Carew & Mellberg vs sha

Kingman

2 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I have to say, we’d be pissing ourselves and branding them small time if small Heath did something similar and paraded Geoff horsefield and stern John ahead of a derby game (both had good records against us in that bad period of results)

both Carew and Mellberg were great players but shouldn’t be defined by their derby performances. They were both better than that. 

I wwouldnt at all. I think people just think most things "are small time" and being overly negative. I for one think this is a great idea get the fans roaring and a chance to see two recent heroes and welcome them home.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I wwouldnt at all. I think people just think most things "are small time" and being overly negative. I for one think this is a great idea get the fans roaring and a chance to see two recent heroes and welcome them home.

Could also be their team talk done for them....

it says a lot that it ‘will get the crowd roaring’. It’s the derby, surely the crowd would already be roaring regardless! 

Love both players but this idea is not for me. 

11 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I have to say, we’d be pissing ourselves and branding them small time if small Heath did something similar and paraded Geoff horsefield and stern John ahead of a derby game (both had good records against us in that bad period of results)

both Carew and Mellberg were great players but shouldn’t be defined by their derby performances. They were both better than that. 

I don't think it is anything aimed at Small Heath or small time by us.

Just the occasion would be a good one to have Mellberg and Carew present.

It adds a little bit more atmosphere to the game giving the connection to us and the Derby etc. This would have the 12th man roaring even before kick off. What an atmosphere that would be on top of the atmosphere there already is surrounding the game itself!

Make it happen!

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Cause any other fixture is kind of irrelevant for the 2 players. Atleast they have played in the Derby.

I don't see the problem and why it's causing you so much unrest

causing me unrest?????

Maybe you've got the hump because someone isn't partisan to your liking? (easy to take things out of context and blow them out of proportion isn't it?)

I just think if the shoe were on the other foot, we'd be ripping into small heath for it. 

Also, its a little poor to suggest that Mellberg and Carew would be irrelevant for any other fixture...

There's no need for this, we're playing well and the crowd are behind the team. 

Edited by theboyangel

16 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Could also be their team talk done for them....

it says a lot that it ‘will get the crowd roaring’. It’s the derby, surely the crowd would already be roaring regardless! 

Love both players but this idea is not for me. 

What team talk ? That we have two villa greats being asked to attend and enjoy the game with fans? I honestly don't care what Cotterill says to them, if we play well we beat them simple as that we are better than that we know that so it's done to Bruce to ensure we beat are prepared. I am sure our players won't forget the abuse they received at the sty with those stupid flappers.

the crowd will be roaring we know this but it would be extra special for us. I don't see him this is embarrassing or small time. It really isn't at all. This isn't aimed at you directly but it seems that whenever a idea is pitched some will say small time or it's something a rival would do.

i bet some were even saying it was small time at the protests for the year we went down and look at how successful that was?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

causing me unrest?????

Maybe you've got the hump because someone isn't partisan to your liking? (easy to take things out of context and blow them out of proportion isn't it?)

I just think if the shoe were on the other foot, we'd be ripping into small heath for it. 

Also, its a little poor to suggest that Mellberg and Carew would be irrelevant for any other fixture...

There's no need for this, we're playing well and the crowd are behind the team. 

To be honest mate, I don't get no hump cause I couldn't give 2 f**ks if people like what I post on here or not. It's not fame academy for me really.

For the record the original idea is not from me but I agree it is a very good one.

I disagree in that It is not poor to suggest they are not welcome to another fixture.. they can have season tickets for all I care, but them present at say Villa v Burton would not have the same zip to it as it would the Derby match v Birmingham.

Where you not following us during the MO'N era or something? Honest question.

I think, as has been explained above better than I can, dragging two ex players out and parading them around the pitch before the derby would be embarrassing. I wouldn't want to give them, i.e. the scum, the satisfaction. I don't think it's the right time to be looking backwards, nor do I think it will be right to denegrate their contribution in such a way. 

EDITED BY NV - SOME OTHER POSTS WERE DELETED SO THIS PART DIDN'T FOLLOW THE TOPIC ANY LONGER.  CHEERS.

I have to back Dave on this one.

Carew and Olof would be welcome at any fixture, regardless if it was against our scummy bin bothering rivals or not, as would be the same for a lot of our players from the past. It would be giving the knuckle dragging imbeciles too much credence, when they are merely just an ineffective speed bump on our road to glory. Carew, Mellberg, or any of our former stars are far too worthy to be trotted out in front of the toilet diners.

Another thought is, what if this proves to be a banana skin? That would be a bummer of an anti climax.

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think, as has been explained above better than I can, dragging two ex players out and parading them around the pitch before the derby would be embarrassing. I wouldn't want to give them, i.e. the scum, the satisfaction. I don't think it's the right time to be looking backwards, nor do I think it will be right to denegrate their contribution in such a way. 

Fair enough. I completely disagree with you however i can understand why you feel that way.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think to parade ex players there should be an occasion. Like an anniversary of a cup win or something. Not just a Derby. Doesn't really make sense. 

It is not really a parade as such, but correct me if I'm wrong but in recent years we have had the '82 being paraded before kick off, we've had God paraded during a midweek game, Ron Saunders too I believe. Where they all embarrassing as well then?

It's no real biggy just cause it's Birmingham etc. I would see some of the points for the against folk here in that if we where inviting the whole team that beat them 5-1 that day to come and parade this victory as a past cup glory etc I would definately say no.

It is nothing more than asking 2 legends of modern times to do what other past legends have done and pay a quick visit in the centre circle, a quick wave and absorb the applause.. and there we go.

What difference would it make in this occasion to have these 2 cult legends make a guest appearance. Not a parade or a walk round the pitch but a simple cdntre circle hello.. fist pump to the masses and off we go.. game on and the roar that will be happening at that moment in time will be special for those in attendance.

I think it would work and not a big deal really?

18 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It is not really a parade as such, but correct me if I'm wrong but in recent years we have had the '82 being paraded before kick off, we've had God paraded during a midweek game, Ron Saunders too I believe. Where they all embarrassing as well then?

It's no real biggy just cause it's Birmingham etc. I would see some of the points for the against folk here in that if we where inviting the whole team that beat them 5-1 that day to come and parade this victory as a past cup glory etc I would definately say no.

It is nothing more than asking 2 legends of modern times to do what other past legends have done and pay a quick visit in the centre circle, a quick wave and absorb the applause.. and there we go.

What difference would it make in this occasion to have these 2 cult legends make a guest appearance. Not a parade or a walk round the pitch but a simple cdntre circle hello.. fist pump to the masses and off we go.. game on and the roar that will be happening at that moment in time will be special for those in attendance.

I think it would work and not a big deal really?

Why just Carew and Mellberg? Where's Friedals invite? What about Laurson? Vassell scored a few in derbies? Where's his invite? 

Dwight Yorke? It starts to become quite subjective, 

Where does it end? 

52 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why just Carew and Mellberg? Where's Friedals invite? What about Laurson? Vassell scored a few in derbies? Where's his invite? 

Dwight Yorke? It starts to become quite subjective, 

Where does it end? 

It don't hsve to end I am sure we could fit them all in over time most definately if the club felt the need to make it a constant feature? 

Savo Milosevic & Stan Collymore.. now that would be funny to see.  

20 hours ago, AJ said:

I have to back Dave on this one.

Carew and Olof would be welcome at any fixture, regardless if it was against our scummy bin bothering rivals or not, as would be the same for a lot of our players from the past. It would be giving the knuckle dragging imbeciles too much credence, when they are merely just an ineffective speed bump on our road to glory. Carew, Mellberg, or any of our former stars are far too worthy to be trotted out in front of the toilet diners.

Another thought is, what if this proves to be a banana skin? That would be a bummer of an anti climax.

"Ineffective speed bump on our road to glory" made me lol.

Â