbie09
  • Like 1

The folk club set up upstairs in the club a walk from my house was pretty good.

One guy, a singer songwriter folksy guitar player climbed on a table for the big finish of his set. Then he did a big guitar strumming leap.

But as he was already stood on a table he put his head through the ceiling and we all got covered in debris.

Brilliant. Literally brought the house down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 01/07/2018 at 01:47, mjmooney said:

Well that lot's got me dripping with envy, you lucky bastard. 

There's a couple on your list that would cause me to consider you a lucky bastard, as well.   I recall @Rugeley Villa introduced me to the phrase "jammy sod" on another thread, which I believe would apply here, no?

• Like 1

The radio in the kitchen at work just gave me a flashback to this. I wouldn't say it was a good club but back in the 90's it was the place to be (if you were unfortunate enough to live in Newport).

LrU7aVF.jpg

On 01/07/2018 at 04:01, il_serpente said:

Oscar Peterson

Heard him on tape as a kid and it's what made me learn piano.

On a list with Floyd, Talking Heads and The Beat that still makes me the most envious!

• Like 1

On 03/07/2018 at 14:16, choffer said:

The radio in the kitchen at work just gave me a flashback to this. I wouldn't say it was a good club but back in the 90's it was the place to be (if you were unfortunate enough to live in Newport).

LrU7aVF.jpg

That is absolutely fantastic. £1 a pint. 

• Like 1

Â