Lessons in car buying

Tayls

11 hours ago, bickster said:

Been like that for ages, the wriggle room is in the financing deals these days, it's where they make their money

I'd presumed that was the case but to not budge an inch was quite a surprise. I was looking for £500 in the deal on a car they had up for £24k. Looks like I have to readjust my expectations.

15 minutes ago, choffer said:

I'd presumed that was the case but to not budge an inch was quite a surprise. I was looking for £500 in the deal on a car they had up for £24k. Looks like I have to readjust my expectations.

Have you tried getting some quotes on carwow? Never got a car from one of their quotes just used it for information purposes, but they give a separate cash and finance quote. That said depending on make model it might be a simiilar outcome.

• 5 years later...
7 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Need to buy a new car…

Any thoughts about a second hand 3 year old Tesla model 3?

Tesla a good electric car?

Secondhand EV’s ok?

Buy a Jaguar I-Pace, thank me later.

Just now, ender4 said:

Why? 

Anyway, a little too expensive, the cheapest  ones on Autotrader are £25k for a 4 year old one.

Everyone I know who has had one raves about them. 

There’s some deals about for brand new Tesla’s I’ve seen on hot uk deals recently.

Tesla Model Y £47k

Brand new Tesla Model Y Long Range from existing new inventory 

WLTP Range 331 miles

135mph - Top Speed0-60 mph - 4.8sec

All wheel drive

Dual motor

Tesla Model 3 £38k

Key Features
Pearl White Paint

Up to 305 mile range
18’’ Aero Wheels
All Black Partial Premium Interior
Autopilot
Front and Rear Heated Seats
30-Day Premium Connectivity Trial

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Thanks but a little too expensive for me.  Looking to spend £22-24k max on a 3 year old car. 

Just an option really, although more expensive on paper you have to consider if buying a 3 year old car is there any warranty? How much will it be worth in another 2-4 years down the line when you want to sell it etc.

5 hours ago, ender4 said:

Need to buy a new car…

Any thoughts about a second hand 3 year old Tesla model 3?

Tesla a good electric car?

Secondhand EV’s ok?

Tesla batteries seem bullet proof. 

There are some Tesla's done a couple hundred thousand miles and batteries are still good. 

One of the big surprises about EV's is that everyone expected the batteries to degrade much more than they have done. 

There is a YouTube channel called EV Man and he recently posted a video he did of a long journey in this 3 year old Tesla and measured. The battery performance and worked out it was almost zero degradation after 3 years. 

If you're thinking of having and EV you definitely need to subscribe to EV Man and Fully Charged youtube channels. You will pick up a hell of a lot. 

I seem to remember Fully Charged did a show about second hand EV's not that long ago as well. 

• Thanks 1

The other thing is EV's are generally much more reliable and need less maintenance. 

Think about a 3 year old plus combustion engine car. 

You will probably be worried about The Exhaust, timing belt, oil and air filter, dozens of other things. 

EV? Are the break pads OK? 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The other thing is EV's are generally much more reliable and need less maintenance. 

Think about a 3 year old plus combustion engine car. 

You will probably be worried about The Exhaust, timing belt, oil and air filter, dozens of other things. 

EV? Are the break pads OK? 

I’ve learned a lot about EV’s recently in a project Im working in. They are far more complicated than you’d imagine. Things like the complex cooling systems of the batteries. Then the EDU (electric drive units) which there will be several. Then all the usual stuff like chassis, suspension, steering etc.

Lots of stuff to go wrong and that needs to be checked. 

Â