Lessons in car buying

Tayls

4 hours ago, Genie said:

I think we all have a duty of care to a fellow Villan when he is thinking of spending £18,000 on a new Suzuki :lol: 

OI! Super Sexy Suzuki I think you mean to say... such a nice car. Shiny and everything. 

4 hours ago, Tayls said:

OI! Super Sexy Suzuki I think you mean to say... such a nice car. Shiny and everything. 

If you absolutely must buy a new Suzuki then at least go nearly new, get a mint 1 year old so at least someone else has been stung for that first year of depreciation.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I love threads like these.

Poor guy asks for advice on negotiating a car deal and the thread is full of people g telling him not to do it :)

Thank goodness for @darrenm

If he'd come on here saying he wanted advice on how best to get his face tattooed to make him look like a lizard, we'd try and talk him out of that too 

And that is significantly less daft than chucking £18k at a new Suzuki! 

@Tayls

A quick look in the net and you can lease one for £180 per month and £1,100 upfront 

It'll Cost you just over £7.5k in 3 years, then chuck it back, get another new one 

no balloons, no trade ins, no dealing with sweaty dealer salesman trying to flog you gap insurance and all the rest. 

Now thats a good deal. 

2 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

@Tayls

A quick look in the net and you can lease one for £180 per month and £1,100 upfront 

It'll Cost you just over £7.5k in 3 years, then chuck it back, get another new one 

no balloons, no trade ins, no dealing with sweaty dealer salesman trying to flog you gap insurance and all the rest. 

Now thats a good deal. 

We’re getting the 4WD for £230 per month, trading in an 8yr old Swift which is our deposit. £8000 left to pay at the end, or walk away etc etc. 

So £2k deposit + 41 x £230 + £8k balloon?

If you don't pay the balloon it will cost you £11,430 to effectively lease it for 41 months and if you buy it it'll be £19,430 all in to own it.

That's not bad if you dont pay the balloon. Are they giving you a guaranteed future value or are you taking the risk? Walking away is ok, but then your stumped for a dipper if you want to switch brands 

You can lease the all grip models for about the same monthly cost and £1350 down over 48 months, so £12,390 in total, but you get an extra 7 months for that, so the deal your getting isn't bad. 

Buying a car is much like making love to a beautiful woman. You find the model you like, eye up the bodywork, take her for a test drive, feel what she's like on the interior. If you like her, you get out your wallet and pay the slimy man the big bucks to take her home. 

• Like 1

0% interest finance deals on heavily discounted new cars can work out really well. My Toyota was £23k discounted to £18k £250 a month with £8k balloon left me about £5k equity at the end as a deposit. 

I've now just leased an Ateca for £260 a month on a 2 year deal but the car is worth £30k (and isn't as good as the Toyota) and I won't be left with any equity so will be left with nothing for a deposit in 2 years.

New cars are always a drain on finances but it's what you pay for knowing no-one has messed with it before, having plenty of comeback with the dealer over any problems, and having less chance of being stuck on the side of a motorway. I'll probably either go back to bangernomics or hire an EV depending on the deals in 18 months.

VAG are way overrated.

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

That would never be a Suzuki though :mrgreen:

You know nothing about cars! I bet you drive a Panda... or wait wait, a Cinquecento! :lol: and you have different coloured doors! Hahaha

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

You know nothing about cars! I bet you drive a Panda... or wait wait, a Cinquecento! :lol: and you have different coloured doors! Hahaha

haha, I rent my cars by the week. If its shite I hand it back, If it breaks down they give me another one

1 minute ago, bickster said:

haha, I rent my cars by the week. If its shite I hand it back, If it breaks down they give me another one

<_< - what do you do?!

Edited by Tayls

Â