Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Barnsley

limpid

Match Polls  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/01/18 at 15:00

2 hours ago, perchman said:

I loved the way 5 Barnsley defenders absolutely bricked it when Jack had the ball at his feet in their 18 yrd box....totally backed off of him which gave him the opportunity to make the assist.

Proper fear in their eyes that he'd sell them a booby any second.

This is another reason Jack is great as it opens up space for others - such as Hogan to run into or Snoddy to cross from. Bingo!

6 hours ago, Daniel said:

I was also celebrating my birthday today. Brilliant first half performance. Second half was a bit shaky, but very pleased with the win. Keep this up and we will have no problems catching second spot at least.

I think most villa fans were celebrating today.  You and sidcow make us all so happy!

3 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

Jack Grealish looked majestic today. All calf muscles. Pulled down socks. High up shorts. Barnet flowing in the wind. Oof suit me sir. 

It's what happens when you don't skip leg day.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

Thought for the first 55mins that’s the best I’ve seen a villa team play for a long long time. The passing. Movement. Technical execution. Vision. Decision making. Attitude. Character. All superb. 

Jack Grealish looked majestic today. All calf muscles. Pulled down socks. High up shorts. Barnet flowing in the wind. Oof suit me sir. 

Hahaha! :D Apart from the suit you guys that also reminds me of another Fast Show character: Ron Manager ("Three and in. Jumpers for goalposts. One boy's gone home for his tea... Marvellous. Isn't it?") 

13 hours ago, perchman said:

I loved the way 5 Barnsley defenders absolutely bricked it when Jack had the ball at his feet in their 18 yrd box....totally backed off of him which gave him the opportunity to make the assist.

Proper fear in their eyes that he'd sell them a booby any second.

Leroy Sane copied him for his Man city assist. :)

• Like 1

Today it's a different commentator for the AVFC highlights, and I like his commentary, with enthusiasm and some excitement when we score! He raises the volume and tone of his voice when we score, that's the way! :) When we win, those highlights are one of the highlights of my week and, in my opinion, the commentary for our goals should correspond with our feeling at those moments (especially as it's our OS in-house highlights).

I took my dad to this game (he's the Man Utd/Blue nose) on his request actually.. The old softy. 

He really enjoyed it. 

Said Thor, Albert and Conor were his picks for Man of the Match.

Said Terry and Chester looked like a very good central partnership (although they both made mistakes) and he liked the look of Hogan, who was a "assassin" :lol: 

Not that any of you would particularly care what my dad said, but he's my hero so **** you. 

My thoughts I absolutely called their goal.  I said "If they don't want to get battered 5 or 6 nil, they have to score from this corner" and they did :lol:  If only I was a betting man, I'd have stuck a tenner on at that moment, no problem.  I thought all our success came from Albert, Connor and Jack in the 1st half.  Our left hand side was absolutely rampant.  Snodgrass got involved in some good play too.  But Barnsley didn't have an answer for our 3 forwards (not including Hogan) until the 2nd half.  They played a 5-3-2 but left their wing backs completely exposed to doubling up, and boy did we make them pay.  It absolutely wouldn't have been unfair to have gone in at half time 5 or 6-1 up.  Am unbelievable half of football.  Thoroughly enjoyed it. 

2nd half was less spectacular, but we worked hard and we still went close 2 or 3 times (Hogan against the post, Jack not being able to get a shot off etc).  

Barnsley came out like they actually had a game plan, and they SHOULD have scored, until their lanky (yet quick) striker blazed over.  I thought Moncur was the pick of their players, along with the other CM who I can't remember the name of.  But Moncur seemed calm in possession, had a couple of decent shots and played some lovely weighted passes to split our defence.  I think he'll go onto bigger things this summer.  

Their keeper was absolutely awful.  I've never seen a keeper throw the ball out of play 3 times in a match and scuff 2 clearances under gentle pressure.  I assume he just had a bad game, but it was comical at times.  

Thought the subs were good ones, they killed the game at the right time.

I also thought the ref was superb.  He made 2 mistakes (pulling play back when he maybe could have let it run, but that's his choice).  I thought he handled the handbags with Jack and the right back brilliantly, not giving either a yellow whilst some may have branded reds because hands were raised.  

Really good game. 

• Like 4

Â