6. Concert Hall - Big Big Train, King's Place, London, 2015

7. University/college - Jeff Beck, Leeds University, 1974 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

1. Bar -  Delta Bombers at Las Vegas Sand Dollar 2011

2. Nightclub - Delgados/Six by seven at Wolverhampton Varsity 1998

3. Outdoor - The Senseless Things at Glastonbury Festival 1992

4. Arena - Eric Church at Glasgow Clyde Auditorium 2016

5. Stadium - Never seen a band at a stadium that I can remember.

6. Concert Hall - Pixies at Newcastle Mayfair 1990

7. University/college - Wedding Present/Cud at Coventry Poly 1989

• Like 1

Nightclub - Capdown @ Satan's Hollow, Manchester, Oct 2011

A fire at the original venue, I believe it was, had caused the Liverpool leg of this Capdown reunion tour to be cancelled, and so a last minute rearrangement had the gig take place at this suspiciously named venue, which I wasn't familiar with at all. 

Upon arriving, I descended into what is effectively a large cellar, with the stage area in the centre, marvelling at the decor - flames on the walls, chains and what not hanging hither and dither, and a giant Satan statue thing presiding over the venue at one end of the room. It was as though I had walked down into Hell itself. 

The support kicked things off quickly, and were decent enough, with Capdown themselves putting down a cracking set. It was the last time I saw them and an evening I won't soon forget, mostly thanks to the venue. 

1 minute ago, hogso said:

Nightclub - Capdown @ Satan's Hollow, Manchester, Oct 2011

A fire at the original venue, I believe it was, had caused the Liverpool leg of this Capdown reunion tour to be cancelled, and so a last minute rearrangement had the gig take place at this suspiciously named venue, which I wasn't familiar with at all. 

Upon arriving, I descended into what is effectively a large cellar, with the stage area in the centre, marvelling at the decor - flames on the walls, chains and what not hanging hither and dither, and a giant Satan statue thing presiding over the venue at one end of the room. It was as though I had walked down into Hell itself. 

The support kicked things off quickly, and were decent enough, with Capdown themselves putting down a cracking set. It was the last time I saw them and an evening I won't soon forget, mostly thanks to the venue. 

I have seen Capdown quite a lot, usually at festivals and I ask myself why every single time. I have liked similar bands and on paper I should love them, but time and time again I was disappointed at the end.

7 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I have seen Capdown quite a lot, usually at festivals and I ask myself why every single time. I have liked similar bands and on paper I should love them, but time and time again I was disappointed at the end.

Disappointed in the live performance, or disappointed with the music in general? 

I started listening to them when I was 14 during my penultimate year at school, around the time the second album came out. At a time others were listening to nu school metal or horrific pop punk, Capdown were so fresh and different, I immediately fell in love. 

I always thought No Comply, Lightyear, and Link 80 did the 'Skacore' thing better, but Capdown will always have a very special place in my music library. 

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, hogso said:

Disappointed in the live performance, or disappointed with the music in general? 

I started listening to them when I was 14 during my penultimate year at school, around the time the second album came out. At a time others were listening to nu school metal or horrific pop punk, Capdown were so fresh and different, I immediately fell in love. 

I always thought No Comply, Lightyear, and Link 80 did the 'Skacore' thing better, but Capdown will always have a very special place in my music library. 

They just have so much energy but the songs left me cold, Lightyear never did and even someone like Random Hand, who I still love, never did. On paper I should love them, and a lot of my friends do, its me, not them, is the short answer.

1. Bar - Bad Manners played at a local pub, in Darlo, when I was at college. Absolutely bouncing, jumping about like a loon for the full gig. So much fun.

2. Nightclub - I'm going to say The Fall at Brudenell Social Club. I know they're Marmite to a lot of people, but they were amazing that night.

3. Outdoor - Pixies at T in the Park in Scotland. Their first European festival appearance, after reforming. Was pretty special.  

4. Arena - Same as @mjmooney. Neil Young at Leeds Arena. A 12 hour long version of Down by the River being the best single performance of a single song I think I've ever seen.

5. Stadium - I can't recall ever doing a stadium gig. Not really my bag.

6. Concert Hall - Brian Wilson at The Sage, Gateshead. A night of sheer joy.

7. Academy / Smaller Concert Hall - The Dirty Three at The Sage 2. My man crush on Warren Ellis intensified by ten fold.

• Like 2

Just now, mjmooney said:

I counted the Brudenell as a bar, rather than a nightclub. 

Nice that I unknowingly shared two of my gigs with fellow VTers. 

Yeah, I was a bit unsure how to classify it. I figured it was more of a club than a bar, so used it in the nightclub category.

1. Bar -  guess it would be a  local covers band called Yellow House  , The Pelican 2017

2. Nightclub - The Skids  - Forum , Belfast 2017 - 6 of us went over to Belfast to see them , that 4 of them had never heard of them before and managed to be blown away by them is testimony to how good they sounded

3. Outdoor - James ( supported by Cast , Space, The Farm , Inspiral Carpets and Echo & the Bunnymen )  - Quex Park 2012 -  managed to sing down Tim Booths microphone at one point as we were right down the front and we kinda pulled him into the crowd with us ( he always does it so in a nice way , not in a ruin it for everyone else way )

4. Arena - The Cure , Wembley Area 2016 - staggeringly good show from them the other year , not sure I'll ever see a better gig tbh

5. Stadium - U2 , Wembley Stadium , 1987 - they were more about the music then rather than the visuals (and the preaching)

6. Concert Hall - Vivaldi 4 seasons - Venice 2001 - can't remember who was performing it but to see it in Vivaldi's home town was quite special

7. University/college - Big Country  - Royal Holloway College 1999 ...  my only gig in a uni tbf   , thye shot part of a music video at that gig and I can just about see myself in it  :) 

Edited by tonyh29

NIA Oasis 2002

Milton Keynes Bowl Oasis 2005

Heaton Park Oasis 2009

Carling Academy Ian Brown 2009 (ish)

Carling Academy Shed 7 2010 ish

NEC Noel Gallaghers High Flying Birds 2016

I've been to a Blink 182 concert but they were on the brink of breaking up and Travis didn't do a drum solo, so Mark tried to "funny" one out and I hated it. That was at the NEC. 

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

1. Bar

2. Nightclub

3. Outdoor

4. Arena

5. Stadium

Before reading the next post I thought you meant put those in order from favourite to least favourite.

In case you’re wondering, I was going to say Bar.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

1. Bar

2. Nightclub

3. Outdoor

4. Arena

5. Stadium

Hmm.

1.  Bristol pub - unfortunately can't remember the name - Gogol Bordello 2006/7. Intimate, electric atmosphere, amazing experience.

2.  Not naming a specific event but a venue - Full Moon Club in Cardiff. It's really just a bar, but as it has Club in the title I'm claiming it.

3. First time I went to Reading Festival as a naive youngster was mindblowing, Iron Maiden - again in the years 2005-7 was a total blast. More recently, Green Man Festival 2014 and Neutral Milk Hotel

4. The Prodigy - Cardiff Indoor Arena - or whatever the hell sponsor is on it now - again 2005-2007 I can't remember exactly when, during University days I think. I don[t even really listen to the prodigy myself but the vibe etc was so energetic.

5. Stadium - pass, never done that.

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

1. Bar

2. Nightclub

3. Outdoor

4. Arena

5. Stadium

Bar - Probably The Antlers in the Manchester Academy Bar (with @bickster)

Nightclub - Arcade Fire, Manchester Apollo

Outdoor - Radiohead/Sigur Ros/Editors in Belgium a decade! ago, (also with Bicks)

Arena - AC/DC NEC ( I don't really like Arena gigs - soulless, mostly)

Stadium - Pink Floyd and Radiohead (at different times) ( I don't really like Stadium gigs, either, but a few have been good)

• Like 1

Â